Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yacht Victoria (T/Tiger)  (Read 2295 times)

Langsford

Yacht Victoria (T/Tiger)
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:02:41 am »

I seem to think there has been a review of this model recently, either in Model Boats or Marine Modelling International, but with my "senior brain" I can't recollect which one!!!!!! Can anyone help or, better still, has anyone built her and what are the opinions?
Cheers, John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Yacht Victoria (T/Tiger)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:12:30 am »

I have a Victoria

Well used and abused.
Good fun.
I like it a lot, it is simple to build. It would take an absolute novice 20 hours, or a skilled modeller about 5 (plus glue drying time).

She sails nicely out of the box. Not too good in very light air, but can take a pounding in heavier winds. she only has a 9" draft so great for ponds that are shallow at the edges. At almost 700mm she also looks like a proper model and does not look at all toy-like.

What I did wrong or would do different, and what went wrong.
- I did not score the inside of the hull with sandpaper before gluing in the radio tray, it came adrift and this meant the controls went slack. Luckily I was only on a small pond.
- All the knots came undone, but now fixed with superglue.
- Most of the boom fitting slipped, need to clean the booms thouroughly before glueing with epoxy. and I used more glue.
- all the anchors for the stays will come off. But on reglueing they are rock solid. So don't dismay. You will see on other blogs that people think they are crap and go out and get metal fittings. There really is no need.
- the wheels add to the scale appearance, but this is not a detailed scale model. I find mine catch the sheets and cause tangles. I would not fit them, or the 'v' shaped plastic that supports them.

-The rigging and set up of the sail arm, as per the instructions is not so good. The use of knots and cleats may look more scale like, but they are the weakest point of the model.
Go to this website
http://www.victoriarc.org/newsclipping01.htm
They show a more sane way of rigging.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Langsford

Re: Yacht Victoria (T/Tiger)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:13:20 pm »

Thanks guys. Now I realise where I saw the review, it wasn't in a magazine at  all. My brain has gone to sleep but I guess I'm not alone!!!!!!! :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.