Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What's a Springer?  (Read 14658 times)

kno3

What's a Springer?
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:29:08 pm »

Hello all!

I've read  several of the Springer topics and found some of your builds really nice. But I don't really understand where the whole idea with the standard hull comes from. Are they some sort of boat class? What are they used for?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What's a Springer?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:42:04 pm »

The class orignated in the pacific North west of USA as a simple to build fun model based roughly on pusher towboats used on the great American rivers. There are basic hull sizes and motor restrictions. I`m sure Martin will post some of the background but if you go to www.RCGroups.com  in the Model Boats Section look for the first dozen posts in "Springer Class Boats" and all will be explained. Oh BTW you`ve got to build one now ....its the law {-)
..well can you land on this?

chingdevil

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:28:40 am »

Arrow

How does he get away with only building one ??? ??? ??? ???

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:08:29 pm »

Springers are real model boats! They are simple, cheap and fun!

These are actually boats you can take to the lake, river, sea, canal, swimming pool and actually have fun with!
We play football, tag, races, push and tugging competitions with them and the odd boxing match!
They are inherently strong as they push and barge anything around them.
They are relatively small,  quite stable and not prone to bit being knocked off them unlike most of our other "serious"
models, these are our our escape, 'let our hair down' models!

Not many models you would laugh when someone bashes into you but you do when it's a SPRINGER!  O0

Plans here and here!  O0

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10759.msg100987#msg100987

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3471.msg49453;topicseen#msg49453

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 01:04:03 pm »

Springers are what is making this forum BORING.  >>:-( >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 02:23:03 pm »

Richard,

Do I hear a hint of jealousy.............

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 02:42:38 pm »

Not at all mate, I can see that they can be a lot of fun, but I did not join the forum to be greeted everytime I log on by a majority of postings about a not to scale, not even a good look alike obscure American tug thingy that probably the Americans could not identify. Also this has been going on for over a year.
Could this be the reason that the number of members viewing at any one time seems to be dropping and a lot of members dont appear to come on here anymore ? :-\ >>:-(

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 03:40:40 pm »

Not at all mate, I can see that they can be a lot of fun, but I did not join the forum to be greeted everytime I log on by a majority of postings about a not to scale, not even a good look alike obscure American tug thingy that probably the Americans could not identify. Also this has been going on for over a year.
Could this be the reason that the number of members viewing at any one time seems to be dropping and a lot of members dont appear to come on here anymore ? :-\ >>:-(

Each to thier own I guess Dicky, there are some people who feel similarly about the "Name that Ship" threads  ::) but we all have to accept each others differences and preferences.

If they don't interest you then simply ignore those postings and continue to support the areas of the forum that you find more worthwhile.

It is obviously a very popular area of the hobby so I suspect that rather than put some people off it has actually attracted more members who may well go on to try other areas of model boating based on what they see here.

That has to be a good thing. O0
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 03:50:26 pm »

Just a grumpy old gits opinion Bunkerbarge, dont want to upset anyone.
We need more interesting builds such as yours, bluebirds and BY's, where we can actually look and learn. O0

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 05:20:05 pm »

As the native American said to the Lone Ranger when surrounded by bad injuns in reply to "Looks like we`ve had it this time Tonto"   "What do you mean WE Kimosabe?"    Name that ship is informative but "Name that plane" ?????   Not even seaplane or naval aircraft in a boat forum. Shoorlie shum mishtaik.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 05:41:29 pm »

Chin up Dicky my mate, do not be so depressed and down-hearted!   No doubt the Springer 'thing' will be like a new fangled fad - here today - gone tomorrow!   Only to be put in the archives along with certain competition prizes that never arrived yet. 

What we have to remember - is - that Name that Ship - not only being informative, but, has been around now for a good while now eh - Dicky we have to be like the British Army when they were fighting the Zulu's i.e. outnumbered but we have the power of endurance and vitality to go on....now get on with your build Dicky - no more complaining......winter will soon be upon us  :D :o

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 06:13:52 pm »

When they get me medication sorted out so I can get to me shed I will get on with it John.
Now what can I have a go about next, planes, cats hmmm?? :-\

kno3

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 06:25:58 pm »

Guys, thanks for the info regarding Springers. I've downloaded the plans to have a look.
Don't know if I'm going to build one, but some I've seen around here were rather cute.
I'm stilll put off by the very boxy and seeminglz inefficient shape of the hull...

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 06:26:25 pm »

So there you have it Kno3. Hope this has answered your question and encouraged you to see if there are any Springers local to you in Berlin and Bucharest.  As you see we Brits have a sense of humour {-) {-) {-) O0  Oops!  EDIT: we were typing at the same time. The box-like hull is one of the Springers charms , easy build and surprisingly stable. Have a look at some of the videos on www.youtube.com/MacSpringer.  To see some rough water action, try www.putfile.com/Arrow5  Some football trials by Bluezugspitze on Youtube too.

kno3

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 06:29:08 pm »

Haven't seen any around here yet...

By the way, would a steam engine be allowed in a Springer? I just don't like electric motors...
What about a Kitchen rudder for reverse?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 06:33:04 pm »

A Steam Springer? There has been talk but not seen one yet!  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 07:22:10 pm »

OK ok, I've been busy getting  my V4 flash steam plant ready for Mayhem Llanberis so poor old "Bruce Springsteam" has taken a bit of a back burner (oops pun intended). Going back down the workshop now, will work hard, toil late into the wee hours and have it ready to steam up Stavros's glasses.
Steamed up all the time

kno3

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 10:31:21 pm »

Steamboatphil, any pictures of your boat under construction?

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 11:30:48 pm »

Kno3
If you go to the "Design Office" section on the forum, then "Steam" scroll down and you should find my posting on the steam springer. I will post a few more pics here showing the progress.
Phil
Steamed up all the time

mogogear

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 04:45:25 am »

A last chime in ....I am a new member here and understand that this forum was / is based on scale model making and it's appreciation. Currently my skill set is very , very basic. I have been testing the waters with restoration to some very simple and basic design hulls. I am inching my way towards a more skilled goal. I just don't know where that is yet. I see things like the Dickie kit bashing and Springer- making as a way to develop some rapport with r/c , hulls at their simplest, gluing and clamping fundamentals etc.

It is very humbling to admire many of the boats the members here produce with such care.....There are many and I have only been browsing a few weeks.

One aside- as a "Yank" with a little  taste-- modeling I am sure is a world wide appreciated hobby and poorly designed crafts can arise from any side of the pond- Pacific to the Atlantic..... Springers and the like are what draw new and younger people to see what this craft is all about...Call it pre-school or juvenile  or what have you--- It is the same on the live steam forum I am a member of. The membership is made up of 15 year old's and 50 year old alike.. It is a odd mix at times -but the lads keep it amusing and fun to boot when we older ones get a little serious..

I am sure there is room for both here- mentors and students alike- I look forward to learning from all ..

Cheers O0

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 06:55:49 am »

...to be greeted everytime I log on by a majority of postings about a not to scale, not even a good look alike obscure American tug thingy...

Pardon?...

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 10:20:03 am »

Alright, I beg your pardon, there had to be one and very nice to. But it still doesn't change my opinion in general.  >>:-(

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 01:10:05 pm »

My mother always said "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"  :-X :-X :-X  You could learn something there Richard!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

So Hannahs Springer is a waste of time and effort is it!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 01:16:44 pm »

SPRINGER TUGS - The antidote to over serious marine modelling!  ;)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 02:30:39 pm »

Hi there,

if I can put me serious non-aggravating heed on  ::) >>:-( ::) O0  ......  thinking about the Springers they are one good way of introducing someone to the model boating world......and they are basically very simple to build; require no great skill; they are all of the similar design (the hull that is) it is the top part which allows one to expand the imagination which IS GOOD - I had considered actually making one myself - but, slightly off-standard - I was wondering if we could make a 'Tunnel Hull' one....

it would have maybe a step in the hull - I know this is deviating from the basic concept of the design but, it is just my imagination running wild AGAIN  :D

On another note, what I do see as an unfair advantage, if say, we had 6 or so people at the lakeside with Springers - we know they have all been constructed basically the same - from plywood and pieces of wood etc., - and if they are damaged - it is quite easy to do repairs.   So, where does this put the fibre glass hulled Springer?

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.