Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pilot Boat Britannia  (Read 6036 times)

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
Pilot Boat Britannia
« on: July 22, 2015, 11:45:40 pm »

Hello to All,

I just got home with this addition to my fleet ...

It is virtually finished, motor and radio installed. Just needs a charge up and go ... I think.

She hasn't been run for three or four years and was built in 2000/2001. The battery is out and on the cycling charger to see if it has any life in it. If not, then another will be required. The radio is a vintage Airtronics of the day and it apparently works fine but I need to try it with charged batteries, and do a very good range test. It is the Mountfleet kit and it looks pretty good, but I am looking for some ways to tart the old girl up a bit ... any ideas?

Tom

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Pilot Boat Britannia
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 10:04:44 pm »

A quick thought: the upper edge of the green stripe on the hull looks a bit ragged. This might be a trick of the camera, though.

Tom

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 10:37:34 pm »

Tom, you are correct! I hadn't noticed it but the green line isn't straight. I will have to fix that when she comes into the dry dock this winter.

Another question and I sort of know the answer, but ... the hull and houseworks are all moulded grp ... is there something I can use to remove the existing paint but not the detail? I have no idea what the paint is.

Tom

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 07:17:31 pm »

With regard to 'tarting the old girl up a bit' have a search on Google and see what other people have done. It is a fairly popular boat and sometimes by searching in reasonable depth you will come up with somebody who is very keen on putting quite a lot of detailed pictures up for all to see.

John

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 07:47:36 pm »

Apart from the beige colour section it looks great to me...... If it was mine I would probably just try adding a bit of colour detail to that section, hinges handles portholes etc. you are indeed a lucky chap. U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 08:21:44 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have googled but I need to look farther as I have only found a couple of pics ... one showing a long barding ladder that I need to make.

U2, I agree with adding some color. One of the chaps in our boat club is an excellent weathering kind of guy and he hasn't seen this yet. I am going to turn to him for some help ... and you are quite right, I am lucky to get this in this condition for a boat that was built in 2000.

Tom

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 12:13:26 am »

And here she is ... doing what she should be doing, not sitting on a consignment shelf in a hobby store ..

A wee list to port and a bit underpowered and under steered, but all in all, I am in love. My wife learned to handle her in about two minutes and already wants a boat of her own.

I am a happy man.

Tom

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 12:10:31 pm »

I have adjusted  the rigging to take away some of the "saggy rope" look. Other than that, for now, it will be run her the way she is.

This winter I will make a wee bit larger rudder and change over to an actual brass prop. These, combined with an electronic speed control instead of the old coil and wiper one that is in there now, will make this an excellent sailor.

To that end, is there anyone out there that has built one and still has the plan ... or can tell me ... how was the pot metal skeg attached to the hull? This one is a wee bit bent and I would like to fashion a solid brass one. If someone has the plan, a scan of just the skeg/rudder area would be lovely.

More pics later, after her morning toodle.

Cheers

Tom

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 12:05:13 pm »

I made a couple of rudder linkage adjustments and saw some improvement. I noticed that the stern was sitting a tad high in the water so I will put a bit more weight there.

All in all, she run's a bit better each time I take her out.

After this run, I noticed a bit of water in the bottom of the hull, so stripped out the motor and prop shaft, filled the stuffing box with new grease, and re assembled it all. In doing that I also noted some binding in the rudder linkage. I made those adjustments as well and she is now ready for a morning run.

Cheers

Tom

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 12:30:52 pm »

I don't like white metal for running gear either but you can use the parts provided to make up something more substantial in brass etc. as per photo below. As suggested above, you can also make the rudder a bit bigger if necessary while a brass prop will certainly be more efficient.

Colin

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 05:24:24 pm »

Thanks for the example Colin ... I will sit with a glass of refreshment and considerthe options.

The brass prop should be here next week. The rudder adjustments that I made have worked well and the steering is better, but not what I would like.  A winter dry dock project methinks.

Cheers

Tom

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 09:38:10 pm »

You got yourself a very nice boat there, & Colin's advice is perfect, the white metal rudders are junk. The boat must be in very good shape to work that well right away after siting for so long. Enjoy & I will be looking for you to post the winter refit photos. Mick B.
Mick B.

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 04:27:30 pm »

Thanks for the pics Colin, I will use them as an example.

Mick B., I have replaced the motor and speed control in the quest to find the cause of a stutter in the motor. I don't want it to cut out on me when it is in the middle of the river.

All in all, I am very pleased with the performance and she makes a lovely sight on the water. I have nearly 8 hours on the water now but it is nearly time to put her away for the winter.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.