Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what sort of tug plus advice on paints.  (Read 3210 times)

ronkh

what sort of tug plus advice on paints.
« on: July 25, 2008, 11:28:49 am »

In my short time on this site and up until now, I have only put photos of other types of boats that I have built on here, but now i want to start on tugs. (Strange I know!!) I suppose you could say that that is the idea of this site but it does allow for other boats as well!.
Anyway, this is the first of two subjects that I want to pick any of your brains about.
I want to build a tug about 2/3 feet long, around £200/£300 (if possible at this price but if not, I may go higher) and not one considered for a beginner but also not a complicated tug. I am not too worried about most of the fittings as I could make them at work or home, or buy when needed. I want one that is not too "stubby" but also not a long thin one (if you can get long, thin ones!) I know that there are plenty of places that sell them but I would appreciate advice from any of you people who have built them and would have photos/notes that I can compare and to get ideas. I do not mind the idea of getting a hull and making some/most of the other parts (as said earlier), as I am sure that if I get stuck along the way, I can always come back here, explain the problem, and get the help I need.  I want to make as many of the parts as possible and for them to be working. Pulleys, winches, cranes, etc. It could be a kit that I could then modify/make parts as when and if necessary.

The other subject is paints - at the moment I am using Tamiya, Humbrol and Admiralty paints plus the usual spray cans. I do not have a spray gun, etc yet as that can wait (money permitting) and my problem is this - when I use either of the above (but not the sprays), I find that they start drying off before I can complete what it is that I am painting, (they are okay for small areas) and that the brushes then tend to stick causing blemishes. When this happens, I then have to rub down and start again. I cannot use spray cans all the time because of cost and practicality.
Are there any other paints I can use ot have any of you tips I can use?

All help appreciated.

Ron.

GaryM

Re: what sort of tug plus advice on paints.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 06:53:45 pm »

Hi Ron
Would using a larger brush (so you can get more paint on) do the trick?
Stavros is probably the man to talk to, along with loads of other guys.

I bought the Marie Felling 43½" x 11¼ from Caldercraft - all fittings except RC included £350 ish(I think), the site and others are in the main menu.

regards
Gary :)

ronkh

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 07:22:34 pm »

Will give them a go. Plus will try a bigger brush! Its just that I do not always want the sort of finish that can be got from a spray can.

ronkh

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:34:59 pm »

Hi Gary,

Just went on to Jotika and saw one that I really fancy. Only thing is the cost which at £495.95 for the Resolve means that I will have to forego a few things. Maybe the wife will sacrifice a couple of things for me!! Nights out with her mates for one! Better not, she lets me have my boats. :angel: I think I will have to save pretty hard.

Ron.

GaryM

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:32:10 pm »

Hi Ron - defiantly don't upset the missus!!

Try a few other sites on the list as prices vary and there might be something that catches your fancy.

regards
   Gary :)

PS try posting on the "Model Boats" tread - it's read by more people.

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 11:06:03 pm »

Hi Ron, take a look at what Mobile Marine Models offer, they do some good tug kits, reasonably priced and they also do a "budget build" system so you don't have to buy everything at once http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/acatalog/Model_Boat_Tug.html
Model Slipway also do some nice tug kits in your price range http://www.modelslipway.com/

I am currently building the steam tug Canning from MMM the build thread I am doing is here http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=453.0

Hope this helps a bit.......

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 11:21:21 pm »

Have a word with Steve at Scale Hobbies, Eldergarth at £285 ,see Eldergarth thread build on this forum

satvros

Langsford

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 11:45:40 pm »

Have a look at Mountfleet Models. I have just completed the Bangarth and I am very pleased with the result.
Cheers, John

geoff p

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 05:41:56 am »

Hi Ron,
Your original post doesn't make it clear if you want a ready-made hull or if you could undertake scratch-building?
Here you can see my Frederic Mistral is quite fine-lined: she's about 880mm LOA x 180mm beam and weighs about 5Kg.

The cost of construction was probably 20 to 30 quid (plus MUCH swearing at my stupid mistakes) plus running gear - motor + gears about a fiver, and 2-channel radio.

The build-time to first sailing was about 3 months.

You can see from the second photo, she's easy enough to transport.

If you want, I'll gladly put up the drawings I have made, free and for gratis.

Geoff

ronkh

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 12:27:30 pm »

Gary,

That is the sort of boat that I want to make. If you are still open about the plans then yes, I would very much like to have them. As far as the hull is concerned, I would prefer to make from scratch but if it means getting a ready made one then no problems. I have a couple of boats that are scratch built so they do not faze me too much - I prefer the challenge! I do not think that I will go for your type of transport though as I am bad enough with four wheels :police:

Many thanks,

Ron.

ronkh

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 12:30:59 pm »

To all the others that have replied to my post, many thanks for them and I will have a look trhough all of them shortly O0

Ron.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.