Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fish hooks - a new use!  (Read 1904 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Fish hooks - a new use!
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:01:38 pm »

Dear All,

Without going into long diatribe about why, I had to come up with a solution and after a bit of thought found it! I pass it on in case others might find it useful.

I needed a solution for 'hanging' aerial lines to the non permanently fixed ends, and a tidy one without any hanging loops: the answer... No.18 Long Point barbless fish hooks, chemical hardened, and black nickel so the colour and sheen is right to match as well! - using black horse hair and it matches perfectly. The make is Mustad, and a pack of ten is only 99p! All that's needed to make them safe is just snip the point off... fits over spars perfectly and look unobtrusive.

Hope this of use to someone.

Regards, Bernard

GaryM

Re: Fish hooks - a new use!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 07:06:03 pm »

Wow! dejarvou?
I was just looking at my Marie Felling and wondering how to secure the elastic lines to the hull etc.  Fish hooks brill idea.
(why do models have access ports and then block them with lines that are attached permanently)
Never even crossed my mind, thanks Bernard

regards
Gary :)

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 08:35:54 pm »

Bernard,

Another cracking idea. Try and post a picture of them in action if you can..

Barry

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 12:42:27 pm »

O0Nice one, while your at the the tackle shop you might ask them if they have any "LATCH HOOK BAIT THREADERS " they come in diffrent sizes the most handy ones being about the size of very small screw driver they look like a small crotch hook with a safety latch on it to keep it from snagging  when you pull it out.
A great tool for splicing rigging or reaching into awkward corners to pick up small wires or threads. When I showed mine to the lads in the club they went down and bought the shop out O0 :D
Jimmy (Freebooter)
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »

Dear All,

Thankyou for the sentiments.

To save three separate Posts I will do it all in one! :) I am pleased you found the idea interesting. It really does work, and the scale aspect looks good as well, furthermore, they do look like aerial end insulators, so they fit the bill nicely.

Jimmy, glad you think it a good idea, and thanks for the info. re the threaders - will ask for those when I pass there next time.

Gary, I would think they would do what you want them to do admirably, and would also look the part - & not look like fishhooks if done the right way. I was told that they can be bent if done slowly (a quick bend can snap them apparently), but a touch of heat will definitely stop any snap potential - though I am not sure what it would do to the finish - maybe nothing. However, I think just a gentle bending will be perfectly fine - they are certainly very strong and will last a life time, and I don't think they will rust.

Barry, glad you liked the idea. The trouble is with me and digital cameras is that they don't go to well together just at the moment. I have one yes (have had it for about 1.5 yrs. now! - only been out of it's box a couple of times!), but I don't quite have the time at the moment to get my head around it and the PC programme at present! (My busy time of the year - has been for the last two + months!). Ok, sounds an excuse, but it's not: I find sorting PC 'things' out very stressful... v.partic. if they don't go my way! - straight away! Anyway, as soon as I get a few hours that can be called 'spare', I do intend to get everything up and running - someone wants p.graphs of Belfast, and I really must get this blasted camera sorted out now.

Some gnrl. things re these fish hooks. With hanging aerial lines, I would suggest that one end be permanently fitted (though this need not really be the case - but one end must be 'pullable on'), then thread the eye of the hook with whatever line you are using, thread it from the top downwards (top of spar to bottom of spar - better finish), place the hook over the spar (so the line enters from the top), and then very gently tighten. Do not try and tie a not while it's like this (too stressful and leads to swearing! >>:-(), when you have it gently tight, lift the spare tying end up slightly (but not sufficient to make the hook move from the horizontal), and place a touch of as new as possible superglue underneath the eye. Hold until hardens... ok, bit of a nuisance this, but at the end of the day far better for stress levels! ;) :D When glue gone off, now tie a nice simple basic knot and, while holding the excess, keep the knot gently tight (this not necessary with cotton, but is with nylon or pony/horse hair and the like), and now place a touch of superglue to seal the knot/job. Right, this is a bog standard stuff for some, but for such as me I like to do a trial run or two first - saves lot's of bad language later! ::)

These hooks are so cheap that it doesn't matter if you wreck one or two in the trials process, but I can assure you that you will like the end result. They do do slightly smaller ones (No 20), but life becomes that much more interesting with threading!!! - and if you have to attach/detach while sailing your vessel for sailing, it makes it just a touch easier to have the larger ones. All down to personal choice and eyesight at the end of the day! - and the scale of your vessel as well obviously (they seem to do about six + sizes with these hooks).

When someone else has tried this out, maybe they would let us know what they think about the result.

Regards to All, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 02:16:52 pm »

Dear All,

I completed the six aerial lines between Foremast and Mainmast last night, and I am extremely pleased with the result. Cotton and similar does not allow too much give, but pony/horse hair will give about 1/4 inch so is perfect for me anyway (expandable elastic 'cotton' will obviously be very easy to work with). I applied three knots to the hair (s.glue appied to the first knot - and then glue after the other two had been done), to get the insulator effect - per plans/ills.. Since the expandable 'cotton' is porous, you will only need to do one glued knot. To be honest, after seeing the end result, I wish I had done the job with hooks both ends now, so might do the whole job again one Winter in the future!

Gary, I was thinking about your application while doing this work, and think te smaller hooks might be better for you.

Regards, Bernard

GaryM

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 09:50:11 am »

Thanks Bernard
I'm going hook hunting!

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.