Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best waterproof epoxy?  (Read 2780 times)

homerlex

Best waterproof epoxy?
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:53:07 pm »

I have a Sheerline Akula.  When I initially built it years ago I used T-88.  In some places the t-88 got brittle and parts came off.  A few weeks ago I fixed the parts using the same batch of T-88 from years ago.

All the parts I redid a few weeks ago are coming loose.  My first though would have been that I did not mix the epoxy properly bit I did the fixes at 3 different time (so, I doubt I mixed it poorly each time).

My thinking now if that the T88 sitting on the shelf is just old.  So, before I go ordering more, is there a better epoxy that I should try out this time around?

Regards

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: Best waterproof epoxy?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 11:04:35 pm »

I think your T-88 must have gone off. Its always worked fine for me. They are meant to have a shelf life of a year or 2 only though. The other one I use is Deluxe Materials 1 hour epoxy (for smaller jobs when I cant wait for the T-88 to cure), reccomended by Engel for their submarines so I guess they are pretty waterproof. UHU Plus 300 Endfast is superb and waterproof but very pricey for the amount you get.

kayem

• Full Mayhemer
  • .....excellent!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 09:24:58 am »

Don't know anything about submarines, but I do know a bit about epoxy adhesives. I've no doubt there are other good ones, but the only epoxy I've found that is totally unaffected by water, apparently for ever, is Devcon 2-ton. Yachts are a hostile environment for adhesives, they get much wetter than most other boats, except for submarines of course, and most yacht sailers use Devcon, with no failures that I've heard of, and no shelf life problem. As with any glue though, surface preparation is the real key to strength and longevity. I have a pond full of Koi in my garden, and had been having problems with the submerged pump coming apart. I tried several epoxy adhesives to repair it, but all failed after a few months under water. Then about five years ago, I re-did the repair with Devcon 2-ton, and it's still as good as the day I last fixed it.
"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book; inside of a dog, it's very dark" Groucho Marx

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 11:37:22 am »

Hi Homerlex, Don't use epoxy's.. the instructions tell you to use polyester resin/ glass mixture or even Holts P40 resin/glass, available pre-mixed in a tin at your local car accessory shop. These bond well and are like materials, as the hull is also polyester resin. I have Dennis Caters original prototype boats, some of which are over ten years old and nothing has fallen off yet! He never advocated the use of epoxy and neither do I, I have seen boats put together with epoxy and and the parts do come off after a while and can even be pulled off with the bare hands. Naturally, with any kind of glues, you should clean and rough the surfaces prior to application.
Try it.... it works just fine.
Best regards.. Chris

homerlex

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 06:18:08 pm »

Thanks Chris - good to hear from you again.  I'll try to find the polyester resin as you described.

Regards,
Mike

homerlex

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 06:28:51 pm »

BTW - I just looked back thought the instructions that I have - did not see any mention of using resin.  Perhaps I have an older set of instructions.  I don't suppose you have updated instruction available online or in a PDF somewhere do you?

Regards

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 09:46:04 am »

How old is your boat H ?

homerlex

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 02:42:31 pm »

How old is your boat H ?

I got it in July 2001

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 12:23:57 am »

Give me a ring H andI'll try and sort something out for you. Tuesday onwards would be best.
Best regards... Chris

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 12:28:17 am »

Sorry H just realised you were in USA! Contact me via e-mail and I should be able to fix you up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.