Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed Controller From The Past  (Read 2019 times)

andypat

Speed Controller From The Past
« on: August 06, 2008, 09:33:57 am »

Hi All
   I have got a Fleet Control Systems FPS 14 speed control which must be 25yrs old, but as age is getting to me I can not remember voltage or max amps it can be use with . I have had a look inside but all I can see is 6 volts engraved on the contact breakers plastic case.
  I have just gone back to my youth where it all started ,so I'm going back to boats.
Thanks

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Speed Controller From The Past
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:05 am »

The 6v will almost certainly refer to the coil voltage i.e. the amount of electrical grunt you need coming from the receiver supply to tug the relay contacts across. As mentioned on another recent thread, most relays will operate at about half their nominal coil rating, so the standard 4 x AA Rx pack will do nicely. Take care you check the order of the wires in the plug - from memory, Derek Olley decided to make his with the negative lead in the centre, so you may well need to change them over if you're not using Fleet gear. Most contemporary gear has centre-positive.
While I can't find any specific info on this elderly beast I reckon you'd be OK to use it on up to a 12v motor battery, and maybe 15A as an absolute maximum continuous current. Fuse it @ 10A just to be safe, and good luck!
FLJ

andypat

Re: Speed Controller From The Past
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:07:04 am »

Thanks for the reply FullLeatherJacket .
  Just found a picture but it looks like Graupner Jumbo 750 10 Volt motors and 13 amp in-line fuse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.