Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pollution  (Read 2861 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Pollution
« on: July 27, 2008, 07:02:21 pm »

Why. when we get a nice sunny summers day, do people seem to think they have a God given right to light a bonfire consisting of charcoal, charcoal dust and paraffin and then throw meat, burgers, and sausages onto the conflagration and incinerate them.
I had a nice afternoon at the lake and arrived home to a house that smelt like an incinerated body and paraffin.
I have had to be on oxygen since getting home as our area is under a pall of smoke.
Why cant people have more consideration  >>:-(

Going for a lie down now.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
Re: Pollution
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:22:23 pm »

Why. when we get a nice sunny summers day, do people seem to think they have a God given right to light a bonfire consisting of charcoal, charcoal dust and paraffin and then throw meat, burgers, and sausages onto the conflagration and incinerate them.

'Cos they have broken the cooker...  {-)

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 09:02:07 pm »

aaahhh, the joys of a british summer. two hot days togerther and everyone thinks they're on Bondi beach.
 now where's the Thoohey's and 4 X??? :D {-) ;D

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 09:16:08 pm »

aaahhh, the joys of a british summer. two hot days togerther and everyone thinks they're on Bondi beach.
 now where's the Thoohey's and 4 X??? :D {-) ;D

Yes I know, but its not Bondi beach its a housing estate and its still going on now.!! >>:-( >>:-(

The smoke can probably be seen from the orbiting space station!! >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 09:33:15 pm »

I agree Richard, we have neighbours who sometimes have a barbeque. Judging from the pervading smell they are probably making an offering to Zeus. Why they can't just cook the stuff properly in the kitchen and eat it in the garden I just don't know. Still, I expect they will all go down with a horrible type of food poisoning.  ::)

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 09:43:38 pm »

"arrived home to a house that smelt like an incinerated body and paraffin"

That's Wor Lass every time she try's her hand at some cooking :D
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:00:34 am »

Following the other threads on smoking, pollution, fines and the law, I wonder how long it will be before some little soul in Westminster finishes sharpening his pencil and legislates against it. It is quite possible you know, bbq's are very popular at this time of year and I would imagine a fair amount of dosh could be raised fining folks for having fun. ::)
Seriously though, I do sympathise with you as I have been on the receiving end of a pyromaniac neighbour and it was no fun as it almost came to blows. My house stunk of burning grass (no.. not that grass)  and there appeared to be little I could do about it other than re-arrange the fellows looks  >>:-( but the women got between us.
I can't for the life of me think there is any law which prohibits this form of pollution and a private summons for damages would be hard to bring. It rather looks like you may have to put up with it and pray for rain.
Perhaps on of our band has some experience in law and could comment on this one.

bigfella

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 12:56:10 am »

Hi Richard

That is just about every weekend here in Australia. The Bar-B-Q is an Australian way of life, almost a religious experience. Every house has one I have a six burner gas BBQ. It is a ritual to sling a bit of dead animal on the Barby and turn it into a piece of crispy black charcoal and then try and reconstitute it with lashings of Tomato sauce :D. The thing is, and don't take this the wrong way, the sky seams so much higher hear than the UK and the smoke does not hang around. I cant explain it but I think it has something to do with the moisture in the air. As we are the driest Continent on Earth, apart from Antarctica, the smoke does not have the blanket of moist air to keep it locked in. However I do sympathise with you as I used to have a similar problem when I used to play in the band with the residual cigarette smell on my cloths. I had to change in the garage and have a shower every time I played. That smell used to make me puke.

Regards David O0

andyn

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 12:28:49 pm »

We had a BBQ at the radio club on tuesday and the only use for the the cremated chicken was throwing it at the bl**dy cat

The food tasted nice though, it was part of a 24h radio competition (which I didn't attend), we thought we'd have a BBQ too.

The reason people (mostly men) have BBQ's is to satisfy the caveman in us. Although it should always be away from houses as the smoke is horrible. In one night I had two lungfuls of smoke and streaming eyes from the heat. Even the tea machine took exception to me and tryed to burn the skin off my fingers.

Bl**dy barbeques!

GaryM

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 01:24:18 pm »

Once a BBQ is alight there should be very little smoke. 
Excess smoke comes from too much lighter fluid, wood, paper or fats dripping onto the coals. 
I always use a cast iron pan to cook meat in, (this prevents 1.  a naked flame "cremating" your meal and 2.  Salmonella ) fish I wrap in foil and veg mostly on the rack, the wine is kept in a glass - but not for long!
There should be no sign of a naked flame, the coals should glow orange with a covering of grey ash on the top surface.

regards
Gary :)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 06:48:02 am »

I can't for the life of me think there is any law which prohibits this form of pollution

The Government could always tax it....

"The Barbie Tax"  O0

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 07:53:59 am »

No Toes....' Barbie tax' are the ones you hammer into wood with a little hook on the end to stop them pulling out! ;D

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 08:04:08 am »

No Toes....' Barbie tax' are the ones you hammer into wood with a little hook on the end to stop them pulling out! ;D

And I thought they were for encouraging little girls to break the evil Barbie habit. {-)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.