Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sergal HMS President.  (Read 5686 times)

Eric65

Sergal HMS President.
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:57:51 pm »

Hello all, I'm new here, so I thought I'd show y'all one of my builds, HMS president.

Hull almost finished and just starting on the masts just now. Not done one of these before so if any body has some helpfull advice it would be gratefully received! :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Sergal HMS President.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 05:09:34 pm »

:o  Nice finish on that hull !
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 07:32:01 am »

Lovely work on  the hull Eric.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

ronkh

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:59:29 pm »

Hi Martin,

My first model was also the President! Unfortunately, I have still not got around to finishing of the rigging! What put me of was the idea of tying about 800 knots but I will do it some day very soon!! Watch out for cyano though if you use any or if any left on fingers when getting between running/standing rigging :o Nice hull and hope to see at least yours finished. Should give me incentive to pick mine up.

Ron.

admiral Onassis

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:14:55 am »

Dude. I am also a radio controlled sailboat enthusiast. i have just realised, that I am never going to achieve the level of brilliance you bring to our hobby, however your attention to the minute serves to magnify the interest and desire held by the slaves to our obsession. i have have advised my grandchildren of your present location, and rest assured your progeny will be relieved of your handiwork, by hook or by crook, by the fruits, of the fruits of my loin..

Eric65

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 03:55:08 pm »

Thanks for the comments guys!

Your President looks amazing ronkh, gives me a benchmark to acheive.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:52:29 pm »

NICE LOOKING MODEL.. YOU.VE DONE A FINE JOB ON IT.     DO YOU KNOW THE HISTORY OF THIS SHIP?  WASN'T IT ONE OF THE SISTER SHIPS TO THE USS CONSTITION THAT THE ROYAL NAVY CAPTURED AND AND AFTER TAKING THE LINES OFF IT MOORED HER ON DISPLAY IN THE R. THAMES?
FREEBOOTER
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

plugger

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 06:29:15 am »

A few hints:

To taper the masts, I have used the a battery drill as a lathe and sandpaper. Let the sandpaper to the work - don't force it, otherwise the dowel will break....
Spend time getting the deadeyes correct. They should be parallel to each other.
Try to use as small a knot as possible. also, try to position the knots so that the run of the threads is not distorted.
Dilute PVA glue is better than superglue to seal the knots, unless you need a fast set time.
Seal the threads so they do not become hairy. I have used both wax and PVA glue. Both work well - however the PVA tends to become brittle over time.
Try to keep the tension of the threads consistent.

plugger
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.