Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What next , Smokers to be flogged ?  (Read 13847 times)

Proteus

What next , Smokers to be flogged ?
« on: July 25, 2008, 06:34:46 am »

As an ex smoker of over 30 years I am very anti smoking, but I think people should be able to have there little pleasures(expert Max Mosley) But I think this is going a little to far to stop people having a little pleasure,

Painter fined for smoking in van  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7524526.stm

Proteus

barryfoote

Re: What next , Smokers to be floged ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 07:10:08 am »

Absolute lunacy and i am sure he will have the fine overturned on appeal but what a waste of public money....AGAIN..

That said, smoking in a vehicle whilst driving can be as dangerous as using a mobile phone.....It does cause accidents..

Barry

Proteus

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 07:21:12 am »

I don't even think you have to be driving,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/7025671.stm

and Labour wonder why they are getting such a Kicking
Proteus

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: What next , Smokers to be flogged ?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:45:04 am »

Thats this non smoking law I'm afraid. Any company vehicle is actually a workplace and we all know you are not allowed to smoke in your workplace. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Should have brought this law in years ago. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

bigfella

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 08:52:52 am »

Governments are starting to realize that the tax from cigarettes is not keeping pace with the cost of smoking related health problems. In fact the balance has swung towards the cost of health problems and they are doing everything they can to stop smokers, albeit by stealth.

Proteus

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:53:25 am »

yes but the van was not a works van, it was his own transport taxed as a private vehicle.

Proteus

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 09:11:59 am »

yes but the van was not a works van, it was his own transport taxed as a private vehicle.

Proteus
As it would appear that this chap is self employed you can bet your sweet life his accountant offsets his van running costs against his tax bill.
I have been in a similar position and my accountant claimed fer everything on my "privately" taxed van. By the way there is only one tax duty on vans, private or business.
To say he uses it to only travel to and from work takes some believing. If thats all he uses it for, why not use the bus. Sorry forgot about ladders steps paint etc.
It is still classed as a workplace.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 09:36:54 am »

Extract of the smoking legislation sent to our offices:

All public transport (including taxis, trains and buses) plus business vehicles that may carry more than one specified employee need to display a sign containing a smoking prohibition symbol of at least 70mm diameter in each compartment that could carry passengers (e.g. a black cab must have a sign in the front and the rear of the taxi)

If the vehicle is registered in his own name or is self employed - he might just get away with it

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: What next , Smokers to be flogged ?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 09:43:24 am »

If you are self employed your whole life becomes part of your business, all monies in, all monies out and all property and vehicles appertaining to the business so I cant see he will get away with it.

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 10:28:14 am »

I think you are all missing the point. It is just another nail in the coffin of this nanny state, If smoking is so bad (and it is, I smoked for 35yrs) why not just make tobacco a class A drug and ban it totally? because the gov make so much money from it, if they can make money from something they will, the idea of taxes is to give the gov enough money to run the country not to give the maximum they can get. Just where is all the money going in this gov?

Nige, tax payer, pension payer, vat payer, road tax payer.
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 11:47:16 am »

why not just make tobacco a class A drug and ban it totally?

For rather practical reasons I would think. If they can't control the existing drugs supply (to a much smaller number of people), how could they do it with a large market of smokers?

Second reason, the bright people who tried to impose that concept would likely spell the end of their days in power. Do it by niggling petty methods, don't use a large hammer to crack the problem. People might just react - end of your gravy train life.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 11:51:45 pm »

with vehicles it is a very grey area, what if a truck driver, (who is an owner - operator meaning that that nice swanky Daf 95 Spacecab, all £90,000 of it, is owned by the driver), is smoking in his cab with his tachograph out of the tachograph reader because he is out of his hours, and parked in a layby, that cab is no longer his work space, BUT his home for the weekend.

surely there has to be an ounce of common sense somewhere.  if you smoke at home, you can get fined if you are smoking in there whilst a plumber or carpet fitter is in YOUR HOUSE working.  I dont smoke, but I can see that this so called smoking law has so many gray areas it's rediculus.  what next, passenger cant smoke if driver is non smoker, or driver is not allowed to smoke because passenger is non smoker?  come on guys who make these laws get real and come to the real world!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 12:37:45 pm »

I think the real world ended in the late sixties.
I think I can still remember enjoying my self withought getting fined or imprisoned.

ronkh

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 01:02:47 pm »

I have heard that you can get fined if your passenger is a non-smoker. There was certainly a guy who was fined in Wales for smoking in his van (£30) yesterday or Thursday - which he uses for getting to work, is his own van, his passenger was smoking (no fine), and the zealots of the Mad Mullah (Bronstien?) wouldn't listen to him trying to explain that the van is not a works vehicle but a private van. I think that someone in the same part of the country was cautioned for letting passive smoke get through to her next door neighbours house!!
Wonder what other restrictions the elf n safety lot will come up with. It certainly looks like it will never end no matter what you do.

Ron.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 01:54:45 pm »

at work they gave us a talk about this.
1 an car,van ,truck,etc that is used for work or owned by a company multi national or 1 man band is a work place on exceptions. There is no grey it black and white look at the government web sit.
2. In your own house or shed if you have an office or workshop were you carry out work that form part of your living income IE your job this to is a work place and comes under the no smoking regs. So if you had a company that made model boats and sold them to make a living IE your job . You did this in your shed this is you work place and comes under the same rules.
john

PS the government have gone to town on this to make sure the maxum amount of fines can be achieved to of set losed income from reduced smoking tax income.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 02:14:21 pm »

The law is very straight forward about smoking in company vehicles, if it as he says and he is the only person that uses the van then he will be OK, if other employees travel in it then it is against the law.
End of case.
(It is one of the best laws of recent times.....now lets ban chewing gum as well...nasty stuff >>:-()

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 02:22:35 pm »

Here in Canada we have at least two provinces (Ontario and Nova Scotia) that made it illegal to smoke in cars with children present. Here in Ontario its unusual to see a smoker in a public place.
  When smoking was banned in the workplace, smokers gathered around the building entrance doors for a fag, now that has been banned too. On that note its interesting because many non smoking workers have been complaining about their smoking work mates getting copius "smoking breaks" during the day, while the non smokers can only get their usual coffee and lunch breaks.
  Southwestern Ontario used to be the center for tobacco farms, however, to do down there now you only see a fraction of the tobacco grown as compared to ,say, twenty years ago.

oldiron

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 03:22:12 pm »

Smokers to be floged ?

Perhaps they should be invited to a soiree with a motor racing supremo?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

djrobbo

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 08:33:23 pm »

Hi guys...i dont smoke so i don't really care one way or the other , but i would have thought that if you drive a van to and from work and you want to smoke without being nicked by the smoking nazi's then take the passenger seat out. surely if you cant carry a passenger then you are not breaking the law , even as stupid as it is O0

regards........bob.

GaryM

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 09:54:40 pm »

The problem is though you can't smoke in a company vehicle that may be used by another driver or passenger and I don't think any excuse would be allowed as you cannot Absolutely Guarantee it.

What really gets my goat is the fact that lorries, vans, cars, motorcycles, factories pump out far more pollutants than smokers, yet they are not treated in the same way, I suppose the smoker is the 'easy' target.

You go to the doctors with a chesty cough - the first question is "how many do you smoke" not
"how many times have you walked down a busy road" or "been by any factories lately"

Don't get me wrong, I smoke and I enjoy it and I know it's bad for me, (along with sugar, salt, fat, alchol)  but I fell that many diagnosed health problems are attributed to smoking as a 'PC' easy option
Are there any figures to show how many people have died through vehicle emissions, factory emissions?
I would like to see figures on expenditure for research for smoking versus vehicle / factory emissions and effects.

regards
Gary :)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 10:22:35 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I smoke and I enjoy it and I know it's bad for me, (along with sugar, salt, fat, alchol)  but I fell that many diagnosed health problems are attributed to smoking as a 'PC' easy option

regards

Gary I think you should maybe read reply 58 on this posting   http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4693.40

O0

d-jnana

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 10:32:55 pm »

Has any body realised that smoking whilst driving is in fact "driving without due care and attention," as is eating or making a phone call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 10:36:55 pm »

now I dont smoke, but ask me to run 100m and i will probably get to 75m before dropping in a heap! this I equate to secondary smoke (relatives smoke), and industrial air pollution. 
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

GaryM

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 10:52:32 pm »

Hi Richard

I've read your thread and found it very sobering.

I hope I haven't offended you; or others, if so then I apologise.

I just think that 'everything' is attributed to smoking, either directly or indirectly, with no real search for the actual cause.  (be it smoking or other)

I guess that even if I was right, the outcome of a smoking witch hunt would be a healthier society.

regards

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 10:59:44 pm »

Hi Gary

No you havent offended me at all, it was just that I was picking up the "it wont happen to me" vibes which is what I thought a few years back and I wanted to show you that it can. O0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.