Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: narrow boat hull  (Read 5838 times)

tonysmoke

• Full Mayhemer
narrow boat hull
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:19:16 pm »

hi all,  jersey here,  I'm looking for a narrow boat hull about 36in long and 4or5 in wide, this is to be a winter project hope some one can help, thanks   tony O0
t le b

Big Ada

Re: narrow boat hull
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:59:23 am »

Hi Tony,
I seem to remember a while back someone used square section plastic guttering for their hull, it is about 4 to 5" wide and you can cut it to your own length required.
And its cheap.

Len.     O0

das boot

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:02:04 am »

Look in builder's skips...it's free then.

Rich

Big Ada

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:15:05 am »

Hi Rich,
Ah yes the joys of Skip surfing,lets start another thread !

Len.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:50:29 pm »

I have a narrow boat and the hull was made from 3 floorboards and 2 offcuts of 6" fence post shaped up for bow and stern, it looks great and gets many comments and offers to buy. No it's not for sale.
Alan

wideawake

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:59:59 pm »

hi all,  jersey here,  I'm looking for a narrow boat hull about 36in long and 4or5 in wide, this is to be a winter project hope some one can help, thanks   tony O0

A while ago someone used to advertise just such a grp hull in the magazine.  I don't recall seeing the ad recently though.
Alternatively there is a company which has a lot of original narrow boat plans.   The chap is called Laurence Hogg.

www.laurencehoggproductions.co.uk/plans.htm

If you want to build a scale boat then it's not enough to make a trough and put a vaguely pointy bit on one end and a round bit on the other!   All the working boat classes were slightly different and some, the "Joshers" and Cowburn and Cowpar boats, considerably different.  Even the modern builders build quite recognisable styles.

Well down my list of projects is a 1:12 model of the steam narrow boat President from plans I got from LH

HTH

Guy

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 02:18:21 pm »

Tonysmoke,
Riversidemodels do a kit which you can make into either a trad working boat or a pleasure style. But as Guy has said they all had different sorts of bows, and the riverside kit needs a bit of moding, the hull is around 4 ft and does make a nice model.However I do have the yard drawing (plan) of a steel motor working narrow boat cir 1931 published by the Inland Waterways Models Company in 1979. The full size hull was 70 ft, and the section of the drawing is around 35 in. If it is of any use, PM me your address and I'll stick it the jolly old snail mail
Phil
Steamed up all the time

wideawake

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 02:34:06 pm »

Ah ha that's the name I couldn't remember Phil - Riverside Models.  I'm not sure if they are still trading but the website doesn't seem to be working ATM.

Cheers

Guy

Timo2

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 03:25:18 pm »

Hi All

GRP Narrow boat hulls  @ 

Denby – Narrow Boat £40.00 - 1/20 scale  Length  30``  Beam 4``
                  Various scale Narrow Boats – 30", 40", 70". From £45.00

http://www.scalehobbies.net/id3.html

Timo2

P.S.    On  Holiday at the this time

Wiggy

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 05:32:13 pm »

Hi Tony,

'Hobbies of Dereham' used to do a plan for a narrow boat that was about 40 inch long and 6 inch beam and could be r/c'd in 1/12th. scale so all dolls house stuff fitted.
I went onto their web site but couldn't find it but it was called 'Elvin'. If you get the plan, beware, some of the parts are drawn the wrong way round!
Best of luck.

Paul.

tonysmoke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 05:38:09 pm »

hi all to day was spent looking for and in skips , not alot around but found a plant tub, about 36in long, 5 in wide
fibre glass i think i can use this, thanks for all your help and to phil for the plans, regards tony,
 O0
t le b
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.