Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Boats V Relationships  (Read 15339 times)

Pointy

Boats V Relationships
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:20:36 pm »

Aaaaaaghhhhh! I've just come back from the worst date ever- the kind where there are just long silences and cringing attempts at humour and small talk. I'm sticking to boats.

1. Boat- no responce = charge up batteries, check wires.
   Girl-    no responce = Who knows whats wrong? where's the socket? wires crossed for certain.

2. Boat- Ages to build, needs tender loving care gets better with experience.
   Girl   - Needs tender loving wallet, gets more cynical with experience.

3. Boat- Need to pick the right one, subject must be of interest and fun to use.
   Girl-    How the hell do you pick the right one? Interest variable, waining over time.

4. Boat- You may loose control if someone else has same frequency as you.
   Girl   - You think you ever had control- hahahaha!

5. Boat- You get to take it back if parts are missing.
   Girl-    You will find out parts are missing when it is way to late and just who can I take her back to, her mother?

6. Boat- I don't have to make small talk, impress or have painful conversations about feelings, I can just shove it in the water.
   Girl-    Must do all of the above but sometimes wish about the  'shoving' and 'water'

7. Boats- They can be heavy and awkward and sometimes your propellor might drop off.
   Girl-     As above. But with more talking.

To any girls reading this, just replace the word 'Girl' with 'Man' and I'm sure you will see it works both ways. I'm not ranting at you just the whole relation ship thingy.

Halley

Re: Boats V Relationships
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 05:57:37 am »

You probably saved her from a fate worse than death?

ambernblu

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 07:13:25 am »

... more than likely saved yourself from a fate worse than death! Trust me, I know about these things!  ;D

Pointy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 07:51:31 am »

Thanks for that kick while I'm down Halley, if only you appeared every 76 years like the real thing......

Halley

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 09:57:30 am »

I am trying to limit my appearances !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ambernblu

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 10:12:00 am »

8. Boats - Give 'em a few charged batteries and they are happy for 20 minutes or so...
   Girl -     Give 'em your life's savings and they are back in 10 minutes demanding more!

ambernblu

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 10:21:15 am »

9. Boats - You can easily switch the boat OFF.
   Girl -     errr???

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 10:23:40 am »

Hi All

My boats can't cook or pack a sutcase like my wife. Horses for courses ;D ;D ;D

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 10:34:55 am »

Where would I have been without my wife this last few weeks wouldn't change her for the world...............A Happy Hunter maybe  ;D ;D like most things in life you have to work at relationships
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 05:58:22 pm »

10 Boats - You can leave them in storage and drag out , dust down and away you go  ;D
  Girls - cannot leave alone might wander off.   ::)  Dust yes they may but do they ever?    :D  Have girl -don't get to go boating often enough
 ;)

cheers

Jim  ;D
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 11:01:47 pm »

Pointy,

wasnt a certain Miss BadSin ( anna-gram)  was it ?
Then again, I can't imagine her being "silent"
 ;D

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 11:52:47 pm »

There was a Miss Badsin on Mayhem
Who felt that she had to display 'em
But a rather frank post
Brought a ban from our host
So she found that she had to Ebay 'em.

Well it's getting late...

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 12:03:11 am »

Pointy- now I feel sorry to disturb your experience by the following:
 Met up with a lady two weeks ago. Told her about my hobby and that I never want to give it up. Guess what!
She wanted me to make her a yacht!

11. Boat: Can be made for your own pleasure, but might catch some interest to it`s creator
     Girl: If interesetd in the builder, might be a double-way pleasure!  ;)

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

ambernblu

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 08:56:40 am »

Said Miss Badsin to her Man Friday
              'I thought I was gonna have my day...
           but thanks to that Dobey,
           who calls himself Bobey(!)
              I can't show my boats off any more.......'  :'(

OK, so it doesn't ryhme!

with acknowledgements to (and based on an idea by) Colin Bishop  ;D

ambernblu

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 10:44:46 am »

Hey, Steve, how did you know her real name was Anna then?  Something you want to tell us? ;D

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 01:03:38 pm »

Hey, Steve, how did you know her real name was Anna then?  Something you want to tell us? ;D

Brian,

just something a nice little Italian lady told me.......... ;)

"Giva me justa one more cornetto..........."

;D Steve

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 01:15:19 pm »

Model Boats are a HOBBY,
My missus tells me she AINT.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Pointy

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 06:36:34 pm »

Way to go White Ensign!

So why do I find telling people I have this as a hobby embarrassing? Well sometimes I get "Hey thats sweet" said in a kind of 'hey is that the time, someone get me away from this freak' kind of way. Others may just go for the jugular "Isn't it time you stopped playing with toys?!" said in a 'please tell me your kidding, you ARE joking right?!' kind of way. Others just say "Thats really good" but mean 'well what else have you got going for you' sort of way.

Why do I feel so self-conscious as I walk in the park towards the pond past families and happy looking couples while carrying that great heavy thing that took over 7 months to build? Is it because I'm saying 'hey look at this, yes it was expensive and yep it took ages to do and aren't I clever' Or is it more like a monument to my total lack of social skills and utter hopelessness when it comes to women?

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 07:37:34 pm »

No, building and sailing model boats isn't embarassing, why should it be? It's a satisfying and rewarding hobby, and if others can't see it, then that's their problem, just be yourself. Most people don't have any real hobbies or creative interests at all, you'll find them spending their leisure time in the pub, or sitting watching TV, and that's something to be proud of? Most modellers are creative people, many that I know also do things like painting in oil or watercolours, woodturning, photography, stuff like that, and many of their wives and partners have creative hobbies of their own, because like-minded people tend to find each other and pair off. I've never been shy of admitting to being a modeller, the pub goers and couch potatoes might be laughing at me, though I don't think so, but who cares? I certainly don't. Years ago, I've suffered a few dates like pointy described in his original post, but as we never got around to discussing the finer points of modelling, I don't think my hobby interests had much to do with it. Women find self confidence attractive, even a turn-on, so be self confident about your boats, really, I'm being serious here. A woman who shows no interest in a potential partner's worthwhile leisure pursuits isn't likely to be interested in much else either, and I'd guess that the majority on this forum have wives & partners who actively support their men in what they do. Right, that's enough of that, I'm off to my morris dancing club.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 07:51:12 pm »

I did wonder at first if building model boats might be met with some amusement.
Especially as I work on a real ship.
BUT
When the others saw me working and the finished model I converted 4 to take up the hobby.
Now I tell people PROUDLY what one of my hobbies is, yes making and sailing model boats.
AS far as women go, most find it interesting and different to going down the pub or watching TV.
There are also some very strong relationships where both partners are interested in the hobby.
If the lady didnt take you as a "whole" packege then perhaps she is not for you.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006, 08:05:46 pm »

Shipmate is right. A great many people, men and women probably more or less equally, are fascinated by well-built models of all kinds. I know that sounds like a double entendre, but I am being entirely serious here. I well remember several women's faces lighting up when I showed them one of my own creations, stop sniggering at the back there! I'm pretty certain that my interest in modelling and similar creative pursuits has gained me a lot more nookie than it's lost over the years, so it pays off in all kinds of ways.

ambernblu

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 09:28:46 pm »

.... one of the most important things to learn in life is that you have to be true to yourself - its just no good trying to be someone else!

I just ignore the odd thing that you pick up on being said at work..... (actually, its my model railway that seems to come in for the worst of it - stuff like 'well he's certainly found his station in life....' (yawn!))

To be honest, I think they are just extremely jealous!  :(

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 09:46:42 pm »

If you go Anmo's route shout it from the rooftops, but beware you might not have time for modelling, lol

Bob
Officially a GOG.

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 11:17:17 pm »

Ambernblu has it dead right, and Bob, a healthy love life, 'getting it reg'lar' as we always used to say oop north, stops you going blind and it stops your hands shaking, so it's the best possible thing if you're a modeller isn't it?

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2006, 03:13:43 am »

Pointy,

If your lucky like I was and find the right girl you will never regret it, I was sentenced to life nearly fourty years ago and we stiil enjoy each others company and we have our own hobbies and we also enjoy hobbies together, so all I can say mate is forget  the shitty one and look for a more suitable one, they are out there, and good luck...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.