Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS campbeltown build 1/96  (Read 43580 times)

dan

Re: HMS campbeltown build 1/96
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2010, 06:53:47 pm »

thanks mate  :-))

bobbinsjob

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2010, 10:21:28 am »

I am 99% sure the red paint used on the ship was red oxide

dan

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2010, 04:12:01 pm »

Below is a picture of my rebuild foremast

Now most of the ship has had its final coat of paint sprayed on and this is how it looks so far minus the funnel

and finally, here are the first LEDs fitted.

I can now get on with fitting all the fittings such as weapons, railings etc...

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2010, 04:20:58 pm »

That mast is an absolute pain to make.
You have made a superb job of it.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2010, 04:23:40 pm »

Looking great Dan.
Have you ever noticed how its always the most complicated bits that get damaged ? {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

pugwash

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2010, 04:28:55 pm »

Lovely work Dan. Its coming on a treat.

Geoff

dan

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2010, 04:32:06 pm »

thanks very much guys  :-))
id like to point out that on the last photo the LEDs look like they're standard size, but there not, they're actually 1mm or 2mm LEDs, i cant actually which one they are though sorry.

Perks842

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2010, 01:12:23 pm »

Very nice build Dan. If you require any particular photo's of a 22 in person I can get them for you, Chatham is about 200 feet away and Cornwall is about 700 feet  :}

AndrewB

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2010, 09:33:24 pm »

Hi Dan

A very nice build you have there, well done.

Ticonderoga

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2010, 10:47:10 pm »

She is looking good there Dan :-))

dan

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2010, 04:20:03 pm »

thank you both  :-))

bassplayer1

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2010, 10:57:09 pm »

Really nice work!!! Keep at it!

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2021, 10:31:57 pm »

Hi all. I hope no one minds but I'm going to carry on this build thread as if it hasn't been 11 years since I last done any work on it  :embarrassed:  I never had the heart to pass it to anyone else to finish it, I'm determined to get it done regardless of how long it takes. I've done very little with any models for the last decade so the work isn't the best but nevertheless I'm back to enjoying building again.

The last week or so I've spent cleaning it, and finding out what has inevitably been damaged/lost or broken after all this time and sourcing parts. (Many thanks to those who have helped me with parts, it's been greatly appreciated!)

So my main mast is nearing completion, and final paint job.
As is the main superstructure although there is still a few more fittings to be made and fitted to this.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2021, 10:52:25 pm »

Hi Dan,

Its a hobby, and while we all want and feel the need to get things made, painted, woven or even fired, real life and 'stuff' can get in the way, or may be we get a touch of ennui and don't fancy it, or have another project we need to complete first, almost like a chore but it slips in the interest side of work.

Whatever, she's a gorgeous model and in the seven years I have been a Mayhemer, I missed the last post, so to me this is an exciting new project worthy of following. That mast is fab.
Pond weed is your enemy

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2021, 08:44:21 am »

HI Dan nice to see you again im boatman remember me from MODELWARSHIPS UK  forum  as i was on there building my USS NIMITZ back about 2009 time  an im on here as frogman 3  building my HMS TIGER build  so back to your ship hope you will finish her as i remember you sayin you was thinking of joining the R/N so did you do it ?  an i built HMS Cambeltown in 1/72 scale an they chose my ship as the header picture for the forum if you remember an i think its still on as the forum header pic pity it ran down as there was so much info on that site  which is now lost as i cant get back on there an severall others have treid well hope to speak to you soon  when you come on line
ATB chris the boatman  :-))  an Dan here is a linkpic to my campbelltown model in 1/72 scale that was the header pic on modelwarships uk
https://ibb.co/QMFwzFx

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2021, 01:42:29 pm »

Whatever, she's a gorgeous model and in the seven years I have been a Mayhemer, I missed the last post, so to me this is an exciting new project worthy of following. That mast is fab.

Thank you very much mate! I didn't expect life to get in the way as much as it did but there we go, I've started again so I'm happy.

HI Dan nice to see you again im boatman remember me from MODELWARSHIPS UK  forum  as i was on there building my USS NIMITZ back about 2009 time  an im on here as frogman 3  building my HMS TIGER build  so back to your ship hope you will finish her as i remember you sayin you was thinking of joining the R/N so did you do it ?  an i built HMS Cambeltown in 1/72 scale an they chose my ship as the header picture for the forum if you remember an i think its still on as the forum header pic pity it ran down as there was so much info on that site  which is now lost as i cant get back on there an severall others have treid well hope to speak to you soon  when you come on line
ATB chris the boatman  :-))  an Dan here is a linkpic to my campbelltown model in 1/72 scale that was the header pic on modelwarships uk
https://ibb.co/QMFwzFx

Hi Chris! Yes I remember, I'll never forget that Nimitz, disappointed I didn't see the finished thing, but from what I did see I bet it looked fantastic! I remember the photos of your Type 22, I've been looking for the warship forum, sad it's no longer there, as you say there was so much valuable info on it for them.
The navy didn't happen for various reasons, but I'm a plumber now. Still evolves around water 👍 I'll head over and take a look at your HMS Tiger! I'm bound to pick up some new tips and advice!

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2021, 06:02:54 pm »

Thank you very much mate! I didn't expect life to get in the way as much as it did but there we go, I've started again so I'm happy.

Hi Chris! Yes I remember, I'll never forget that Nimitz, disappointed I didn't see the finished thing, but from what I did see I bet it looked fantastic! I remember the photos of your Type 22, I've been looking for the warship forum, sad it's no longer there, as you say there was so much valuable info on it for them.
The navy didn't happen for various reasons, but I'm a plumber now. Still evolves around water 👍 I'll head over and take a look at your HMS Tiger! I'm bound to pick up some new tips and advice!

HI Dan so you a plumber in the end then still a very good job very well done on that an you say you [size=78%]I'll never forget that Nimitz, disappointed I didn't see the finished thing, but from what I did see I bet it looked fantastic![/size][size=78%]  well here are a few pics of how she was  finished an she sailed really great even in gale force winds up at sheringham pond as it next the sea on a cliff top[/size]
https://ibb.co/pb1BBP3

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2021, 06:06:21 pm »

an here underway in a high wind
https://ibb.co/Bc7xWPn

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2021, 06:17:25 pm »

an here a shot of her on her display  table
https://ibb.co/pntwBVL
Hope you you liked the finished artickle Dan an it took 7 yrs to build in the end
as it had a lot of working things such as working aircraft elevators an open an closiesing hangers doors all worked from R/C an i was very pleased with her an i sailed her  for three yrs an in a few model shows an a colector wanted her so she went as we moved to a smaller house
ATB an i'll let you get back to you type 22 build an im looking forward to seeing her finished
ATB chris hope to talk to you soon  Dan as im on here near every day

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2021, 10:18:37 am »

Good to see you resume your build Dan. As has been said, your Mainmast is a nice piece of work. RR Tyne soft patches included.
I look forward to following your progress.
Nige

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2021, 10:36:05 am »

Hope you you liked the finished artickle Dan an it took 7 yrs to build in the end

It looks fantastic Chris! Definitely has a presence on and off the water!

Good to see you resume your build Dan. As has been said, your Mainmast is a nice piece of work. RR Tyne soft patches included.
I look forward to following your progress.
Nige

Thank you Nige! Hoping to have more updates within the next week!

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2021, 10:22:11 pm »

Latest update, tidied up the funnel, added the metal work and repaired damage that the funnel has suffered durning the last decade. At least one rod of every bit of metal work is drilled into the funnel mould for a bit of rigidity and added support. Then due to the size the small (as small as 3mm) metal rods have simply been super glued with a glue gel. I’ve found this the easiest for a quick grab when setting the rods in place, and when dry it’s not as brittle as standard superglue.
I’d previously painted the funnel superstructure before fitting the funnel, but seeing as I’ve now attached the funnel to its super structure I thought I’d just re-prime the lot of it.

I’m happy with the over all progress. I’ve slowly started to add minor details such as the wipers and bits of miscellaneous accessories and it’s really starting to come together.

Next step is to repair and replace bits of the aircraft hanger

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2021, 09:13:04 am »

HI Dan very nice work you have done on her as this is a complex model as i found out when building my 1/72 campbeltown but try an keep your top weight down as  love your brass work but to much can get heavy as again i found out on mine an she needed a lead counter balance wheight fitted to the hull under side but she sailed great an hope your will too but im enjoying lookin at your build as it brings back good memeyrioes for me when i was building mine over 20yrs ago now keep up the good work as i'll be following  :-))
chris the boatman

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2021, 11:15:17 am »

Thanks Chris  :-))  I think I'm going to be ok regarding the weight as the structures are only 1.5 plasticard and the thickest brass rod used is 1mm. Glad your enjoying it too! I do think if I was to build another, it would have to be 1:72 purely for ease when it comes to adding the detail

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2021, 11:29:52 am »

Thanks Chris  :-))  I think I'm going to be ok regarding the weight as the structures are only 1.5 plasticard and the thickest brass rod used is 1mm. Glad your enjoying it too! I do think if I was to build another, it would have to be 1:72 purely for ease when it comes to adding the detail

HI again Dan yes the 1/72 scale is the best of the scales in my opinion an there is plenty of room in her to add working feature as you know i like to fit in the model  but beware she is nr 7ft long thats why i alwalys cut model in half for ease of transport to the pond an it fairly easy to do but makes life easyier an when you get to pond all have to be done is just slip it togeather an fit on the butterfly nuts an shes whole again an sailble
chris
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.