Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS campbeltown build 1/96  (Read 43569 times)

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: HMS campbeltown build 1/96
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2022, 09:53:13 pm »

No much progress, but I've started with the handrails. Mades by measuring and bending 0.5mm brass wire, adding the stanchions and then fitting these to the deck. I think they're just be a neater way of producing the handrails but I'll try and figure that out on the next build. I've also started adding the life raft canisters across the ship

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2022, 09:14:54 am »

HI Dan very nice job on the railing  hope they will fit on ok  :-))  looking forward to more when you get round to it
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2022, 07:09:40 am »

HI DAN you have made a crackin job of bringin campbeltown back to life brilliant young gent you are love your hand rails they are very well made as i struggle with mine an did you in the end get the BECC deck yellow an black warning signs ? for her ? as thats what im missin seein on your ship an a bit of colour an on the bridge roof it needs a small union jack flag an i hand painted my badge on the side of the funnell S/S an if you need a pic of it i can send you a pic of it as it sets the ship off but let me know if you do an if u give me your email address i can send you the pic an yes u started this ship when we was all on modelwarships /uk dint you pity that site went down as there were a lot of fanstastic moddelers on there an i still have people askin me what happend to the site so it shows it was very poular
so could we see some update pics of her on here ?
ATB young Dan wish i was your age as im now nr 70 yrs old an getting pains where i never thought id get them lol
ATB
Chris  :-))

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2022, 10:23:11 pm »

Hi Chris, thank for your kind words!
The BECC markings are out of stock everywhere. I did get the Heli pad stencil for when I finish that, and used 2mm under the main gun, but it was tricky to get the radius so for the rest I'll just wait until BECC are available.
I will be putting the union jack's on the deck at a later date. I might try weathering it slightly as at the moment it looks very "flat"
I'll message you my email Chris as any photos are extremely helpful.

These are the latest photos from tonight. Still alot to do, however I do feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel  :D

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2022, 10:51:04 pm »

Its a fine compromise between looking superb until a strong breeze bends them and making them out of silver soldered brass and bankrupting you! They look pretty good to me and should stand up to casual sleeve brushing. :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2022, 11:30:57 pm »

Looking superb Dan...... :-)) ...

I went back to 30 July 2008 and DSC0036.jpg...have you a fully sealed boxed in hull area below the Heli-pad?...thus to keep the hull watertight should a rogue wave lick over those lower hull openings....

Looking forward to a video of the sleek Gray vessel on the water

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2022, 09:25:33 pm »

There's been a couple of gentle sleeve brushes and 9 times out of 10 they've held.up fine, I have knocked them once whilst not paying attention breaking one section off but it was undamaged and went back on no issues at all  :-))

Derek, when I first did this part all those years ago I remember flooding it and there were no leaks, however I will be trying it again when I start the water trials as I suspect there may be a few gaps now that I'll reseal. Hopefully all will go well and it'll make for a good video  O0

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2022, 04:11:51 pm »

Coming along very nicely Dan. I am also looking forward to seeing a video of her on the water.
Keep up the good work.
Nige

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2022, 11:33:36 am »

Morning all.

A bit more progress albeit slow. I was aiming to have the whole model completed by now but this never goes as planned. I'm still enjoying the build as it continues. Not much of an update, but as you can see, more stanchions have been added and I'm nearing the completion of these.

More bits of detail have been added included the ships boat. You can see some of the brass etched parts I'm using, including the fire hose baskets. Quite fiddly at 1:96 scale but do look very good when painted up and installed in place.

And finally the Heli deck is nearing completion. Just a bit more to do to that and I'll be happy with it.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2022, 02:17:05 pm »

HI Dan very well done on this model an she looks very good  :-))  an love that motor launch an up to you on this but if i was you paint your wire aieals that stick out in first white an then paint on day glow orange so people dont take their eye's out on the points as thats what i do on all my ships as you dont want people suein you as it can happen at a show or when you are out sailing but if painted bright dayglow orange you can say well they are easy enough to see unless you pay an insurance or in a club for up to a million pound but better safe than sorry eh as i got warned of this as it mostly children that look right close where the danger lies
but a fab model be nice to see her sailin
chris :-)) [size=78%] [/size]

Chris67

• Full Mayhemer
    • La mini-flotte de Lamiral67
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2022, 03:59:09 pm »

Hi !
 :-)) Very nice realisation !

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2022, 06:53:23 pm »

Thank you chaps. I may well do something with the antennas Chris as I've almost caught myself whilst leaning over it.

Now that it's nearing completion (still a few more grab rails and small bits of detail to add), I thought I'd see how she sits in the water. I used two 6V lead acid batteries for weight and a few fishing weights because that's all I had to hand. She sits perhaps a bit too low with 2.2KG added, so I'll try 2Kg next time.

However, I've encountered a problem that I'm sure Chris mentioned a while ago. When I add the super structure, she becomes extremely top heavy and very unstable, to the point I had to stop it capsizing. So I'm open to suggestions with this. Is it a case of as much weight as low as possible?

Thanks,

Dan

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2022, 07:59:10 pm »

Hi,
No sure what ballast you have in it already as sits well on the waterline. On mine I have all the electrics and battery as low as possible but added x 2 @ 0.5kg in two socks one  just forward of midships and one under the hanger area.

Keep adjusting and I am sure it will be fine, but they do roll abit.
Rich
Regards,

Rich

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2022, 08:24:48 pm »

Hi Rich, I've not got the running gear in at the moment as I'm in the process of rewiring it.

For the test I used two 6V lead acid batteries and some fishing weights, a total of 2.2kg. Would lining the lowest points of the hull with ballast help reduce the roll? I'm reluctant to put a keel on it as I want to keep it looking as realistic as possible on and off the water

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2022, 08:36:10 pm »

Hi,
Definetly dont need a keel, just need to get everything as low as possible but consider Lipo instead of SLA there size does push the centre of gravity higher. Then if you need more just add the weights.

i run on 2s or 3s 8000 lipo and lasts about 90 mins messing around. I also have a stainless rod on the on the T45 fwd to aft right along the inside of the keel..
Rest assured you will get it right.
Rich
Regards,

Rich

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2022, 08:29:02 am »

I hadn't even considered using other types of batteries. Thanks Rich, I'll look into the best option then add the extra weight around it

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2022, 10:07:09 am »

Happy to help, just drop me a PM/email if I can help further.
Regards,
Rich
Regards,

Rich

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2022, 11:38:40 am »

Thank you chaps. I may well do something with the antennas Chris as I've almost caught myself whilst leaning over it.

Now that it's nearing completion (still a few more grab rails and small bits of detail to add), I thought I'd see how she sits in the water. I used two 6V lead acid batteries for weight and a few fishing weights because that's all I had to hand. She sits perhaps a bit too low with 2.2KG added, so I'll try 2Kg next time.

However, I've encountered a problem that I'm sure Chris mentioned a while ago. When I add the super structure, she becomes extremely top heavy and very unstable, to the point I had to stop it capsizing. So I'm open to suggestions with this. Is it a case of as much weight as low as possible?

Thanks,

Dan

HI Dan well in my opinion i dont think you will be any better off with lipo batts as yes they are fairly light but what you need is some wheight in the bottom of the hull to make a counter balance to stop the roll on the ship an in the wind it will be even worst so try layin some thin lead in your hull bottom an fit your SLA BATT back in as  with 1/96 its a job to make them float ok as ive sen others with a 1/96 ship an they had problems to as the type 22 in not got much beam so not much stablity as thats why ive never built in 1/96 but just exspirement
chris

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2022, 04:10:57 pm »

Hi there Dan

I have built one of these models plank on frame many years ago.

Originally the model suffered a similar problem - i.e. as though it was top heavy.

What I did was added lead shot mixed with resin in the stern of the hull round between the two prop shafts and at the bow.  This was a big mistake due to the fact that I couldn't remove ballast later on.  This was because originally I was running it on 6 volt 1.5 amp lead acid batteries - the thin ones - which used to sit really low in the centre of the hull on their sides.   When I came to upgrade the battery to a 6 volt 10 amp lead acid battery, it sat too low in the water (above the black water line) but, I don't know how you are mounting your SLA battery in the hull, BUT, do you realise the battery is heavier at the bottom than at the top - therefore, if the battery is standing up in the hull, you still have a fair bit of weight at the top of the battery which is acting as a fulcrum lever - and this will add to the dis-stability of the hull.

You could try, lying the battery flat and using a small amount of weight to counteract the heaviness of the bottom of the battery.   The other alternative is, which I have used now, is this type of battery (see picture) I use two of them in HMS Exeter.    Have you noticed what I do, I built a tray for the batteries to sit in and at the bottom of the tray there are two brass strips - these are positive and negative pick ups - which go to the speed controller.   On the batteries there are 2 corresponding copper strips which make contact with the strips in the tray.   The only thing you have to be careful of is to MAKE SURE THE BATTERIES ARE IN THE SAME polarity - in other words don't short em oot.  :-)

The last thing as far as aerials thing is - I use 2 small beads on the ends of the aerials as protectors - this is because I was told a horror story by a modeller at one of the shows about a guy who bent over a model submarine to inspect it and he was stabbed in the eyeball by one the antennas.  Still to this day I cringe about it.

Here are couple of pics -

1.   I think this is of your model and battery set up
2.   One of the model that I made many moons ago
3.   The battery set up in HMS Exeter - just to give you an idea.

Last but not least - is the funnel on your model solid resin?  -  if so, it may pay you to try and drill it out to lighten the weight.

Aye

John

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2022, 05:04:06 pm »

Hi John!
Thanks for your reply and useful info!
Currently the hull is bare and has no running gear other than the motors so I'm effectively starting from scratch with the electrical side of things. I currently have 2 6v 5Ah batteries which if I use I'd lay them the same way you did to get the weight as low as possible.

I was also looking at the lead shot mixed with adhesive, I think this is a good way forward for the extra weight.

Hi Chris,
It does have a very narrow beam with is undoubtedly causing issues.. 1:72 next time for me, or something bigger any way. 

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2022, 05:34:45 pm »

Hi John!
Thanks for your reply and useful info!
Currently the hull is bare and has no running gear other than the motors so I'm effectively starting from scratch with the electrical side of things. I currently have 2 6v 5Ah batteries which if I use I'd lay them the same way you did to get the weight as low as possible.

I was also looking at the lead shot mixed with adhesive, I think this is a good way forward for the extra weight.

Hi Chris,
It does have a very narrow beam with is undoubtedly causing issues.. 1:72 next time for me, or something bigger any way.

HI Dan yes 1/72 scale in best as i made campbetown up in 1/72 scale an because its in a bigger scale you will have a lot wider hull but be warned that the fleetscale hull is about 7 ft long so i made mine like all my big ships in two half so easy to lift an transport an reember when building the S/S ALWAY build light as i aways build in 1mm thick plasti card  an then strenghten it by fittin qauter inch sqaure balsa strips top an bottoms so its a light as poss an same with the masts an then you should not have to worry about the ship rollin about on the water as my cambeltown sailed very nice remember she was the header picture sailin on modelwarshipsuk forum
 :-))  chris

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2022, 07:14:02 pm »

Hi Dan, ref the lead shot, you could place it in 'zip bags' for the ballasting trials and when you're happy you can go ahead and set the shot in resin - of course, you would need to take account of the weight of the resin as well.

Hope this helps you a little.

Ray.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2022, 08:00:11 pm »

I would have removable/adjustable bags as I do in both 1/96 & 1/72
Regards,

Rich

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2022, 10:02:09 pm »

Those are great ideas, thank you both! I'll get them ordered up and 2KG of lead shot should do it

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2022, 11:15:21 pm »

She looks fabulous! I agree about getting that ballast low, and maybe sacrificing a small amount of freeboard to ensure she stays upright in all but the most extreme turbulence which you would avoid anyway by not sailing in poor weather or when fast electric etc is running.

Its surprising how the little bits of detail like weapons add weight up top.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.