Masterclasses > Winston S Churchill

Q & A - Holmsey's Winston S Churchill build

<< < (2/21) > >>

gary r uk:
Hi Holmsey
Missed you at the lake 2day
looking good on the Winston S C with this amount of progress she should be ready for christmas
cheers
gary rowe
BPMBC

Colin Bishop:
I think you will find that a Bower anchor defines the location where the anchor is housed (bow) rather than the type of anchor itself - but what do I know?

Colin Bishop:
Paul,

As a yachtsman I was taught that the bower anchor is the vessels's main anchor, normally stowed at the bow and may be one of several different types, Admiralty, Danforth, CQR, Bruce etc. However I appreciate that Admiralty pattern anchors may also be stowed at the stern see http://www.tsrye.fsnet.co.uk/Anchors.htm. Is that what you mean? in which case small boat nomenclature would seem to differ from that used by the RN. As you have practical RN experience I'd be interested in your comments as we all learn something new every day.  :)

Colin

Holmsey:
Dave Woolley describes the anchor as a Bower Anchor in Model Boats (January 2006) captions 8 and 9 on page 18. He says The USN describes it as "A High Holding Anchor". It is a Danforth Anchor as is commonly carried on yachts like the one I sail on. Just a bit bigger I think. It could also be described as a bower anchor because of it's location, a more generic term.

That's probably enough Bulls**t for this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holmsey

Colin Bishop:
Thanks Paul, that is interesting, particularly the point about the sonar dome. You certainly wouldn't want to bounce an anchor off that! I must say I have wondered about anchors a bit as the recommended anchor size on a small yacht seems to be proportionately quite a lot bigger than those commonly fitted to larger ships, both naval and merchant. The loading on a 100,000 ton cruise ship anchor must be pretty substantial yet they are deployed as a matter of course at ports of call.

Colin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version