Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: You couldn't make it up, could you?  (Read 7068 times)

FullLeatherJacket

You couldn't make it up, could you?
« on: August 02, 2008, 08:40:21 am »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/7538134.stm

Has no-one got any common sense any more?

FLJ

barryfoote

Re: You couldn't make it up, could you?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 08:43:23 am »

Absolutely stupid. That will have taken at least half a dozen Council meetings, reports from experts and a buyer to get the shakers, not to mention the cost of having them specially made. The rate payers of Norwich have been ripped off again... >>:-( >>:-(

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:44:34 am »

Well that's the Tories for you

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:04:54 am »

What a pretty blue! Over here in darkest (blue?) Norfolk, we like to "du things different", and if it causes all you folks in the rest of the UK a bit of amusement, all the better.

Our latest scheme is to close all the post offices and police stations. This evens out, as there are no post office robberies for the  nonexistent police to investigate. If you really need a policeman, you can leave a message on the HQ answering machine!

Rick

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:10:22 am »

What a pretty blue! Over here in darkest (blue?) Norfolk, we like to "du things different", and if it causes all you folks in the rest of the UK a bit of amusement, all the better.

Our latest scheme is to close all the post offices and police stations. This evens out, as there are no post office robberies for the  nonexistent police to investigate. If you really need a policeman, you can leave a message on the HQ answering machine!

Rick

Frighteningly true >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

nhp651

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:56:11 am »

yeh but still a beautiful county to live in. ;D {-) :D O0

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 01:06:11 pm »

It certainly is. We've been here for 29 years and wouldn't move now -  we're almost naturalised! Mind you, having a Norfolk Granny helped.

Rick

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 01:41:04 pm »

on the original issue of salt
Quote from: from article
A spokesman for the National Federation of Fish Friers called the scheme a "gimmick" and said customers would just shake the containers more.

I know i would shake more to get more salt.

can someone tell me where its going to end?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 01:46:20 pm »

Rick

999 responce in norfolk
"welcome to the plolice emergency hotline if you have a touchtone phone please use one of the following options, if you do not, please hold... If you would like to report a smoking violation press one, ...if you would like to report a violent crime press two, ...if you would like to report a domestic incident press three, ...if you would like to report a firearms incident press four, to listen to the options again, press the hash key"

(4) *beep* "valid citizen, all lines are busy, an operator will get back to you shortly...." (cue elevator music)

*some minutes later*
"norfolk police are unavaliable to process your request please call later, we're sorry for any inconvenience caused" *dialtone*

djrobbo

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 02:23:46 pm »

Answers easy aint it ? they are going to put one out of work rozzer in every fish and chip shop to count how many times you shake the salt pot ! Sentence decided by how many times you shake over the limit : :police: >>:-( >>:-(

And you think i'm joking !!!!!

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 12:10:50 am »

Ghost, you can still dial 999 in Norfolk and get straight through to a plod. However, the first thing they ask is "Is the crime in progress?" If you answer "No, I've just got home, my wife's car is gone, my front door is hanging off its hinges, the dog has had its throat cut and every stick of furniture is missing - but, there's no one about..." then you'll be told that is not an emergency, the crime is not in progress, no one is in danger, please ring 0845 456 4567.

Other than that, your scenario is about right. My neighbour has a used car business. Last Friday his workshop, along with two other people's premises, was turned over. He's contacted plod three times, but has not even been visited or interviewed yet.

Rick

RipSlider

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 01:07:50 am »

I'm going to stick up for this one.

I had a summer job working in a chip shop when I was in school. Of all of the chippies in town, the one I worked in was the quietest. Even then, on an average week day, when most of the day was dead, I was re-filling the 1/2kg salt shakers at least 4 times a day. Lets say 200 people a day ( on a good day ) and that's 10g of salt on a single meal on average.

AND - there were some hefty fella's who would eat at the shop 5-6 days a week ( as it mean "no washing up" - for goodness sake.... :(      ) - and often these people would have 2 meals a day from us. These are not people who have the odd fish'n'chips, but big hefty people who have them pretty much every day.

Most people don't bother with getting a fixed amount of salt on - they'll give it a few shakes and then they're off - so if my old chippy has used these shakers, then it would mean much less salt going on - granted, some people would probably "top up" at home, but many wouldn't.

Those salt shakers are pretty sturdy things. Lets say they last 5 years.

Over 5 years, that reduced salt might mean that one of those fat lumps who eat 2 pie and chips a day with treble salt on top might NOT have a heart attack.

Today ( 2008 prices ) an "average" heart attack costs the NHS £22,000 all-in (drugs, outpatients, consultant meetings etc etc )

So it's a gamble. £450 vs a potential £22,000. ( or maybe £25,000 after 5 years ).

Worse case, a few people eat a bit less salt, which is never a bad thing. However, there is a degree of chance in having a big pay off. I'm not sure what that chance is - I would take a punt and say 50:50. But even if it was only 10:90, it's probably worth taking a punt on it.

Well, it is in my opinion, but there is just as good a counter argument.

Also, the mortality rate for heart attacks ( barring all the stuff about the golden hour etc ) is about 3/10. So maybe a life gets saved in the process. Central government ( although not local ) reckon that £8m is worth spending on a project per life that could be saved. ( They blatently don't stick to it in ANY way, but that's what they are supposed to budget for projects which may save lives - also armed forces personell have a MUCH lower figure - knock two zero's off that £8m figure and your close - which is shameful but an entirely seperate discussion ).

Steve

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 08:38:50 am »

Steve

I don't think there is any dispute about the motive for this, just the method. I once sat in a pub and watched one of those same fat lumps actually unscrew the top from a salt shaker and pour the entire contents of it onto a meal - and that  was meat and three veg, with gravy! If I'd have been the cook I'd have probably gone and fetched my Black and Decker and turned him into a salt-shaker!

Just when you think you've made things idiot-proof Nature throws up a bigger brand of idiot.

Anyway, don't you actually need a lot of salt on goat meat.........?  :o

FLJ

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 10:00:17 am »

Oh, I forgot.... Although my neighbour is still waiting for action from plod - he's writing to the Police Complaints guys now - he has had a letter from Victim Support offering counselling.

"Sorry sir, we can't be bothered to find the villains that wrecked you business, but we can make you feel better about it!"

Rick

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 10:24:41 am »

Steve,
Unfortunately the biggest provider of salt in food isn't the shaker, its the hidden amount in processed foods. this along with the excessive amount of fatty acids etc is the biggest cause of this problem.
You have to check The labels of EVERYTHING now.
As we have moved from preparing our own food to using processed foods we are ingesting all sorts of unwanted junk that just increases the profit margins of the suppliers.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 11:42:47 am »

It's funny how these threads change.
This one started off slagging off a council for trying to provide a heathy diet for it's people, now it's slagging off the police for something completely different. ??? :police: :angel:

What do you think about wheelie bins???

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 12:25:32 pm »

There should be a policeman inside each one to protect the householder.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 02:24:54 pm »

Thanks, Colin - but I'll take that with a pinch of salt......................

FLJ

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 03:54:47 pm »

Apparently, wheelie bins are soon to be issued with smaller holes in the top, to prevent us throwing so much away....

Rick

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 04:10:09 pm »

It's funny how these threads change.
This one started off slagging off a council for trying to provide a heathy diet for it's people, now it's slagging off the police for something completely different. ??? :police: :angel:

What do you think about wheelie bins???
They make great work tables for sanding....when its sunny {-)

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 05:27:49 pm »

I find ours just the right height for spraying O0

catengineman

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 05:31:27 pm »

Yup the wheelie bins are soon to have bar codes ! so YOU get charged for what you throw away in WEIGHT!! (bet that will be extra on top of the council charges already paid!!)

R,

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 07:00:40 pm »

even if you buy your own wheelie bin, council will probably fine you for respraying it!

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 08:40:47 pm »

Yup the wheelie bins are soon to have bar codes !

How do sheep know which are their lambs.....

Baa codes

{-)

Bee

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 09:22:03 pm »

I always thought salt shakers only had one hole. When I have encountered a multihole specimen I assumed it to be by mistake rather than the norm. There again I have rarely partonised a chippy and never in the east.
Perhaps an EEC regulation to enforce the use of 'Lo-Salt' is in the offing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.