Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: smit nederland  (Read 5569 times)

dino

smit nederland
« on: March 15, 2008, 01:06:23 pm »

Hi, I'm a newby so please be gentle !!I have rescued a neddy that has been abused,missedused and genarlly messed with my problem is the rudder assemblle seems to be welded together with soooooper glue can anyone please tell me how it should be assembled so it works propally ??

Ta much like
                                                    Dino

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: smit nederland
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 01:14:02 pm »

Hi, I'm a newby so please be gentle !!I have rescued a neddy that has been abused,missedused and genarlly messed with my problem is the rudder assemblle seems to be welded together with soooooper glue can anyone please tell me how it should be assembled so it works propally ??

Ta much like
                                                    Dino

If you can unbolt the rudder assembly from the hull, do so, then place the whole rudder assembly in a tray of laquer thinner overnight. Cover the tray to reduce the egress of fumes and place it in a spot that won't fill the house with fumes. By the next morning the super glue should be soft enough to start moving things. When that happens apply generous quantities of WD40 until it moves free to your liking.

oldiron

dino

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:21:52 am »

Thanks for the tip about the varnish remover it worked! ( after a lot of swearing) the thing is the shaft that comes out of the rudder blade should fit inside a tube which is fitted to the hull should'nt it? if I can get past this bit I should be able to re-assemble it back into the hull there does'nt appear to be enough bits. But I will not give in thanks once again  for your help.
                                            Dino

banjo

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:42:55 am »

Becker rudder

A couple of pics of becker rudder for my old boat; do these help?

I could take one to pieces and photo' it for you

:)

Captain Povey

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 08:12:24 am »

Hello Dino, My Smitty also had the rudders completely fixed but with paint. I took them out and completely stripped them down to free them off. You are right there is a tube that comes up from the rudders and is clamped to the hull. Out of that, above the water line comes a rod that the steering arm is attached to. I have attached a copy of the rudder from the plans if that helps. If you cannot open it I can send it as an attachment to and email if you let me have your address. Failing that I can post a copy. Cheers Graham.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:04:38 pm »

On the subject of the rudders on a Neddy, I took mine apart and repainted them. Could have done with that part of the plan, Captain, so could you email it to me as well please so I have it for 'next time'.

Also, has anyone had problems with the linking pins at the top coming out when the rudder is put hard over? The previous owner of mine put in a mechanical stop to try and prevent this but it wasn't effective. I've now set the EPA on the rudder channel to around 55% to prevent the pins coming out and hope that sea trials coming up soon will show this to be enough throw. If not, any ideas?

Andy

andrew (at) andrew-gilbert.com
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Captain Povey

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 12:11:34 pm »

Hi Andy, Email on its way. Yes my rudders have occassionally jammed, usually when I switch the thing on in the wrong order. I think my servos have limited throw. Well I hope so as I do not know how to change them as you have described. Cheers Graham

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 12:14:33 pm »

On the subject of the rudders on a Neddy, I took mine apart and repainted them. Could have done with that part of the plan, Captain, so could you email it to me as well please so I have it for 'next time'.

Also, has anyone had problems with the linking pins at the top coming out when the rudder is put hard over? The previous owner of mine put in a mechanical stop to try and prevent this but it wasn't effective. I've now set the EPA on the rudder channel to around 55% to prevent the pins coming out and hope that sea trials coming up soon will show this to be enough throw. If not, any ideas?

Andy

andrew (at) andrew-gilbert.com

I'm just starting to build my Neddy and I've noticed the same problem with the rudder linkage coming out of their pins when hard over. I suspect I'll do the same as the chap you mentioned in as much as I'll put mechanical stops on the rudders. I'm going to be using it for towing competition and I don't want it to fail in mid course.

oldiron

dino

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 12:55:53 pm »

hello Everyone, Thanks a lot for all the help with the rudder . Problem SORTED I now just have to attack the rest of the jobs the original builder has bogged up. Out comes the hammer an chisel ( only joking) .

Ta Everyone
                                                                    Dino

banjo

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 02:24:40 pm »

It is my understanding that the Becker rudder, by design, gives sufficient steerage without being driven to the servo limit.  The "pin" is escaping because it is over driven.

Is this not correct?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 03:50:44 pm »

It is my understanding that the Becker rudder, by design, gives sufficient steerage without being driven to the servo limit.  The "pin" is escaping because it is over driven.

Is this not correct?

In my case you may well be right. Since I haven't installed them yet, time will tell. To this point I've only worked them in my hand and probably got carried away.

oldiron

banjo

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 07:05:18 pm »

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 07:54:41 pm »

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 10:17:55 pm »

I'm now waiting on some fine weather and some free time for sea trials. Full rudder on my Heighton (a Southampton with enlarged rudders) looks slightly alarming at full speed. Tarring (Mountfield's Active) with its big steerable kort never goes fast enough to roll much, but she is a gem at low speed manoeuvering. It will be interesting to see how Denton (ex neddy) performs.

Some TX's have variable end point adjustment (EPA) that lets you match maximum stick movement to a limited movement of the servo. It was trial and error in my case. I started at 80% and kept coming down until the pins stayed in! The only trouble I could see with the mechanical stop is that you could never tell just how much throw you were using and as a result the servo could be pushing hard against the stop without you knowing. Long term, I doubt if that would have been a good thing.

I wanted 6 channel R/C, so I could have two ESC's, then add a bow thruster, fire monitor and maybe a working winch, so I went for the Futaba 6EXA. Being able to set the EPA is a bonus, as is the ability to mix channels, so I can put port and starboard motors on one stick for general cruising, and set this up as a second 'model', leaving the twin stick operation for when I need manoueverability.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

banjo

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 10:52:30 pm »

;)
Getting the correct rudder throw isn't mechanically difficult its a question of the differing length of servo arm compared to the rudder arm.
I am going to use a cable connection so as to maintain the watertight integrity of the tiller compartment.

Captain Povey

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 07:31:40 am »

Hi Andy, Congratulations it sounds like a very sophisticated and useful set up. Any chance of some photos on the water. Cheers Graham.

Captain Povey

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 03:30:52 pm »

Hello all, Well I finally got my Smit Nederland on the water and very pleased I was too. The guys at the Droitwich Spa Club were very friendly and helpful. She listed a bit to port and needs a bit more weight on the stern. She ran for more than an hour without problems. I have attached a few photos of the event. Cheers Graham

Captain Povey

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 03:40:33 pm »

Oops posted the same picture twice. I meant to put one in of the venue. Here it is. Perhaps a moderator can edit it for me. Thanks. Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.