Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting out perspex windows  (Read 6385 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Cutting out perspex windows
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:26:00 pm »

Sorry if the spelling isnt correct but has anyone any tips for cutting out the Model Slipway perspex windows!? Im meaning the individual windows from the clear plastic sheet, not the window surrounds etc.

The perspex is quite thick and although each window has a moulded cut line, using even a sharp stanley knife doesnt make the job any easier! I've tried lightly scoring over the moulded in line but the knife is still apt to slip off and catch nearby windows.

Does anyone have a good methid for cutting these out (there are quite a few to do on the Drumbeat of Devon)?

TIA

UltraMagnus

Re: Cutting out perspex windows
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 10:56:04 am »

have you tried a jewlers razor saw?

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 02:59:44 pm »

Hows about the old fashioned fret-saw?

Make up a fret table first, though.

Tony

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 05:55:23 pm »

Put masking tape over the perspex, marl your line and cut with a fine tooth saw.
You can then clean up any edges with a fine file.
When ready to fit remove the tape.
Works for me.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Model_Slipway

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cutting out perspex windows - Drumbeat
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 11:22:41 pm »

Die-cut plastic (styrene) windows:

ease the part out by placing your thumbnails either side of the score and, with your fingertips on the underside, gently raise the cut line up towards you. This will cause the plastic to fracture along the score line, then simply bend the sheet away from you and the part will snap out of the sheet.

Jackie

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 02:01:11 am »

Along with what Jackie said, I found that scoring the margins (continuing the edge of each window out to the edge of the sheet) and 'bending' the whole thing helps.  You waste a lot of potentially usable clear 'glass', but it does help.  You do want to be careful doing that though!
 - 'Doc

flybobby

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 05:03:36 pm »

(there are quite a few to do on the Drumbeat of Devon)?

TIA
How is the drumbeat going?  I really do like the look of this vessel and have read a lot about it.  I am currently building a freelance SAR vessel and have used the Hiab and 18ft RIB from the drumbeat (the RIB is still under construction and is a tad difficult to get right! Luckily Jackie sent out spare vac formings with the kit, so all is coming together!)

Good luck with your build, it would be nice to see some pics of your progress ;)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cutting out perspex windows - Drumbeat
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 07:59:46 pm »

Die-cut plastic (styrene) windows:

ease the part out by placing your thumbnails either side of the score and, with your fingertips on the underside, gently raise the cut line up towards you. This will cause the plastic to fracture along the score line, then simply bend the sheet away from you and the part will snap out of the sheet.

Jackie

Hi Jackie. Thanks for this info. Would you need to go over the scored the outline yourselves have put on the Drumbeat perspex or, can you remove the windows without it?

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 12:46:24 am »

DOH! fine line it with a scalpel, then "crack" it out of the sheet! Sorry with the doh, but Jackie did explain!
 Always here to help, but, c'mon lads, remember woodwork lessons in school etc?
 This is just common "dog" its so easy!
 If you are going to buy a kit or a semi kit, GET TOOLED UP!
 Paul...

The perspex for the Drumbeat windows is already scored by Slipway. And, the perspex is quite thick (a lot thicker than plasti card)and not so easy to cut, hence the question. Im not that stoopid, ya know  ;)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 12:59:53 am »

(there are quite a few to do on the Drumbeat of Devon)?

TIA
How is the drumbeat going?  I really do like the look of this vessel and have read a lot about it.  I am currently building a freelance SAR vessel and have used the Hiab and 18ft RIB from the drumbeat (the RIB is still under construction and is a tad difficult to get right! Luckily Jackie sent out spare vac formings with the kit, so all is coming together!)

Good luck with your build, it would be nice to see some pics of your progress ;)
Im a sloooow builder unfortunately! :D Its going quite well and there's not much more to do really. Im just finishing off the HIAB seacrane and have to add the hydraulic pipes then glue to the deck. After that its paint the RIB which is built (I had a few problems with that too but a bit of advice from Jackie and a slower approach with the second one in the kitworked out OK), make the BOTI dinghy, cut out and fix the windows and pop on the roof and Flying bridge (all built).

Should have taken pics as I went along really!

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 01:02:21 am »

;) Get a bigger blade and some muscle, LOL!
And 3 shredded wheat methinks!  ;D

Excellent builds on your site btw. What sort of 'sticky end' did Cornwall meet?

Roger in France

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 07:37:28 am »

Sadly there are a lot more bad customers out there than bad traders. I am sure psships is right in that. Many years ago I was a Trading Standards Officer in the UK. I very frequently encountered customers who started off a complaint about a trader and told lies; conveniently forgot to tell me the true response of traders and attempted to bend the system to their advantage. When I discovered this I had no hesitation in telling the trader concerned that he had a "rotten apple" as a customer and suggesting he did no more business with them.

Roger in France.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 09:17:44 am »

Surely Not :o :o

Remember:

The customer is always right  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Don't Assume Check

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 10:47:11 am »

Don't forget Dogbert's corollary to that:

The customer is always right....and they should be punished for their arrogance  ;D

Wom.
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

kayem

• Full Mayhemer
  • .....excellent!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 11:50:03 am »

After my last post here, perhaps us guys should start a thread on BAD customers!
 I bet this one will have some LEGS?
 Paul...

Paul is absolutely right, but if you run a company that gives a reasonable standard of service, I doubt if even slightly awkward customers are any more than one or two percent of the total. The problem is that some of them are so difficult, so awkward, and so unreasonable, an encounter with a bad one can ruin your whole day. The great majority of model boat customers are really nice people, a pleasure to deal with, and a few regulars have become good friends. Satisfied customers are also of course, the best and cheapest form of advertising. I suspect that I'm in a similar positon to Paul, it's my business and I can do whatever I want. When faced with a real A-hole, I could tell him to F off if I really wanted to, I don't have to answer to anyone. I've never done it, but the knowledge that I could any time I wanted to, helps me to cope fairly easily with that difficult one or two percent, sometimes I can even smile at them.

To get back somewhere near the original topic, I know that Jackie & Laurie of Model Slipway can tell some good stories about awkward customers they've known. I'd have to be safely on the other end of a phone before I'd be brave enough to give any lip to either of them though, especially Jackie.
"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book; inside of a dog, it's very dark" Groucho Marx

Roger in France

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 07:10:28 pm »

How I used to hate the expression "The customer is aways right". It just makes many a bad customer worse! I think that expression must have been invented by some smarmy advertising executive a long time ago and few folk seem to recognise it for what it is.... a patronising untruth!

When I worked in Trading Standards/Fair Trading I always said, "Beware of the complainant who falls back upon one of two trite expressions, 1. "After all,  traders should remember that the customer is always right" and 2. "It's the principle that I am pursuing not the money"!

Roger in France.

Model_Slipway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 08:02:44 pm »

Thanks Kayem!!    It's the Swiss in me   ;D.

Justboatonic: Sent you a PM regarding your original query.

Jackie

DavidHale

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 05:06:53 pm »

Cutting perspex:

Upto 1mm thick:- a sharp (ie, new) scalpel blade, score with a firm (but NOT hard) pressure on both sides of the sheet, 5 or 6 passes each side.  Bend to snap along line over your thumbnails.

Over 1mm thick:- Sometimes works as above, but fret saw/circular saw/disc sander combinations are better.

I have scribed + snapped up to 6mm perspex, but it's not recommended!

Note:  this is for perspex or other 'hard' acrylic sheet; styrene or other sheets don't need cutting from both sides.

HTH

David

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 09:51:25 am »

I have actualy used a very fine "formica" cutter for scoring perspex.

chromedome
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.