Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunlux speed control  (Read 3211 times)

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
Sunlux speed control
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:08:13 am »

Woulds any one know anything about Sunlux speed controls? I've been given an unused one that has no instructions. I don't know what voltage it'll run on or what the two adjusters on the side do, I'm presuming their neutral and full speed like an Electronize but I don't want to hook it up with out knowing.

barryfoote

Re: Sunlux speed control
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 07:45:25 am »

Barry,

I have done a little research and find that Sunlux is an Indian Company, dealing in amongst other things, remote controllers for things like Industrial cranes. I dodn't think your speed controller was ever meant to be used in a model. Sorry about that, but I would not risk it, particularly if you don't know the specs of it.

Barry

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 11:11:37 am »

Thanks Footski. That sounds like you only company I could find. The box has mine down as being made in Taiwan R.O.C. It came from a hobby shop so it should be alright for a model and it has a servo lead. It's just what voltages and how to set it up. I did ask them at the shop but it seems like it's been their long than some of the staff.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 02:30:29 pm »

Barry
According to its datasheet that old NPN transistor on the top is rated for 60v and 15A MAX. The trimmers are, as you say, most likely to be for neutral and peak output. Colour codes for the servo lead look to be the same as JR. Why not give it a whirl - it's not cost you anything after all?
Be gentle with it and it'll probably last another 30 years................. ;)
FLJ

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 03:24:25 pm »

Unless there is a relay living under there somewhere, I suspect that it is just a speed controller - reverse might not be an option.  Any chance of a picture of the underside?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 01:49:33 am »

Opened it up and there is a relay inside. It's marked as 6 volts so I guess that answers that question. Do you think that would be 6 volt maximum or do relays have a bit range?
Thanks for the help.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 08:51:19 am »

Barry

The relay usually takes its power from the logic supply i.e. the battery connected to the receiver. Although it says 6v on the case it should pull in at a lower voltage. For example, the 8A relays we use have what are nominally 5v coils but they will operate down below 3v. I've never had cause to test a relay above its quoted nominal voltage, but I doubt if you'd want to use anything more than 4 x dry cells (=6v) for your Rx and servos anyway.

The power side of the circuit is where the main battery voltage is applied and, as I said, that old transistor is supposed to be good for up to 60v.
If I were testing this out I'd use a 4.8v NiMH pack for the Rx or servo swinger, and a 12v gel-cell on the motor (probably a 360 or 385). Put a 10A fuse in the positive lead between the battery and the ESC, just to be on the safe side.

............and before anyone asks, I doubt very much if it has BEC* on board...................  :o

FLJ

*Bothersome Extra Complication (seeing as how we aren't allowed to use even ersatz swear words now!)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 11:39:10 am »

aye aye there Barry

Just double checked FLJs calculations on the power transistor 2N3055 (this is an ancient transistor) however, I have a circuit diagram for a servo driver; this uses 2 of these transistors.   Although the transistors are rated at 60 volt 15 amp; the actual circuit diagram I am referring to - to give you a rough estimate of voltages; is 15 volt maximum; and, it is 10 amp.    What will really govern the voltage and amperage is the track on the PC board.    I fear you would melt the track before you would actually do much damage to these transistors.     As a sidenote though; the IC chip in the pic that you have put on here; looks as though it is a ZN409E and these little 'CRITTERS' although we have one or two :D are a bit like HEN's teeth to get hold of.   

I would put a circuit diagram on here to help you - but, the last time I copied one out of a book I was chastised for it  :'( so no more copying from books I think.

Aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 12:37:55 pm »

Thanks for all the good info. I was hoping to use it on 12 volts, when I saw the 6 volt on the relay I thought that was max voltage for the motor. I didn't realise that the relay voltage refered to the radio side of things. The chip has two numbers on it UPC 1035C and K9311E. Looks like I'd better wire it up and see what it does.
Again thanks for the advice.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

looks as though it is a ZN409E and these little 'CRITTERS' although we have one or two :D are a bit like HEN's teeth to get hold of.

Ask me nicely, Mr Bloobs, and I'll look in my cupboard. I'm sure they're in there next to the rocking horse dung, but they are  my pension......... ;)

FLJ

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 06:52:45 pm »

The 6 volt reference will be the relay coil, and, like Dave says, will work from the voltage supplied via the small plug from the receiver under control of the chip.  The 2N3055 will be controlled by the same chip, but will work in conjunction with the relay contacts.  The whole thing is probably very much like the old Maplin PWM ESC kit.
A relay coil will have a nominal operating voltage.  It will usually operate down to about half that.  It will normally stand up to about twice that voltage without getting too hot.  The contacts would normally have a high voltage rating - we are more interested in the current ratings.  This the switching current, being the current that it can switch off without forming a destructive arc, and the carrying current, which is usually higher.  Circuits usually arrange for the current to be minimised when switching happens.
The contacts in this case look nice and knobbly, and should give years of carefree service.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 10:17:02 am »

Just thought I'd let you know that the speed control works well. It seems quite happy on 12 volts the transistor doesn't get hot anyway.
Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.