Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Err.... A little help here please??  (Read 8447 times)

RipSlider

Err.... A little help here please??
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:28:19 pm »

Lets play a game.

I'll set the scene first:

Lets say that your wife... we'll call here Mrs Steve for now... is currently away with "the girls" and will be back home on sunday evening at approximately 6pm.

Lets also say that your wife, after much debate and incredibly dull conversation, has finally choosen a carpet that she likes. And it's bright white. Your wife friggin' LOVES this carpet

Now lets say that you... we'll call you Steve for now... have decided to spend the evening sharpening chisels at the table in front of the TV, but, being unable to find any 3 in 1 oil, opted to use car Engine oil instead. To make this a bit more realistic for you, we'll pretend that you were using Castrol  10w/40 partially synthetic oil.

Now, finally, lets say you are a cack handed so and so and when the phone unexpected rang, you knocked the bottle of engine oil off the table and onto your pretend wife's brand new carpet.

So here's the game:

If such a circumstance had happened, how would one get the oil out of the carpet in such a way that when your wife returned home at 6pm on sunday she wouldn't know?

Obviously this HASN'T actually happened. And why would it? No one would be stupid enough to knock a bottle of engine oil over there wife's new carpet.

But, if we assume that some one WAS that dense, and now they had approximately 44 hours to remove the oil, what would they do?

For reference - and purely becuase it makes the game more fun - you can assume that the person who knocked the oil onto the carpet has already mopped up the worst of it, and also spent a while scrubbing at the stain with a petrol covered cloth to little effect...

We can also assume that this pretend person called Steve has begged 5 liters of DMSO from a chap he knows at a local chemsitry department, but there is no certainty that it would get to you before sunday evening, and so that option - which will definately work - is out of the window.

Steve

warspite

Re: Err.... A little help here please??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:46:22 pm »

Any hyperthetical relation to the expectant 'justice for fathers' steve  {-), my answer - run now, dont look back, convert your boat to a canoe, your mission should you choose to accept it is see how far you can get in 44 hours, chear the bank account out -well maybe not all of it.  :-\  :-\ :embarrassed:

catengineman

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:53:35 pm »

I concure

Is the "carpet" wool or a man made fiber? Oh and never use PETROL it WILL STAIN though with the pending death I don't think there is any worry as to what the "small stain" is (could be) cleaned up with....

You could rearrange the furniture ie disguise said mark with a chair in the pretence that it is better Carma (or CALM HER)

then before discovery do as Warspite says.

R,

chingdevil

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:56:50 pm »

Steve

Run, you are on borrowed time now :o :o :o :o

Brian

catengineman

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 09:01:25 pm »

Take enough money for the plastic surgeon

and find a chap who can supply false passports and names etc

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 09:02:30 pm »

Replace the carpet with an exact copy and tell her you have spent the weekend cleaning the old one so it shines brightly like her eyes in the moon light!!!!!!

Failing that.......RUN LIKE HELL..

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 09:04:04 pm »

was it you that nicked all those passports then?
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

nhp651

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 09:10:51 pm »

make sure your house contents aAND life policies are up tp date, and failing that buy a canoe and a one way ticket to Panama.........now were've i heard that recently :D {-) ;D

Eric65

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 10:16:56 pm »

I tried to think how this would work out if it was me......not a pretty image i'm afaid.....but then my wife is from Middlesborugh and the scariest person I know, so maybe you'll be alright....aherm...

Run.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 10:43:12 pm »

It's no big deal - as long as your household insurance covers accidental damage - speak to your agent / helpline, explain what a complete ar5e you were, and get it replaced.

Alternatively, and this could be a little painful, put phone on speed dial for emergency services, then stab yourself with chisel just above the wrist - this is called 'going for the sympathy vote', everyone knows how blood stains. Whilst waiting for ambulance (speed dial -see?) , ensure most of blood covers oil stain, but spray some up walls, curtains etc- before passing out.

Not only should the insurance cover replacement carpet and cleaning / replacement of curtains - wife comes home to see you bandaged, thinks you can't sharpen chisels and buys you new chisel sharpening device - result.

(If this doesn't work - my daughter's moving out tomorrow, we've now got a spare room.....)

nhp651

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 10:54:38 pm »

only one problem with that scenario, grasshopper,
since when has blood smelt like good ol' 95 octane motion lotion....... :'( ::)
i think he's deep in the old ess atch one tee.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 11:01:41 pm »

used the petrol to lift the blood?

There's a thought, just chuck a match on it - wwoooof! definitely need new carpet..........and probably t.v., three piece, side board....

As Forrest Gump said, 'if you're gonna walk on thin ice - you may as well dance!'

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 03:21:33 am »

You need to lift the oil off the fibres of the carpet.  Petrol will unfortunately simply dilute the oil and spread it over a larger area and, as it thins down the oil, helps it to stain the fibres.

You need a good detergent to remove the oil from the fibres, which can then be soaked up with an absorbent material or a vac.  I would have tried swarfega first, gently rub it into the carpet with a cloth to loosen the oil.  Then hire yourself a wet vac and remove the swarfega with the vac.  They are very good and not too expensive for a day.  The steam ones are even better but not so easy to get hold off.

You could also look for the relevent "Stain Devil" bottle.  Do a google.  They do a huge range of solvents for carpets and upholstery for all sorts of different stains from tar to paint and everything in between.

The worse thing you can do is help it to be absorbed by thinning it down, but you didn't really need to know that anyway did you?!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 05:55:57 am »

Rearrange the furniture to cover it up....

.. until you can find a way to remove the stain..  O0

Rex Hunt

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 08:52:56 am »

Shake and Vac!

:o

and then RUN!

Rex

8)

still shaking 'Steve'?

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 09:22:53 am »

Fill a milk bottle with engine oil, empty contents back into oil can so bottle retains oil residue, place bottle on carpet stain and break with hammer. Now break window in lounge, phone police and report case of vandalism, they will issue you with an incident No (if they turn up). You will now be the injured party in this scenario and can earn bonus points by offering to run the wife around for a day looking for a replacement whilst at the same time offering losts of symathy and cuddles.
The other option is to go into the workshop , find a decent sharp object and commit Hari Kari right now! 

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 11:24:07 am »

You could always try cat litter, which, I think, is actually Fuller's Earth.......petrol stations use it for spills.

Failing that folow everybody else's advice and go away for a while with your neighbour's wife......... >>:-( >>:-( :angel:

barryfoote

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 11:27:37 am »

Fill a milk bottle with engine oil, empty contents back into oil can so bottle retains oil residue, place bottle on carpet stain and break with hammer. Now break window in lounge, phone police and report case of vandalism, they will issue you with an incident No (if they turn up). You will now be the injured party in this scenario and can earn bonus points by offering to run the wife around for a day looking for a replacement whilst at the same time offering losts of symathy and cuddles.
The other option is to go into the workshop , find a decent sharp object and commit Hari Kari right now! 

Now that really is a sneaky one........What a mind you have!!! O0

RipSlider

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 11:36:44 am »

Well. I know this is only make believe, but this is what I would do:

1) spend night in pub with friends saying bad words
2) drink to much
3) wake up feeling poorly
4) ring carpet shop - they still have some of that carpet in! Hurrah
5) Have carpet fitter sent out with carpet

then wait nervously for man to arrive and post of MBM. If this was real, the carpet shop would have assured me that they could cut the affected bit out and let in a new bit completely invisibly...

flashback to childhood of my old man getting a new partial carpet for the lounge. Remember that the join was visiable for weeks.

Feel ill again...   :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'(

Don

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 12:18:38 pm »

I think what I would do is to call Mrs. Steve and suggest that she may want to stay on holiday a few more days... after all doesn't she deserve it?

If that don't work...

Just admit what happened and get it over with - at least it's honest......

But then again I'm single  ..........

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 12:27:07 pm »

hello
use salt and leave over nite it will get 99% out put a pot plant over the rest, change your name mr smith works best leave the country have plastic surgery empty the accounts when you hear the sirencancel the gas paint the windows white take all the internal doors off move all furniture away from the windows ??
gary
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 12:46:03 pm »

1) Cut out offending section
2) Find carpet of same colour and shade or offcut of thereof, perhaps some was left behind when carpet was fitted, presuming that it is.
3) Carefully cut replacement section and if into section cut out taking note of the way the carpet is woven.
4) Hope that the above is not noticed for a while.
5) Own up and take the consquenses, buy a repalcement of her choice promise never to be so stupid again.

LB

Who once re-built a motor bike (Bezza C11) in the dinning room one winter, this cost me a complete redecoration

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 12:55:51 pm »

1: Surpise her with new puppy/kitten...
2: DO NOT take puppy outdoors all day after copious amounts of choccy...

Game set & match!

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 06:37:32 pm »

Dear Steve,

If it's not too late and you have already sorted it out, call a professional carpet cleaner in and they will sort it out. Make sure they are top notch, as they will have all the right chemicals (and machinery), to sort it out. A good operator will do Sunday mornings as a special call out (if not 24/7). It will cost, however it would be worth it.

Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 06:38:39 pm »

p.s. If in doubt as to how to get a good contractor, ring the best hotel in your area and ask who they use. B.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.