Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engineering skills of the past  (Read 6276 times)

Captain Povey

Re: Engineering skills of the past
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 08:07:44 pm »

Hello All. I used to visit a very skilled toolmaker called Sid in Brighton many years ago. He was 'retired' but still managed knock out some amazing plastic injection mould tools from the shed in his back garden. I remember him telling me once that he had made a punch and die set to stamp out the small second hand that was fitted to many old watches in those days. This was before spark erosion wire erosion etc. He said the Punch was quite easy but the die was a problem as there were no files small enough. His solution was to make his own file. Amazing. Graham.

catengineman

Re: Engineering skills of the past
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 09:06:13 pm »

So true what has been said.  :'(

I am time served and still on the learning curve and nearly 50 years on the teeth. I have more learning scars than I care to mention. ::)
 Its not all doom though I am a chief engineer that has stepped down to second to fill a place and here is where I jump up and down with happiness.
The company have taken on a third whom I must praise to the highest I want ten more of him. Eager to learn allways listens, is never late for watch handovers etc etc I cant say the same for the second who was to be my back to back! had to be told what to do every moment then turns up in Gib only to jump ship. Not discovered until his watch time came.

Oh well there are still some out there that want to learn, including me.

R,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.