Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What next , Smokers to be flogged ?  (Read 13959 times)

FullLeatherJacket

Re: What next , Smokers to be flogged ?
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2008, 08:31:34 am »

hands up those who have drunk a soda or consumed candy whilst at the wheel?

"Soda"? "Candy"?? In Stoke-on-Trent? ??? Come back to the UK, Mark - you're far too skinny to be American, anyway.

Someone should remind these imbeciles in Worstmonster that you can legislate until the cows come home but when your police force are all tied up in paperwork or so-called "safety camera" duties then there's no-one left to enforce your silly rules...........

"Kids on the streets with machettes? Nah, mate - we're too busy watching motorists for the tell-tale signs of a moving jaw............"

As for the rozzer on the mobile while driving, you don't need special training to be an arrogant oaf - just a hat with a chequered band around it, it seems.

(Nothing like a good rant to set me up for the day, eh?)

FLJ

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2008, 08:44:58 am »

And I thought you had gone all soft, Dave.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2008, 10:42:59 pm »

phone records would show that the said truck driver was not on the phone at the time, that case could get quashed very very quickly.  whats the difference of passing your phone to a passenger so he or she can make the call on said phone, and placing the infernal things on the dshboard because you happen to be wearing a seatbelt and it's pushing it in your thigh? 

the other silly case springs to mind, the tradesman travelling IN HIS OWN VAN, in his OWN TIME, was fined for SMOKING IN THE WORKPLACE.

Aalso if I am with a truck driver on home delivery, (which sometimes happens at my where I work) I as a NON SMOKER can be fined for NOT REPORTING THE SMOKER for SMOKING IN THE CAB OF THE TRUCK.  what next, a smoker fined for lighting up in a non smoker's car? (even with the permission of the driver) hell an 8 hour trip without a cigarrette can be hell for some smokers. 

another example of uk lunicy, banning children's parents from bringing things like big mac's and kfc's to school for their parents because the school meals is lettice sandwiches or tomato and cucumber because it is "good for them".  social workers being called in because kids are over weight (because parents feel its unsafe to let their kids out and so causing so said kids to be come play-station couch potatos)

where is this country going? the PC brigade has gone WAY WAY too far again, far facist right and loony left seem to have merged to form the labour party!

they have had their go at mobile phones and children, driving habits fast food, now smokers, whats next? 
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2008, 10:46:01 pm »

Its already started.
DRINKING.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2008, 10:59:32 pm »

yet the gov't allowed 24 hour pub openning to reduce binge drinking they say.

something tells me that the loonie's in red (sorry Chris Rea) are trying to find things to poke at whilst leaving the important issued like defence, education, the "credit crunch" on the back burner because they dont want to do anything about it because it INVOLVES SPENDING MONEY.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2008, 11:19:48 pm »

I am still amazed that "smoking shelters" can only have 3 sides, why?
Who cares if there are 4?

But of course the latest figures show over 20% down in pubs turnover and lots of pubs closing, mostly down to the smoking ban.
So now people drink at home and have a fag when they want so the cheap booze is under attack.
My local pub sells more food but beer sales down by almost 20%.
This of course means less revenue from beer sales and tax from staff as pubs close so where will the additional revenue come from?
You choose!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2008, 11:31:39 pm »

Arrh but Bob, the goverment has said that the smoking ban has not affected pub sales, and they are the goverment so it must be true !!!!!!!!!!
sorry my sides hurt and I can't stop laughing !!!!!!!
Steamed up all the time

catengineman

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2008, 12:03:18 am »

Hey and being part of the great EU   
WE can bring in as much cheap fags and booze as we like and then drink and smoke in OUR OWN HOMES to our hearts content!!!!!
                                                          Just try it
So there's even more money this grabberment cant get their hands on    (or can they)

Tax the tax on tax   wheeee I just found the answer  (best not tell Gord and Co)

R,

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2008, 10:58:29 am »

I am still amazed that "smoking shelters" can only have 3 sides, why?
Who cares if there are 4?       

IIRC there are very closely defined rules regarding the classification of whether a shelter is "open" (smoking allowed) or "closed" (smoking banned). It appears to be calculated on a ratio of the surface area of the "wall" (or opening) to the total surface area of the shelter.

There was a report of a dispute on this subject in the press recently, calculations down to umpteen decimal places decided that a particular structure was in fact a closed structure thus no smoking allowed.
Don't the elfin safety wallahs enjoy all this?
The Rules Rule OK

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2008, 02:25:07 pm »

There is a pub in Pembroke Dock where there is a walled back yard.
The owners have fitted a large umbrella which is just 6 inches from the wall.
Guess which part of the pub is crowded, yes the smoking area.
The rest of the pub is nice and smoke free, (which I do agree with) but almost empty.
It just illustrates why some pubs have been hit hard.
Another silly story was in Scotland. On shore leave we went into Largs.
2 smokers, 2 nonsmokers. We went our for a fag and got talking to others outside the pub. By the end of the evening the 2 nonsmokers were comming out with us as there was such a good atmosphere OUTSIDE.
Yes I know the dangers of smoking.
BUT
More deaths and injuries caused by road transport so I assume this should be banned too.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2008, 03:03:10 pm »

Yes I know the dangers of smoking.
BUT
More deaths and injuries caused by road transport so I assume this should be banned too.

Bob

Drove trucks for 30 odd years but it's the smoking that's killing me.

Statistics don't always work as you want  Bob. :(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2008, 03:18:46 pm »

DickyD,
I wouldn't have a problem if tobacco was banned, what I have a problem with is the way it is being done.
Either it is so bad it SHOULD be banned or it isn't and can be sold on the high street.
I just object to harnessing the anti brigade to do the job.
First it was Fox Hunting then Smoking, soon to be Alcohol and Weight.

So eventually we wont smoke, drink or eat (unless its been ok'd by the Health Police), seemas a fun world!!

Cant even go on a Bouncy Castle now!!

To me that is the world that is being produced by the preaching classes.

Actually what you are saying is that you smoked, but everyone else shouldn't.

I have just been to a funeral of a 46 yr old lad who didn't smoke, hardly drank was quite fit but still in the cemetery.
In the last year I have attended too many funerals of younger men than me who looked after themselves.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2008, 04:05:12 pm »

DickyD,

Actually what you are saying is that you smoked, but everyone else shouldn't.

Yes Bob I am.

I like you dont believe in the nanny state or the way it goes about things, but I do believe people should make up there own minds if they want to kill themselves.

However I feel I should try and talk them out of it, even you Bob ;)

Smoke if you want to but just be prepared go through what several members of this forum are going through at this present time, as no one is immune.

And please dont use the excuse that people also die from other things, so might as well carry on smoking, it doesn't wash.

barryfoote

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2008, 04:06:13 pm »

My wonderful mother......60 a day......dead at 55!!!!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2008, 04:10:09 pm »

Either it is so bad it SHOULD be banned or it isn't and can be sold on the high street.

It's never as simple as that. Some people are more susceptible than others so how can you draw the line? Also, almost everything will kill you if you have too much of it. Most things are tolerably safe in moderation. The guy who "invented" jogging dropped dead of heart failure. Sorry about your Mum Footski. Mine was a also a chain smoker who ate hardly anything and kept going until 74, no cancer -just heart failure. My Dad gave up smoking in his late 30's and was dead of lung cancer at 65. Fickle Finger of fate

As somebody once remarked to me, if they invented petrol now it would be immediately banned as being too dangerous.

The problem with these people is that they want to dictate how you live your life rather than spell out the risks objectively and leave you to make your own decision. Rather too many people are a bit like that for my liking. Nanny state rules.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2008, 04:16:32 pm »

My wonderful mother......60 a day......dead at 55!!!!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
You have my sympathy Barry, my mum went at 50.  :(

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2008, 05:25:03 pm »

"The problem with these people is that they want to dictate how you live your life rather than spell out the risks objectively and leave you to make your own decision. Rather too many people are a bit like that for my liking. Nanny state rules."

Dead on Colin, 10,000% correct. We should have the choice.

Nige
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

kiwi

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2008, 07:59:03 pm »

Have to agree with you guys, javascript:void(0);one should be given the facts, and allowed to make their own choices. Thats what lifes all about, have respect for others, but live your life how you want, not how some under-achiever, being paid by your taxes, telling you how to live your life. But, I hear the cry go up, smokers cost the public health system millions each year, which would be better spent elsewhere. No, we all pay our taxes to fund the public health and other services, and if 'wee noddy' up in the PUBLIC services cannot manage this continuing income to provide the services in the future, when you may need it, then surely, that is incompetence on a quite large scale. (trying to show a modicum of restraint here)
Politicians, definitely can not organize anything beyond the the current term of office, and the public service, just muddle along trying to run the country along private business lines (ie show a profit, and make the user pay) and loose sight of the fact that the user has already paid, via his taxes, so I ask why do we have to then turn around and pay again. Have you ever noticed, its only the public utilities (govt run services) that are making large profits, which are then 'privatized'. None if the rest. Talk about jobs for the greedy boys. Its all about diverting the funds from the public purse into individuals pockets, and 'joe public' lets them, and swallows all the b**l s**t. The tax system could be vastly simplified, made so much fairer for all, but then we would't require all them's in the tax office running around trying to collect, would we. Its all about greed, money and power (control). It would be a simpler, and happier world if people cared and had some respect for others, and lived peacefully together.
As has been said before on this forum, different people have different tolerance levels to most things. My grand father, a chain smoker all his life, finally departed, aged 90. Whilst others with the same habit don't make it to a third that.
All a part of life's lottery.
I step down the soap-box is now vacant againjavascript:void(0);
kiwijavascript:void(0);

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2008, 08:07:11 pm »

All a part of life's lottery.

The Americans have a phrase for it: "S**t happens"

Explains a lot.

kiwi

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2008, 09:16:55 am »

The Americans have a phrase for it: "S**t happens"

Explains a lot.

Exactly

kiwi

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2008, 06:32:57 pm »

DickyD,
As an apprentice I was exposed to brown asbestos from brakes and clutches on a DAILY basis.

When I joined Portsmouth Dockyard I was exposed to free Blue, White and Brown Asbestos (although the dangers were known in the 1930's!!)
Used Engine Oil ( a virulent carcinogenic),
Unleaded fuel fumes
Various heavy metals.

When I was on the Tugs we regularly moved a waste NuclearWaste Barge which was "cleaned up" for disposal but somehow managed to still be over 30 times the legal limit for daily exposure.

My present ship still has Brown Asbestos, but its OK now, there are warning signs!!

Plus lots of other "unknown" substances.

Exhaust leaks within the engine room, etc

Most of my peers do not enjoy long happy retirements, and neither do I expect to.

So I subscribe to the S**T HAPPENS theory.

So I shall eat, drink, smoke and me merry.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

GaryM

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2008, 05:53:14 pm »

I agree smoking can be bad for you, but can the doctors state un categorically in the individual that smoking is the ONLY cause of the cancer? 
Can vehicle, factory or other contribute, or be the sole factor for the cancer?  If it's a mixture of pollutants what are the %'s?
You never hear of some one dying due to car exhausts?  (suicide's apart)

regards
Gary :)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2008, 10:43:02 pm »

...My present ship still has Brown Asbestos, but its OK now, there are warning signs!!...

nothing wrong with asbestos as long as its left alone, even if unsigned.  its the dust that is the problem.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2008, 11:16:37 pm »

I spent a large chunk of my career in a County Council Property department. Some types of asbestos are not harmful if sealed and not disturbed but you have to know where they are and identify them so that they remain undisturbed by, for instance, building alteration works. A lot of money continues to be spent on this. It's a big potential problem that will need to be managed almost indefinitely.

Colin

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2008, 11:29:24 pm »

Just had news today that an ex-colleague from Her Majesty's Customer Neckties has popped his clogs. Smoked 60 a day; drank about two bottles of assorted spirits in the same time (mainly vodka and whisky) and was the most objectionable little nonentity I ever met. Age 53.

As Brendan Behan once said (quote) "every cripple has his own way of walking".

FLJ

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.