Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scrap Box woes  (Read 2489 times)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Scrap Box woes
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:20:09 pm »

I have a scrap box (well several actually) into which I put offcuts of timber, balsa, ply and plastic for future use. Also odd fitments left over from other projects and bits bought and for various reasons not used. Now the problem is that the offcuts are usually too small for the job in hand so I buy another piece of timber etc which is usually too big so the offcut goes in the scrap box. See where this is going...

I thought by separating the various wood types and fitments I would be able to easily find what I wanted. Trouble is I tidy up every so often and the longer lengths of wood and the smaller boxes get put away and I end up buying another piece of wood or fitting rather than using what I have.

Does any one else suffer like this or have any ideas for improving my husbandry. I have tried recording what I have but I either forget to update it or lose the list (even computer recorded ones).

All comments welcome (no abuse please) :o

Doug
Don't Assume Check

catengineman

Re: Scrap Box woes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 10:29:23 pm »

Err yes common problem

answer easy off cut used straight away on new project thus no need for box
Oh just looked around and seen numerous jobs not finished, all await "off cuts from other jobs to complete"

Blast need box for off cuts

Sorry cant help have problem with boss

R,

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:04:13 am »

I seem to have a very efficient memory for scraps I have put into one box or the other. My problem is I convince myself I have just the thing for the job, somewhere. And then spend hours looking for it when it would be much more efficient to buy new.

But, oh the joy of finding the right bit and "beating the system"!

Roger in France.

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 08:27:48 am »

Make sure you only have one "scrap box" and make it big enough to take all your off cuts. Keep it open and in a prominant position in the workroom. Keep buying a bigger box as your supply gets bigger, until you ....oh dear....I see a problem.....have no room for the box!!!!!!!

No sorry....I can't help either :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 10:32:49 am »

Could we use the off cuts to make boxes, to keep our off cuts in.? ::) :-\
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

catengineman

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 12:42:30 pm »

Did that but then had to cut up said box for that 'off cut' which was just the right size, Mmm then bought piece to replace side of box

bit of a daft thing when I should have just bought new and saved a lot of work but then I kept me out of spanners way {-)

das boot

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 03:40:36 pm »

Move house! I now live in a small flat and have to do my building in a corner of the lounge. I have to keep things neat and tidy because (a) I live in what I leave and (b) I never know when the girlfriend is going to call, and if the place is untidy, tools left everywhere, scrap bits littered in all directions...well, you know what happpens.  :embarrassed:  >>:-(

Rich

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »

I have a scrap box (well several actually) into which I put offcuts of timber, balsa, ply and plastic for future use. Also odd fitments left over from other projects and bits bought and for various reasons not used. Now the problem is that the offcuts are usually too small for the job in hand so I buy another piece of timber etc which is usually too big so the offcut goes in the scrap box. See where this is going...

I thought by separating the various wood types and fitments I would be able to easily find what I wanted. Trouble is I tidy up every so often and the longer lengths of wood and the smaller boxes get put away and I end up buying another piece of wood or fitting rather than using what I have.

Does any one else suffer like this or have any ideas for improving my husbandry. I have tried recording what I have but I either forget to update it or lose the list (even computer recorded ones).

All comments welcome (no abuse please) :o

Doug
Yep. Just the same. Never used bits go to the dump after a few years and then the bit you dumped is wanted the next day.
Notes from a simple seaman

GaryM

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 06:38:51 pm »

Same here.
I recently emptied my shed and filled two dustbins with odd bit of wood, and loads of trailer runs to the tip with bits "that may come in handy"

regards
Gary :)

Roger in France

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 07:11:35 am »

Gary, I would have cried all the way to the tip! But I know what you mean.

After moving to France, four years later I still have the odd box or two of "Miscellaneous. In Workshop please". I opened one last week and started to sort things into a set of drawers, throwing some odds and ends into the bin as I went. Every jettisoned bit caused a tear and some were brought out of the bin again and stored! As I looked at some lovingly wrought brass angle pieces I recalled what they were made for and  then some pulleys on a bracket, what did I make that for, so on and so on - a happy hour!

Our local DIY shop gathers up all its offcuts and occasionally puts them in a box outside, 10€ the lot. I can seldom resist. Just imagine, I buy someone else's scrap box!

Sad, sad, sad.

Roger in France.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 11:06:02 am »

Everybody seems to be clearing out their sheds.  It must be the weather eh!! 

I have been 'spring cleaning' mine and tidying up and sorting out. My scrap boxes were rather excessive so I went through them all, just like you, Roger, a lifetimes collection of shapes and materials, just for 'that' odd occasion.

I ended up with stuff my wife thought I would never use in a hundred years (very generous, I thought), so we sorted out a few boxes of metal here, wood there, plastic here, and enough electric wire to connect to the next town,  to go to the local tip. 

On arrival at said  'Tip',  I was confronted by a 'Job's worth' who said "No trade waste' and don't come back again. It took a bit of persuasion to get the stuff in the skips.

Now, if only I could have actually sold the stuff, for what I'd paid for it. There's a thought.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

d-jnana

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 05:51:42 pm »

My shed once had a floor,
not so sure now, it might still be therer burried under the scrap bits stacked neatly? every where. Don't know the answer either, we have the same problem at school with timber offcuts, or did till a collegue bought a wood burning stove. Perhaps thats the answer heat your workshop for free using your scrap wood!

Stavros

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 06:15:31 pm »

Know the feeling well just taken 4x boxes of said rubbish you know what I mean well some day it will come in handy BUT WHEN to the tip and still got 2 x boxes of  what i call BRUCE JUST IN CASE oops sorry Barty230 but I know what you like by now O0
We all keep this stuff but when push come to a shove we never use whats in the off cut box we all do it,you know what i am saying,cut it off the large sheet in the corner without a thought of whats in the box!!!!!!!!!!!

Stavros

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 10:26:13 pm »

Boxes???  Mine went out in trailer loads

This was my shop about 9 weeks ago after a partial clearout.

The storage shed was sorted as well.

I managed to salvage what I could and get it out of the wife's all spying eye.
I converted the bottom storage into a store room, and I can't find a thing.

The poor dog just doesn't know what has happened to many, many, many years of collected junk.

And you are worried about finding a bit of wood, I would like to find my workshop.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.