Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Rescue Boat  (Read 19601 times)

fuelman8

Springer Rescue Boat
« on: July 19, 2008, 01:20:34 pm »

Would it be possible to use a Springer to rescue 4' - 5' vees and cats on the lakes?

I'm not sure how much power it would need or if the batteries would last long enough for a possible 10 minute rescue.

Any suggestions are welcome.

As you can tell I'm new to springers!

barryfoote

Re: Springer Rescue Boat
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 03:06:50 pm »

Build yourself a rescue boat and by definition it will perform rescues....de da :D :D

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 03:37:36 pm »

My Springer uses a 550 geared motor and will push our 8 foot rescue dinghy with one man in it.
So they should be up to the job.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 04:30:14 pm »

Would it be possible to use a Springer to rescue 4' - 5' vees and cats on the lakes?

I'm not sure how much power it would need or if the batteries would last long enough for a possible 10 minute rescue.

Yes, without a problem...  O0

I would suggest going the twin 6v 4.5ah batteries for more running time... i get about 2 - 3 hours on a full charge

djrobbo

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 07:16:22 pm »

YO DUDES !.....at our recent regatta day one of the guys managed to get the prop of his swordsman wrapped up on the mooring line of one of the course marker bouys...these are anchored down in the mud with a flower pot full of concrete . Cue fubar my rescue springer......this is a legal springer , no korts or big motors etc , runs on two 6 volt 5 amp hour batteries......Nudge up to the side of swordsman apply full forward and hey ho it picked up the swordsman and the anchor and pushed the whole lot to shore .....boat..flowerpot...mud...the whole shooting match...so don.t relly see much of a problem with recovering almost anything.....

regards...bob.

fuelman8

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 04:42:42 pm »

That's good to hear djobbo.

I think I'll be picking your brain as I go along if you don't mind?

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 05:26:43 pm »

I think I'll be picking your brain as I go along if you don't mind?

Eeeeeewwwwww... messy!  :P

djrobbo

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 07:14:04 pm »

Hi fuelman.......not a lot left to pick these days ...but feel free to ask , thats what were here for.........

regards....bob.

fuelman8

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 05:14:12 pm »

What is the angle of the drive shaft going through the bottom of the springer?

djrobbo

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 07:55:45 pm »

Hi ....i dont think there is a set angle........i try  to keep it as horizontal as possible...i.e paralell to the water line as this gives the maximum amount of thrust from the prop..........with regards to the prop......use a three blade for maximum thrust.....two blade will be faster but flat out speed is no good for a springer.......they try to become a submarine..... O0

regards......bob.

fuelman8

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:39:17 am »

Thanks Bob. Don't want to be a sub :(

fuelman8

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 09:59:31 am »

I've seen several different 540 motors and am not sure if I should get the geared or straight drive one :-\. What's the pros and cons of these motors?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

fuelman8

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 11:31:17 pm »

Thanks Martin

I had read that thread earlier and decided on a 540 motor, that's what made me ask about the pro's and cons of geared vs non-geared motors.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 01:03:48 pm »

My Springer was a Geared Robbe drive when it fell off the slipway!
I soon changed it to direct drive due to the 7.2volt & 40mm prop  limitations.... didn't have enough grunt.  :-\
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

fuelman8

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 05:13:54 pm »

Martin

So if I go with the 540, direct drive with a 38mm prop I should be ok.

Tony

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 05:25:30 pm »

Should be!

djrobbo

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 08:02:06 pm »

Hi tony.........both of mine use a standard 540 motor with a 38mm prop , straight drive ...no gearbox.......powered by two 6 volt 5 amp hour gel cells..joined together so its still 6 volt but lasts longer......cen never remember if its series or paralell :D........doh !

regards......bob.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 08:31:38 pm »

Fuelman, check Towboat Joe`s site for pictures of his recovery boat. A Springer could be adapted with his outrigger style pontoons as the "grab dock" , he has a few clips on Youtube.com that should be easy to find.  A floating yoke of some sort is needed to make sure the drowned boat stays in position during recovery, it isnt always just a straight push to the shore. Even more important if it is windy or rough water.   If the recovery takes place during a race or with other boats dashing about I think an armoured low profile top should be used, perhaps with a hi-viz balloon. Half inch ply sides and 1/4"ply top wont go wrong !!!!! :o  Check the shuffling and misses I had on calm windless day on www.youtube.com/MacSpringer .  All my Springers are bog standard 540 cheap generic motors , direct drive, cut down 40mm to 38mm plastic 3 blade prop. Like Robbo I use two 6v gell cels 4.5 ampHr batteries , still 6volts. I prefer a brass 40mm for speed and better reversing but drains battery quicker at my usual wide-open-throttle capers.     www.towboatjoe.com
..well can you land on this?

chingdevil

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 08:31:51 pm »

Bob parallell gives you the 6volts with longer cruising time, series would give you 12v but, if I remember not always half the cruising time. Something to do with the way the batteries discharge, can not remember what. I am sure there are other with more knowledge on electrics can explain it.

Brian

djrobbo

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 10:31:23 pm »

Must be parallel then brian ......6 volts with a longer run time is how it is....never can remember.........i put it down to a senior moment O0

regards...bob.

fuelman8

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 10:48:06 pm »

Thanks for the answers, plus the rescue vid which was cool. I had my question about gel cells answered before I asked it, you guys are good O0

I have a "yoke" made up already to install on the springer. It is long enough that when I go after a 50" boat it won't turn sideways when pushing it back.

I'll post some pics as I get a little further along.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 12:11:08 pm »

Fuelman,The floating pontoon rig was posted on youtube by Captain Nasty I think or Old River Bill but I`m sure Towboatjoe will chime in :embarrassed:
..well can you land on this?

fuelman8

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 02:45:11 pm »

I'd like to see that rig and make some changes to mine if necessary ;D

I glassed the inside of my rescue springer last night for some added strength and am not going to do the outside unless someone says I should. I am going to epoxy the outside and then paint it.

Arrow what do you consider a "cheap" price for a 540 motor?

barryfoote

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 04:02:49 pm »

A fiver..
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.