Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

what sort of tug plus advice on paints.

(1/3) > >>

ronkh:
In my short time on this site and up until now, I have only put photos of other types of boats that I have built on here, but now i want to start on tugs. (Strange I know!!) I suppose you could say that that is the idea of this site but it does allow for other boats as well!.
Anyway, this is the first of two subjects that I want to pick any of your brains about.
I want to build a tug about 2/3 feet long, around £200/£300 (if possible at this price but if not, I may go higher) and not one considered for a beginner but also not a complicated tug. I am not too worried about most of the fittings as I could make them at work or home, or buy when needed. I want one that is not too "stubby" but also not a long thin one (if you can get long, thin ones!) I know that there are plenty of places that sell them but I would appreciate advice from any of you people who have built them and would have photos/notes that I can compare and to get ideas. I do not mind the idea of getting a hull and making some/most of the other parts (as said earlier), as I am sure that if I get stuck along the way, I can always come back here, explain the problem, and get the help I need.  I want to make as many of the parts as possible and for them to be working. Pulleys, winches, cranes, etc. It could be a kit that I could then modify/make parts as when and if necessary.

The other subject is paints - at the moment I am using Tamiya, Humbrol and Admiralty paints plus the usual spray cans. I do not have a spray gun, etc yet as that can wait (money permitting) and my problem is this - when I use either of the above (but not the sprays), I find that they start drying off before I can complete what it is that I am painting, (they are okay for small areas) and that the brushes then tend to stick causing blemishes. When this happens, I then have to rub down and start again. I cannot use spray cans all the time because of cost and practicality.
Are there any other paints I can use ot have any of you tips I can use?

All help appreciated.

Ron.

GaryM:
Hi Ron
Would using a larger brush (so you can get more paint on) do the trick?
Stavros is probably the man to talk to, along with loads of other guys.

I bought the Marie Felling 43½" x 11¼ from Caldercraft - all fittings except RC included £350 ish(I think), the site and others are in the main menu.

regards
Gary :)

ronkh:
Will give them a go. Plus will try a bigger brush! Its just that I do not always want the sort of finish that can be got from a spray can.

ronkh:
Hi Gary,

Just went on to Jotika and saw one that I really fancy. Only thing is the cost which at £495.95 for the Resolve means that I will have to forego a few things. Maybe the wife will sacrifice a couple of things for me!! Nights out with her mates for one! Better not, she lets me have my boats. :angel: I think I will have to save pretty hard.

Ron.

GaryM:
Hi Ron - defiantly don't upset the missus!!

Try a few other sites on the list as prices vary and there might be something that catches your fancy.

regards
   Gary :)

PS try posting on the "Model Boats" tread - it's read by more people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version