Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laminate / wood flooriing...  (Read 7698 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Laminate / wood flooriing...
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 11:43:07 am »

Do you want us to have a go about the solid bamboo now Chris ? O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 12:35:46 pm »

Ok Dicky, give it your best shot old chap.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 01:20:45 pm »

Had a look at the web site Chris, seems a lot of money for compressed grass ( Come and look at my bathroom I have compressed grass for the floor---hmmmm not very trendy) also it does not say on the website if it is waterproof.

http://www.bambooflooringcompany.com/index.php

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 02:01:23 pm »

I had a look at the website Dicky, most of the types refer to 'strand woven' however, No 5 on the list refers to 'solid vertical' and I would assume this is the natural product. The missus was looking at this on some other website she'd found so what do you think, would this solid stuff be better or doesn't it really matter too much? It is going in the bathroom as I said so it's not going to get a lot of hard wear. There is the other point that if SHE decides to have it, I won't be allowed to walk on it or splash it or even touch it for that matter... do you know where I can buy a 'hoverboard' like the ones we saw on Thunderbirds!!?? 

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 03:59:05 pm »

No5 has a 25year structural guarantee Chris, but it is still only compressed grass. Dont really know enough about it to comment.
Small point, how sllippery is it when wet.
Small consollation if you have to have it, when it all goes a**** upward it wont be your fault, you didnt choose it :angel: :angel:

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 05:13:23 pm »

Dicky, She found one which had a less slippery surface specifically for bathroom use so it looks as though I'm sunk!
I did in fact deny all responsibility for when it all goes belly up but I got the usual emotional female blackmail response... " you wouldn't say that if you really loved me"! I have personally managed to completely wriggle out of the job as I have quoted the various comments everyone made about getting it professionally layed so a bit of a giant bonus for me. Thanks Men!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 06:09:33 pm »

Personally I have never liked any of the engineered flooring materials as it seems a bit clinical for me and although maybe not physically cold can give that appearance.

It might be worth remembering that real planks are an option are surprisingly easy to fit and look so much warmer than engineered laminates.

My dining room floor was done with real planks prepared by a local firm who saves them from building demolitions.  The wood is obviously well seasoned so shrinkage is an absolute minimum.  I simply stepped the planks as though they were attached to floor joists and used a nail gun to stick them down.  A new skirting stained to match finished the job which only took a couple of days. 

Three coats of polyeurethane to give it some durability and I'm very pleased with it.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 06:58:36 pm »

Dicky, She found one which had a less slippery surface specifically for bathroom use so it looks as though I'm sunk!
I did in fact deny all responsibility for when it all goes belly up but I got the usual emotional female blackmail response... " you wouldn't say that if you really loved me"! I have personally managed to completely wriggle out of the job as I have quoted the various comments everyone made about getting it professionally layed so a bit of a giant bonus for me. Thanks Men!
Hooray!! O0

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 09:50:19 pm »

Sorry to add another bit to the 'slip' subject but please note that slip-resistant is not non-slip. Domestic materials are always a compromise between looks and technical requirements. There's no such thing as non-slip because even with the biggest dimples in the world, some prat will break his little finger and put in a claim!

Professional specifiers, such as housing associations, will almost always specify proper slip-resistant flooring, such as Altro, for the wet areas. Proper means with a decent test rating.

They are quite happy to use laminate in the hallways and lounges and the quality is only governed by price.

At home, you end up putting bath mats down and covering up a fair bit of the bathroom floor anyway after the first close shave when the floor's wet.

Also, please note that the vast majority of 'guarantees' relate to the time taken to wear the flooring/carpet or whatever out. Nothing to do with how quickly it starts to look, shall we say, hard done by.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 10:39:44 pm »

Chris (Sheerline) what ever finish you go for do not use any kind of chipboard green or otherwise in a bathroom.

(a) All your pipes are covered and if you get a leak its a hell of a job to get to them. You will first have to remove the finish layer, then using a circular saw cut through the chipboard, then make the repair. As chip board relies on the integral joint for strength the floor will never be truly stable again.

(b) Water will soak into the chipboard and over time dissolve the glue which holds the `chips` together, this can spell disaster. The worst case I have seen is arriving on a job through the back door to find a bath leg sticking down through the kitchen ceiling.

As a plumber when I did up my own bathroom I went the way of Bunkerbarge. Natural wood plank's (floor board) will do. Secret nailed it. Hired a belt sander and spent a couple of hours sanding everything smooth, then several coats of Ronseal 5 year wood stain. Its been down 6 years or so and no problems as of yet.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 11:57:27 pm »

Thanks for that Colin, I have to say that a planked floor was my original intention for all the reasons you outlined but Women have no real concept of whats really involved in these kind of jobs. I haven't given up working the job my own way and with a bit of luck may be able to grind SWMBO down. I ripped up the interlocking chipboard floor in one of the bedrooms and laid  ordinary planking in there, the results were quite pleasing and I learned a lot from the experience so I think I could do a much neater job of the bathroom with the experience gained.
How do you prevent spillage in the bathroom seeping between planking as I'm sure the joint between natural planking must open and close depending on humidity? I know you can seal the surface but the undersides will be bare wood and if there are any heating pipes below wouldn't that cause the planking to dry out and shrink somewhat?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 08:30:45 am »

Vinyl, that is what you need Chris, it's not all like the old lino you know.
I have a wood strip vinyl in my kitchen that people keep mistaking for real wood strip flooring, it's so realistic.
Ticks all the boxes.  O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 09:01:45 am »

There are different types of laminate floor.
Most of it is mdf with a photocopy/photograph (honest) of a pattern on it. This can (often does) wear out and leave mdf shining throug.
Also it does not like water.

The type proteus showed us in his post is ply and 5.5mm of wood on top. A very different kettle of fish.

I was advised not to use it upstairs becuase of a need to get to services. In the event of needing to get pipes etc, one popular solution is to go up through the cieling below. I think you can imagine the mess.
Laminate floors are designed to go down once and once only.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 09:58:26 am »

Hello again Sheerline,

One of the answers so seepage between the (proper) planks is to take a tip from boatbuilding and caulk the joint.

A neighbour of ours is a a yachtbuilder of the old school. He laid old oak planks, caulked the joints with hemp and white caulking and even dowelled the screw holes. A really beautiful job and relatively easy to undo if required.

Tony

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 10:21:26 am »

Heavy discussions with missus last night, desperately tying to swing her over to planking and might be denting her armour!
I would rather put in the effort of a nicely planked floor now, rather than have all the effort and misery of ripping up and replacing an interlocking floor covering because of some kind of future plumbing problem.
Dicky, your referral to vinyl is very logical, it's cheaper , easier and definately waterproof but I don't think she'll go for it. The whole of the existing interlocking floor is coming out shortly and as I'll have a blank sheet to start from, I want to get it right from the word 'go'. I'm definately sold on the 'real planking' floor idea I have to say. 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 11:01:29 am »

Richard has a very good point. We have vinyl tiles in our kitchen which look like dressed stone and very realistic they are too as well as being doddle to lay. Added to that I'll bet they are much harder wearing than laminate and are warm to the touch which makes nocturnal visits to the fridge much more comfortable!

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 12:26:04 pm »

Interesting read... When my wife first visited the UK she was astounded to see carpets/wooden floors etc in bathrooms. The regulations in Sweden demand an essentially "waterproof" and mould-proof constuction so wood floors are very rare here... However if the good lady wants wood in the bathroom maybe this will placate her

or here http://www.laguna.li/english/index.html

Floors and walls have to be sealed using membranes or rub
ber type paints and then your other coverings. All floors are built with a fall towards the obligatory floor drain. Most common floor coverings here are plastics or ceramics.
Just recently they have banned the use of cardboard faced plasterboard as a wall substructure. Surprisingly you still hear that damp problems associated with bathrooms is a huge insurance problem. Could it be that the UK system where you don't lock in any eventual leaks and damp is a better solution??
As an aside they still laugh at the British having plumbing on the outside of houses.......

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 01:19:33 pm »

Sorry Colin, but you may a tad hopeful about the wear.

Almost all cushioned vinyls and many 'patterned' vinyl tiles, including lots of Karndean, Amtico etc. consist of a printed foil/paper on top of a harder or softer base and then with a clear vinyl cover. I.e. they are not homogeneous.

The thickness of the cover determines, generally, the amount of wear you get.

This is fundamentally the same problem as with Laminate as has already been mentioned by others. In other words, once you wear through the top bit, 20-30 thou. +or- you have lost it.

It's a long time since I went to a 'cushioned' vinyl plant, but the three-dimensional effect was created then with a version of baking powder.
The substrate layer vinyl had a foaming agent included that was activated by heat. Before printing the design, the first run in the press was a catalyst that neutralised the foaming so, for example, it would print the grout lines if it was a tile design.
Once the clear layer was applied, the whole lot would go through an oven, the tiles in the design would thicken, leaving the grout area behind and produce the effect you wanted.

I'm afraid that I went with old fashioned Lino in the Hall, KitchenDiner (Must admit that I inlaid a fish pond, complete with goldfish, lillies and a periscope) in the middle and normal carpet in most of the rest of the house, including our bathroom.

Frankly, most of this thread is irrelevant because most people go with what they like, not for what they 'should' have. Just check the pipes, check the subfloor and put it down!

Tony

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 05:36:51 pm »

Hi Chris,

I used standard T&G floorboard 2 tips. First hire a floor board thing ama jig cannot think of the correct name but its a steel device that self clamps to the floor joist and then allows you to 'jack` up the floor boards tight into one another before nailing. Second when I did my bathroom floor a put a bead of gripfill into the groove.

FLOOR BOARD CRAMP its my age.

Yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 06:34:04 pm »

That wooden bath is absolutely beautiful.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 11:23:32 pm »

Colin, 'floor board cramp' is what I'll get through kneeling! Joking aside, I think the missus could now be swaying towards the planking idea after all the doom and gloom I have been spouting about interlocking boards etc. Looking good so far chaps.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.