Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things you find in a skip...  (Read 3245 times)

Big Ada

Things you find in a skip...
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:17:51 am »

So guys, what have you found in a Skip then ?. I think they are called Dumpsters? elsewhere ?.

Len.   O0

andyn

Re: Skip Surfing
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:43:29 pm »

I know a bloke who found a R/C Trainer complete in a skip with Hitec Optic 6

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:23:30 pm »

how about a 7 ft fibregalss dolphin..... i rescued it thinking it may make a good  RC sub model...the skips at pinewood studios are full of awesome stuff....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Roger in France

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 05:58:42 pm »

I once found a tramp ("hobo" for our transatlantic cousins)! But i didn't keep him as he smelled and drank methylated spirits.

Roger in France.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 06:32:48 pm »

The wife calls me a skip inspector and gets realy embarresed when out and about and theres a skip near by ,i have found things from hoovers to televisions and then theres the skips that are filled when a house is cleared ,one mans junk is another's treasure .
Did anyone see that short series on the telly about three months ago called Empty, staring Gregor Fisher, now when they were clearing out the models thats one skip i would definately be in to.
daz 
found the link http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ5wTo_3f08
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 07:15:15 pm »

Not a skip, but did anyone see a recent morning auction show on TV (wife watches, not me) where they sold off 4 model frigates/destroyers that appeared to be shipyard models for £100? £25 each. Heartbreaking for the seller.
Notes from a simple seaman

d-jnana

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 09:45:54 pm »

Once found a three piece suite.
I then sold at the car boot sale for £70
Have over time rescued various building materials, plasterboard, plywood, hardwoods, softwoods, insulation foam (made a great surfski from that) and bricks, blocks etc, in fact my inlaws extension contains much skip salvage.

Also rescued out of the boot of a car at the civic recycling centre, a 4 hp Yamaha outboard which was being thrown out because it didn't run, till I turned on the fuel tap. Swapped that for a boat trailer, still regret that.

Personally I consider myself a skip diving addict, fortunatley so is my wife, "waste not want not." Got that gem from my Grandad, and still live by it. The kids though die of shame every time we stop the car to inspect the contents of a skip.

GARY

das boot

Things you find in a skip...
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 09:11:21 pm »

Whilst shopping today, I passed a skip sitting in the supermarket car park, and just had to have a quick look in(as you do)and came home with two B&D cordless drills. Spent an entertaining couple of hours this evening taking them to pieces...result, a 540 sized motor with a gearbox, a 360 sized motor, eight cells ( all of which seem to hold a charge), all the wiring, charging sockets, a two way switcher and even a diddly little led light are now in the bits box.

Moral of the story....? NEVER pass by a skip without looking in it!   :-))

Rich

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
Re: Things you find in a skip...
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 11:43:15 pm »

I nearly allways check out any skips i pass (the wife calls me the skip inspector amongst other things) i have collected many things from hoovers to a set of flashing beacons (the big strobe ones) and about forty commercial spot lights ,all working. but i did miss out when the local B&Q (York) had a refit of their tool section and there were three forty foot compacting skips full of all the old display tools and whatever was left in the box from the replacement tools on the new displays . what a waste  <:( <:( <:( <:( .
daz

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 09:03:50 am »

I have to confess to being a 'skip diver' too. I have found all sorts of wonderful stuff, from an old Cyclemaster winged wheel bicycle power unit to tv's and radios. Recently, an engineer friend of mine decided on a complete change of lifestyle and gave up engineering as a hobby. He threw out a lifetimes worth of useful modelling and engineering stuff and filled a skip with it. It broke my heart because even though he called me round to survey his discarded equipment, I couldn't take it all away as I am stowed with too much 'stuff' allready. I did however retrieve some wonderful creations of his and a few tools and some other modelling bits and pieces.
I daren't dig any deeper in that skip of his otherwise i would have filled the house up and would have ended up divorced.
I Never pass a skip without a rapid visual scan.

das boot

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 09:12:26 am »

I had a good teacher....chap named Dave Stevens, a good mate of the late Bernie Wood, he was renowned for never ever passing a skip without taking a good look. He had a built in radar for finding the things....we could be on the way to a show somewhere, and all of a sudden he'd dive off the route and find a skip. We used to return home laden with 'stuff' he'd dragged out of them!

Rich

amdaylight

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 06:35:05 pm »

Hey Rich,

Did you find anything ROUND in the skip?  %)

Andre  ;D

Over yonder in Portland Oregon

das boot

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 06:44:58 pm »

Steady Andre...steady, don't want Ian hearing of this, it may put him off.

Rich

(see...never mentioned the word "ROUND" at all  O0)

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 08:09:42 pm »

isn't it interesting how this is ok in some places and not in others...

There was an article on TV earlier in the week about dumpster divers here (NZ) and what they found in skips - and how they had been arrested by the for theft for taking items from the dumpsters.
I presume int he UK that taking something from the dumpster isn't theft?
Alister

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 09:24:00 pm »

technicaly once the item is in the skip it is the property of the skip owner but being british if you ask the person who has hired the skip they will more than likely let you have said item/s apart from a recycling dept .
Many years ago i used to frequent the local tip , mainly to deposit houshold waste i had been paid to shift (i wont tell if you dont) :police: :D . This one time whilst tipping a gent reversed up to the skip and was strugling to get what appered to be a newish moped from his trailer , i gave him a hand to put it on the floor and helped him with the rest of the items into the skip .At the end i tried to put the moped back in his trailer and he told me that it was unwanted  :-) , could i have it i asked and would you sign a piece of paper confirming it as a gift as the local inspector was watching  <*< .
At the end of the day the old chap was happy ,i had a new moped (working) and the inspector was upset as he had lost out.
So the morel is yes you can take from a skip , with consent.
daz

craftysod

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 09:36:37 pm »

A few years ago i worked for a skip company.
We had to go in the dockyard to collect the skips from the ships.
If you went to a ship that had just been decomissioned,it was an aladins cave of treasure,tools,waterproofs you name it was thrown in.
When they turned clarence yard into posh housing,with the old buildings,we had to remove stores that had been there forty years or more.
I must have dumped at least two hundred mae west lifejackets,solid oak timber,and remarkable old ships spares.
And the stuff normal people throw out is mad,got the ex wife a brand new exercise bike,she never used it (thats why she is ex  {-))
I could ramble on all night with the stuff i retreived,but i wont
Mark

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 02:58:33 pm »

I know what you mean .
just the other day a gent at the waterways museum was asking me where he should take an old lamp that he had , it turned out  it had a clicker thing on it for sending morse  so i advised he should contact the navel museum to se if they wanted to borrow it as it was cluttering up his garage along with some other stuff .
daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.