Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Milford Star  (Read 67207 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Milford Star
« on: July 18, 2008, 06:07:13 pm »

Have just started this Caldercraft Kit having had to get delivery of a new hull to replace the damaged one in the box.

This kit is going to take sometime as the old breathing hasn't been to good lately and the glues dust etc are affecting me badly.

Have trimmed the top of the hull.

Fitted an oiling tube to the prop shaft and fixed the prop shaft.

Fixed the rudder and servo and waterproofed where necerssary.

Fixed the motor, a Graupner Speed 500 which might be to powerful

Wired up the Viper 15 Esc, the battery and the Rx temporarily just to make sure it all works. O0

Sigh of relief, works a treat.

Thats all for now, don't hold your breath for the next installment.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

offshore1987

Re: Milford Star
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 07:27:34 pm »

Looking good is that mate :)

Cant wait for the updates

All the best

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:22:35 pm »

Richard,

Milford Star is a lovely model and was originally designed by Frank Hinchliffe who I had the pleasure of knowing many years ago...

Keep posting the pictures so we can follow your progress, but watch that breathing lark.....It tends to be quite important you know O0

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 12:12:56 am »

Richard sorry to hear about you trouble with your chest etc BUT I think I might have a master plan so to speak,and NO I am not taking the preverbial here.I know it might sound a daft idea BUT how about an Air fed mask supplied from a compressor,OK it is a drastic step to take BUT might be worth considering.Yes Richard I know it is expensive and th compressor would HAVE TO BE OUTSIDE your shed or you would poison youself but even I would not want that!!! WELL ! no seriously it might be an option.I have enclosed so to speak a link to the 3m web catalogue,there are others available try your local motor factors or even machine mart.

Stavros

http://3m.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/catalog/media/3M_UK_ProductDirectory/?rfx_page=18

Proteus

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:26:21 am »

Dickey I appreciate that you have a bad chest but you may find it is only when you get the consentrated vapour that its bad i use a desk fan to pull air from the window to push the air out of my face that has any vapour or dust, it just cuts it down a bit may enable you to carry on , I tried a carbon mask and an air shield helmet , I would stop modeling before I would use them again.

Proteus

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 10:18:50 am »

Stavros thanks for the information, unfortunately I am saving for a stairlift at the moment so money is a bit tight.

I'm assuming you didn't actually mean what you said, and I quote "or you would poison youself but even I would not want that!!! WELL ! no seriously it might be an option."

;) O0

Proteus as you say when you have emphysema the last thing you want is an ordinary mask over your mouth. I do however have the desk fan which is constantly on. O0

Thanks all for your comments.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 11:46:20 am »

DickyD,
is there no way you could rig up a small fold away bench OUTSIDE your shed.
Then on the one or two sunny days you could work outside and give the neighbours the treat of seeing you work!!!   ;)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 12:10:06 pm »

O0

What a lot of people dont realise though is not only do you get shortness of breath with emphysema - you also have a lack of energy - it is like having lead weights on your arms and legs - and sometimes just to move is such an effort.   Nuff of the self-pity now for the Micky out of Dicky  {-) I know he can take it - cos he doesnt half give me some stick.   Shipmate, be careful, WORK is a threatening word to our Dicky  {-) {-) {-) are you sure you want the neighbours to be subjected to such an ordeal.

Dicky having a look at the photograph of the first hull they sent to you.  To me, it looks as though there has been no glass matting behind the gelcoat - so that is why it looks such a clean break - easily repaired though mate.   Boom defence vessel next eh??????  {-)

Answer me this question next my friend - I know you will be following the instructions; but, doesnt it say to put some internal stiffening around the inside of the hull at deck level first?  and then some cross bracing to ensure that the hull is not distorted and then add your internals - e.g. motor and prop tube.   It does look a good build mate, it has got the old grey matter thinking for the next project.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 12:21:04 pm »

Wasnt there a recent thread about a GRP hull "springing" and without the stiffeners fitted the Deck wouldnt fit correctly.
Just a word of warning then Dicky, check the dimensions of the hull to the deck, then fit the stiffeners as Bluebird suggests.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 04:14:23 pm »

OK you two, first off I dont want to frighten the neighbours or ruin my reputation by letting them see me work.

Secondly I have followed the instructions to the letter ( instructions  {-) {-) {-) )

Thirdly. ( Is there such a word as thirdly ?  :-\ ) I shall try the deck next before I go any further and then brace the hull. Although it is not mentioned in the notes.

Fourthly John, you should sleep at night and not spend all your time on here.  ;)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 05:41:42 pm »

DickyD,
2 things:

1, You actually HAVE a reputation with the neighbours, amazing!!  :angel:
2, I thought Instructions were only used when ALL ELSE had failed, a bit like asking for directions, you know a male thing!!  ::)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 07:47:50 pm »

Duckyd you know I meant it in jest O0Yes I fully appreciate what you mena about a mask,BUT there are types that are similar to a grinding mask and the air comes down from the top, mof the mask so to speak and you don't have a pure mask over your face.keep up the good work

Stavros

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 05:00:56 pm »

Well I braced the hull as ordered by bluebird (chairman of the Dont Get Your Boat Wet Club ) and just as I knew it would, the deck fitted, Phew !!  ::)

Bit of a problem with the forecastle deck and bulkhead. There is 8mm difference in size on the edge where they join. Still what the hell, 40 odd years as a carpenter reckon I might be able to sort it out. Bad though, should not have happened. >>:-(

Might do some more tomorrow.

FishdockBob

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 12:11:24 am »

Looking forward to watching your progress on this build DickyD. Being a newcomer to the hobby, and bias towards trawlers, fishing boats, It should be very educational to me. Also like you I have chest problems due to years of shotblasting and paint spraying in confined places (ships tanks etc). I have already discovered that I cannot use CA,s for more then a few mins or I have a very bad reaction with them and use aliphatic most of the time. Again I look forward to following your project good luck  O0

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 05:14:55 pm »

Hi Richard,

Hope your build of the Milford Star is going ok. Totally enjoying seeing your progress so far. I have an opportunity to buy this kit at a great price but was wondering what your overall opinion of the kit is? I know Caldercraft build Instructions can be skimpy and although I consider myself an avg. to intermediate builder, I do like good directions! ie. motor, servo and battery placements, etc.. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers.

Bill.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 06:32:18 pm »

Hi Bill
I haven't done much lately as I have not been well, or should I say I have been worse than usual.

The instructions for the kit are sparse to say the least.
You get one plan, not to scale.
You also get four drawings in the instructions  {-) one for the anchor winch, one for the trawl winch, one for the superstructure and one for the wheelhouse, these are all on one page, so first off I had to scan them and enlarge them so I could see them.
Positions of motors etc are shown on the not to scale drawing, but there are no dimensions.
There are also approximately one thousand white metal fittings that need cleaning up before you start.
I wiill say I have had one or two fittings missing, apart from the damaged hull to start with, and Jotika have replaced them all immediately with no problems.
Its not a kit for newbies and I would suspect that with the instructions you are given, no two will be the same.

Hopefully do some more soon, its not going to beat me. O0

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 06:44:54 pm »

Thanks for the info Richard. Hope you're feeling better real soon.  O0 Cheers.

Bill.

GaryM

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 11:23:19 pm »

Hi Richard
My Marie Felling (Caldercraft) has the same draw backs as you have, plan not to scale etc.
Don't know why the can't re draw it to scale?

Hope you feel better
regards
Gary :)

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 05:41:18 am »

Richard,

Any hull profiles shown on the plans or in the instructions so a proper boat stand can be made for this ship? One of my pet peeves with certain manufacturers who don't show this. The build of the model is hard enough! Hope you're feeling better. Cheers.

Bill.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 08:20:40 am »

Sorry Bill there are no profiles supplied I'm afraid.
I am still housebound unfortunately.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 05:10:13 pm »

Managed to make it down to the shed for a couple of half days this week and managed to get most of the really dusty jobs done thank goodness.

I have sorted out the electrics and fixed the Rx and Esc in their final positions. This I did after fixing the deck as I want to know I can get at all the important things if I have to.

As I said I have fixed the deck after making it fit and filling where it didnt.

I then sealed the joint between deck and hull by pouring thinned down epoxy resin into the hull and tilting the hull so the resin ran round the edge.

I then had to cut out the washports. The instructions for setting these out start with " Measure from the stern at the front" Promising Eh ?

Figured it out in the end by using my "not to scale drawing with lots of bits omitted for clarity"

Why they dont just give you a box of bits and a couple of decent photographs is beyond me, you'd be better off.

Still not to be defeated, think I might have a go at the superstructure tomorrow. O0

barryfoote

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 06:27:55 pm »

Richard,

Excellent start amigo. I am so glad that you have managed to get some work done on her. Keep it going and keep the health going too......Most important that!!!

Any way while everyone is at Llanberis, you may as well get on with her...

Barry

Weeds

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 06:41:01 pm »

that's a beautiful hull right there...

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 08:10:54 pm »

..... hello Marra .... glad to see you eventually got to your workshop or workshed.  How did you manage to cut your freeing ports out?   

Its looking really canny there mate...looking good.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 08:15:14 pm »

Drilled the corners and then used me Dremel angle grinder and a file to finish John. Dust nearly killed me. Still most of the real dust over now.
Next real problem will be the painting. :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.