Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Admiral's quarters.  (Read 2948 times)

admiral Onassis

The Admiral's quarters.
« on: July 23, 2008, 05:59:54 am »

Hi and thank you in advance for welcoming me into your forum.  A little about myself, I am originally from Tasmania, and have lived in Los Angeles for the past fifteen years working in the film business in various capacities. The last five years, I have lived in Echo Park, which is home to a large pond. (small Lake) A couple of friends and I have recently formed the Echo Park Yacht Club, and procured a small fleet of sailing vessels which we sail in the lake to the delight of the actresses, models and transients who frequent our fine Lake.  We took a visit to George at Victor Models in Downey where a V 32 was procured, and is currently being built by my associate Commodore Wessman.  The rest of the fleet has come from yard sales and for sale listings on the internet, and includes, a half built (very badly) Mary J Ward (which I'm currently finishing) three thirty inch hulls which were bought from Victor models and used as movie props.. Two gorgeous handmade wooden pond yachts which a guy I met's great grandfather built before the first world war, an avalon 44 another fully built V32 and a one meter Australia 2.. I think that's all of them.. I got a little carried away.. Oh well.. I'll post pictures soon. I am particularly interested in rigging my Mary J Ward with topsails and a flying jib..  Cheers all.. Admiral Onassis.

barryfoote

Re: The Admiral's quarters.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:51:55 am »

Welcome Admiral.

Don't forget the first rule of this forum!!!!Phots, photos and more photos..

Barry

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:48:57 pm »

admiral,

Where were you in Tassie, as I am from Deloraine......

Welcome aboard mate.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Don

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 11:54:19 pm »

In this form, look for the "Mary J Ward Build", for some help on the sails.

admiral Onassis

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 04:19:35 am »

Ahoy.  I'm going to attempt to post some photos.  These are the pics the great grandson of the builder of these boats sent me when I found his listing.. The boats are pre WW1 and very nicely patina'd..  I'm struggling with the notion of restoring them or displaying them.  I'm not sure what would be proper. I assume the builder would want his boats to sail again, as they are undoubtedly designed to do so.. The smaller vessel has a retractable keel, prtetty neat, I'll post pics as soon as I am able.  I'm from the Tamar Valley in Tas.  Deviot to be precise. Pulp mill country. (im very much against ) My family own Marion's Vineyard.
Question. As  I am planning on rigging sails kind of like tigertiger on my MJW, is it advisable to raise the masts four inches or so by building new couplings in the hull?  I extended the bowsprit a good five inches, and added three inches to the stern..  I'll post pictures soon. I promise.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 04:31:39 am »

Hi there.

Restoring a boat and putting it back on the water is an admirable pursuit.
You need to consider if you want to 'RC' it or leave it as a pond sailer.
Another option for a pond sailer is to buy self steering gear for the model, I cannot remeber what is called exactly, '...something...vane gear' perhaps.

Ref MJ Ward
There is no need to extend the masts. As the tops attach to the topmast.
If you do extend the masts you will increase the heeling forces, this will require a longer keel, or heavier keelbulb. The MJW seems well balanced, and with topsails she can heel over a lot in a moderate wind. A taller mast with topsails could be too much for her.

Ref the bowsprit. I extended mine by 7" or 7 1/2" I think.

I fixed my bowsprit fast to the deck, but if I was to do it again I would make it removable. For ease of transport. And if you crash head on it is better if the bowsprit can break free of a mount, and no get ripped out of the deck. This has not happened, but could if I crashed healong into the dock.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 04:48:01 am »

Welcome Admiral.

Don't forget the first rule of this forum!!!!Phots, photos and more photos..

Barry

First rule is be nice to everybody. :angel:
Then post photos.  ;)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.