Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Odin Tug  (Read 9430 times)

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
Robbe Odin Tug
« on: August 14, 2006, 04:12:33 pm »

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing the Robbe Odin tug kit and was just wondering if anyone has built this boat and has any comments about it. ie. positives and negatives? Many thanks. Cheers.

Bill.

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Robbe Odin Tug
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 04:39:38 pm »

I built mine about two years ago easy steady build only real problem is that when it is built it is quite heavy something I didn't think about ;can be a problem getting in and out of the car and in and out of the water depending where you sail .Nice looking model when finnished had thought about selling mine due to it's size and my age but I still have it and still enjoy sailing it
                             Cheers
                                 Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 04:56:03 pm »

Thanks for the info Bob. I too am concerned about the weight and size of this behemoth! Two 12 volt batteries installed in this tug are really gonna make it heavy to get in out of the water. Not sure how easily they can be removed. Real nice looking tug though. Still contemplating. Cheers.

Bill.

flybobby

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 05:35:39 pm »

What scale is the odin? and what are the overall dimensions?  I am looking at a tug for my next project ???
Thanks

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 05:43:11 pm »

Odin is 1/25 Scale, 1200 mm in length. All up finish running weight estimated to be about 18-20 kg.

Bill.

flybobby

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 10:48:50 pm »

Odin is 1/25 Scale, 1200 mm in length. All up finish running weight estimated to be about 18-20 kg.

Bill.
Thats a beast!! :o

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 11:41:51 pm »

That it is, don't own one myself, but i have seen pictures of this boat pulling a row boat with two small kids on board.

flybobby

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 07:15:31 pm »

Thats quite a achievement!  What do Robbe kits go together like? The only experience I have with them is a large fire moniter, which went together very well. ???

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 07:35:09 pm »

What are Robbe kits like? Very variable in my fairly limited experience. I helped a friend to sort out the inevitable problems with an S-130, and it wasn't easy, the hull & deck mouldings just didn't fit at all, though I'm told that later kits are a little better. Same friend then decided to take on an Odin, against my recommendation, though without the problem of joining two large floppy plastic mouldings, the Odin was  much better, friend managed most of it on his own. Biggest problem for me is that German kits do always look a bit toy-like when they're finished, not a very convincing scale model really, but it does sail well. I'm just not a fan of vac-formed hulls, vac-formed mouldings generally in fact.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 08:18:11 pm »

My father built the Robbe Neptun, which is just a baby Odin. The kit is designed very well indeed, the quality of components is first rate! Although i would have to agree in the previous post, the model is rather toy like in looks, but the Robbe models in general are of good design and will last and last, so i would recommend  a Robbe for sure.

Oh...the vac formed parts do save time in the long run, but they're a "xxxxx" to cut out!!!...you'll have sore hands for weeks.

Regards:Voyager

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 08:37:29 pm »

Main problem I have found with both the Odin and Neptune is that once the motor is fitted it is very difficult to get at .
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

ron h

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 10:52:17 pm »

Bill.

Just a tiddler then, I would throw it back.  ;D ;D

flybobby

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 11:13:32 pm »

If I were in the market for a large scale tug, what are your suggestions?
Not really a fan of vac-formed mouldings either, much prefer a nice fibre-glass hull.  Toyish looks are a turn off too! ::)

There are plenty about to choose from, I could ponder on the one to choose for longer than it would take to build!! ::)

pdryden

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 07:22:51 pm »

Flybobby,

Take a look at Tyne models web site, then give Les a ring, you will find very friendly people selling an excellent product. Even on all the forum posts you wont hear a bad word said against the company or its product.

Peter

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 07:36:28 pm »

One of our members has got Odin and yes it does take two of us to launch but one strong person Can lift out of the water.One way to launch is to put the batts in after placing hull in water,without the batts and superstructure it is well manageable

Roger in France

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 08:10:40 am »

There are some good, large tugs about. Have a look at the Mayhem page which lists all tugs by maker. I am about to build "Tito Neri" because I like the drive units. But look at "Paratt" if you like Voith Schneider drives. The answer to great weight is (as was said) to make the batteries removable and to design any additional ballast to be removable.

Roger in France.

TorViking

• Shipmate
  • The Tug Man
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 11:29:40 pm »

Hey Dash8man,
See the reply I gave to voyager,you won't go wrong!!!

Best wishes
andy.

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 10:49:08 am »

I agree with all that Stavros said about the Odin at Llanberis but as Peter recommended the Tyne Models tugs I will comment further. I have just completed a Tyne Models "Northsider".  At 18 Kgs it is in the same weight area as the "Odin" but very slightly bigger.  Performance with both using similar car heater motors on 12 volts is almost identical - however the turning circle of "Odin" with its Cort nozzle is better than the "Northsider". In reverse though the "Odin" is rather poor whereas "Northsider" with its huge prop is excellent. ( A model belonging to a certain St----- was sunk by the "Odin" because the reverse on the tug wasn't powerful enough  to stop in time  >:()

Running "Northsider" on 24 volts ( I have two 12v 7amp batteries which can be in series or parallel) gives an enormous increase in power( almost too much) and it leaves "Odin" standing. I am going to try 18 volts as a compromise this weekend.

Remember though that the Tyne Models tugs are a semi-kit - the quality of the GRP hull and superstructure is excellent, there are lots of quality fittings supplied ( but no running gear of course) and a plan which is good but I needed some photos to clarify some points. After that you are on your own - it is an experienced modellers kit but makes up into a very fine tug.

Don B
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.