Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: European Passenger Ferry kits (for RC)  (Read 102068 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: European Passenger Ferry kits (for RC)
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2008, 05:28:50 pm »

The ships is now named Astoria I beleve. Saw her in Copenhagen in May:

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2008, 05:45:39 pm »

very nice don. :-)) Can i ask you on how you found the quality of the kit and the value for money. The reason i ask , is i look at the robin hood  ferry. From the photos the mouldings looked good  but the price was steep € 786.

john

Hi John

It was not a kit as such but a hull and some optional laser cut  panels for the sides, bridge and funnels. i.e. all the areas which had the windows and doors cut out.

The GRP hull is very good but much of it had to be cut away and replaced with the laser cut styrene panels. Other than that you are on your own in providing styrene sheet both white and transparent for the glazing. The plans are not modelling plans but scale layouts of all the hull and decks. Well executed but tricky to interpret without the optional set of photos (and I still needed to download other photos from the internet in her various incarnations as  "Astor" - "Arkona" - "Astoria").

At the current rate of exchange to the euro I would not have purchased - I am not that rich  {:-{

If there is interest I could post a photo construction thread.

Don B.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2008, 05:52:52 pm »

hi don thanks for the reply. Your answer was what i suspected about his kits.   A build thread would be great if you had the time

john

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2008, 05:59:34 pm »

If there is interest I could post a photo construction thread.

Yes please!  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

hama

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2008, 08:16:09 pm »

Oh yes please Welsh Druid, I too have been watching their site and dreamt of the fantastic models there. I thought the Bremen seemed a nice size and reasonable prized, but as always too many dreams, not enough money. So, a build log would be very appreciated!
BTW, your model looks fantastic!!
Hama.

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2008, 09:48:43 pm »

Hello everyone!

Here are some recent sequence photos taken in the port of Barcelona of the ferry "Isla de Botafoc" arriving from some unknown destination (possibly one of the Spanish islands). It was impressive watching the bow thrusters of the ferry in action, and it certainly needed them because the docking area was quite small. The quality of the photos is not brilliant because it was very overcast and getting dark.

Cheers
Simon  %)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2008, 10:06:39 pm »

Earlier in this thread reference was made to the products of Steinhagen and I replied.

I have now reached the stage where my model of the cruise ship "Arkona"  from a hull by this manufacturer has been in the water. Its not yet finished in all details but the attached photo shows it on its maiden voyage last Sunday.

Don B.

Very nice Don! I'm green with envy; I'd love to get my hands on a built/part built ferry model, as time and space problems prevent me from building one at the moment. I did once eye up the excellent Robbe Hanseatic kit as a compromise (as it is not a ferry as such) but it is way out of my financial league sadly.  >>(

Simon

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2008, 10:12:21 pm »

hi simon very nice here a photo of her back in the good old days of BR SEALINK  at the st christopher

john

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hhvferry.com/saintsxx.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hhvferry.com/doversaints.html&h=750&w=638&sz=148&hl=en&start=13&um=1&usg=__x5KceQ0T9adOWyc3r3Y79o9ZBps=&tbnid=n-V0kp-EhG3xnM:&tbnh=141&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsealink%2Bst%2Bchristopher%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

Excellent John! Great info and very nostalgic. I remember the British Rail Sealink ferries from Weymouth to the Channel Islands and France very well. I used to live in Dorset and visits to Weymouth were quite frequent. How sad it is that they've gone from there...

Cheers
Simon  {:-{

barryfoote

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2008, 08:57:29 am »

Here are some recent sequence photos taken in the port of Barcelona of the ferry "Isla de Botafoc" arriving from some unknown destination (possibly one of the Spanish islands).

Simon,

You are quite right. The Isla de Botafoc does run between Barcelona and several of the Balearic Islands..

Barry

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2008, 12:27:44 pm »

Thanks for the info Barry!

Cheers
Simon  :-)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2008, 10:30:20 pm »

hi Simon here a diffrent photo. It shows the pride of dover in her 1ST livery. By the time the pride of Calais came in to service she was painted in to P/O livery. So the pride of dover was the last boat ever built for towsend thorsen .

john

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2008, 10:41:51 pm »

hi simon very nice here a photo of her back in the good old days of BR SEALINK  at the st christopher

john

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hhvferry.com/saintsxx.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hhvferry.com/doversaints.html&h=750&w=638&sz=148&hl=en&start=13&um=1&usg=__x5KceQ0T9adOWyc3r3Y79o9ZBps=&tbnid=n-V0kp-EhG3xnM:&tbnh=141&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsealink%2Bst%2Bchristopher%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

Hello John!

Very nice photo of the Townsend ferry.

It took me a while to realise that the "Isla de Botofoc" in my photos was in fact the old BR Sealink Ferry "St.Christopher"! I thought there was a close resemblance except that the Spanish owned ferry has had its aft deck lengthened.

Simon  %)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2008, 10:45:20 pm »

hi simon see if you can work out who this old girl was

john

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2008, 11:08:43 pm »

One of the old Townsend ferries?  Don't know which one though... ::)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2008, 05:38:42 am »

hi there she was 1st spirit of free enterprise then she became the pride of Kent were she was increased in length.

i must say i do miss the old towsend thoresen boats with there bright red hull. they seamed to add a bit of colour .

john

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2008, 07:43:27 am »

The Steinhagen seems to be up and running now:  http://www.steinhagen-modelltechnik.de/

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

Paularai

« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2008, 08:42:34 pm »

hi Simon There a revell 1:400 kit of the ferry Finnjet. She is 213m long so the model is about 53cms long so RC is possible. Now here the bad bit,they are as rare as hen teeth, i been after one for awhile . The fetch TOP TOP dollar on ebay good luck .

Simon is a kit you are after or would you go down the hull+plans or full scratch build root.

john

Just to say Revell are re releasing Finnjet in Jan 09 see www.finnjet.com if yu want one, i believe there about euro 22

Christian

« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2009, 07:22:18 pm »

Dear Mayhemmers,

Does anyone know if there are, or have been, any kits of European passenger ferries (as opposed to cruise liners) suitable for RC? This seems to be an area of the hobby which is not well covered and there are some very attractive prototype examples out there...

Cheers
polobeer  :angel:
[Dear polobear,
I bought a hull and plans (scale 1:100) of the european passenger and car ferry "Prinz Oberon" from Modellbau Günther Schmidt in Germany ten years ago. I don´t know whether or not it is still available. I attached a photo of the half completed modell.]

hama

« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2009, 07:26:40 pm »

I'd love one of those, looks really nice! Please show us more if you can and tell a little about your beautiful model.
Hama.

Christian

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2009, 05:05:58 pm »

[Hello hama,
I bought the hull and the plans (1:100) 10 years ago for aprox. 200€. The model is not shown in the catalogue of Modellbau Schmitt, but it wasn´t shown 10 years ago when I bought it. Modellbau Schmitt builds models for yards and shipping companies but sells some of their models to modellers, too. I just asked the company whether or not they sell a modell of a ferry. I can tell you some expereiences I have made with the modell.

1. It is a lot of work, just think of the many many windows to cut out etc.
2. I would highly recomend to control all the engines independently (2 main engines and bow thruster) as the model drifts sidewards a lot in even light winds. That is not a problem if you go fast with the modell, but berthing in a decent way without the independent control of the engines would just be impossilble.
3. Never put such a modell out in high winds. I did it once. The model caught wind on its beam an refused to turn around again even with full ahead on both engines and the rudder hard to port. It driftet across the whole pond with water pouring in through the windows due to the big heel angle. It is a fair whether modell.
4. You have to save weight in the superstructur to avoid the above mentioned big heel angles in high winds

I like to steer the vessel a lot because of the above mentioned steering behaviour. It is never booring.

Christian]

hama

« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2009, 07:41:26 pm »

Hi Christian!
Thanks a lot for the information. That is really a very nice model you built, thanks for showing this beauty.
Hama.

Christian

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2009, 08:21:48 pm »

Hi Christian!
Thanks a lot for the information. That is really a very nice model you built, thanks for showing this beauty.
Hama.
[Hello Hama,

there is a modell kit (1:100) of the Kong Harald by "PK Modell" (I think it is a norwegian company). I don not know the price of the kit. The Kong Harald is a ship of the norwegian coastal service operated by Hurtigruten. I don´t know whether or not you can call this vessel a ferry. It has a small garage. I attached a photo I found in the net. I think the same modell is (or was) also offered by the company "Krick", but I am not sure. Christian]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.