Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mississippi or Missouri Springers  (Read 11142 times)

amdaylight

Mississippi or Missouri Springers
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:02:38 am »

Greetings Fellow Mayhemers,

I put before the group two different Springers each with two different variations. The first one is the Mississippi Springer numbers 1and 2 (stern wheeler), and then there is the Missouri Springer numbers 1 and 2 (side wheeler). The question is which one should I build as SWMBO will only let me do one.  >>:-( something about several other things going at the same time .... Any way I kind of like the Mississippi Springer the best. The problem with the Mississippi variations is that the mechanism to run the paddle wheel will be a pain to build with the pitman arms and every thing else. The Missouri Springers on the other hand will fairly easy to build mechanically using a chain drive. Of the two Missouri Springers I prefer the number 2 variation as the super structure is lower in relation to the paddle boxes and on it I prefer the 6-1/2" wide version better than the 8" wide version but I am worried that the 6-1/2" wide hull will be unstable (like the owner isn't)  So every one wade in and tell me what you think about the two designs and the variations.  :o {-)

Andre ::)  :)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mississippi or Missouri Springers
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:13:08 am »

I think we need a ruling from the Cttee whether overhanging drive systems are allowed outwith the 18" x 8". Nice idea though, and the Missouri turning circle could be useful for footie dribbling!

Surely you could build one hull, and two superstructures to get round your SWMBO's Dictat.

amdaylight

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:26:05 am »

Ha, O0 I had not thought of that, that why I threw this out there some would have other good ideas. As to the problem of the stern paddle, they said props and did not mention any thing about paddle wheels, besides I am going to build this one for fun not for competition. And I tried all kinds of things to get those #%@@* jpgs to sit on the page right but they still wanted to be 90 degrees from what they should have been. >>:-(.

Andre ;D ;)

mogogear

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:03:25 am »

NICE idea's..As I consider , not if I want to make a Springer, but what kind. To be "me" design and hopefully unique to me... the idea sketch pad fills up.... ::) ::) ::) ::)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 03:44:43 pm »

Rather than have the paddle 'outboard', try a design with the paddle (s) inboard of the 18x8"...

Something like...

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 06:58:48 pm »

Good thinking, toes = like those confederate iron (and rly sleeper) clads with the internal wheel whose housing shows above the main deck. Indeed, to get a clear run of water to the wheel, should she be a catamaran Springer, like the Carlotte Dundas. Now there's a challenge.

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 12:44:40 am »

I think your idea is a bootjack hull. Here's a photo of the Denver and basic drawing of the hull.

amdaylight

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:01:55 am »

Thanks, that is why I threw out there, that is a hull form that I was not aware of , that would certainly keep the length under the 18" max. It would also make the mechanics much simpler, just use a chain drive from Servo City.  O0

Andre

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 12:06:48 pm »

Here's another photo of the Denver

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 01:03:29 pm »

The inboard paddle system is on the African steamer "Lulonga".  It was featureded in Model Boats magazine Dec.1994 including plans. There is a copy for sale on eBay with about ten hours to go.  Item 120291335656.  Might be useful for ideas, drive system etc.
..well can you land on this?

amdaylight

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 07:17:18 am »

Well after some thought, (now I have a head ache) I think I will go with the Mississippi Spring #2. The boot jack boat that towboatjoe posted was neat but after doing some quick sketches it became apparent the the one thing that I was after, the paddle wheel was not visible. With it I might as well build a regular springer and stick a paddle wheel style house on it. After also looking at some photos from the Crawfish Festival last weekend and on this web site mine will fit right in with the one with the two Z drives, the extend hulls and the rest.

Andre O0 :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 08:56:38 am »

Morning Andre,

Is it possible to reconfigure 'Mississippi Spring #2' so that the paddles are 'let into the side' of the Springer
so that they are inside the 18" x 8" foot print?

just thinking out loud......
Martin  :)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 09:09:27 am »

That was the layout of the Lulonga mentioned above. The wheels will have to be near the stern I think.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 09:37:17 am »

Sorry, just looking back on the drawings, it's the first drawing very bottom (or top) but bring the paddles inboard
within the 8" limit.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 02:57:02 pm »

I think that was what Toesup`s idea was too. Come on somebody ...do a paddler Springer !

amdaylight

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 11:16:09 pm »

I will keep working on it, I have been thinking maybe make it a side wheeler and just let them free wheel and use a prop like a regular springer. I will keep pondering this for a while. ::)  :-\

Andre

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 11:24:29 pm »

Absolutely not. It would be like one of those horrible pub boats on the Thames which had a totally bogus stern wheel. YUK!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 11:39:43 pm »

...or chewing gum with your socks on or.....no thats wrong but you know what I mean. :-\ :embarrassed:

amdaylight

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 04:24:57 am »

I am coming up with a new idea - - - - THE PORTLAND SPRINGER O0 O0. The tow boat Portland has a paddle wheel that goes across the whole width of the stern kind of like the Mississippi Springer but has a completly different style house, a sketch is forth coming. ::)

Andre :D :)

ronkh

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 05:35:19 pm »

Dont know if these couple of photos will be of any use to you. Started it about 18 months ago then got stuck into couple of other boats, Y-class yachts. Must finish it but is very big and heavy. Will be putting drive bits on soon so if any help, will send on here.

mogogear

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 06:08:57 am »

I am coming up with a new idea - - - - THE PORTLAND SPRINGER O0 O0. The tow boat Portland has a paddle wheel that goes across the whole width of the stern kind of like the Mississippi Springer but has a completly different style house, a sketch is forth coming. ::)

Andre :D :)

"Stumptown Springer" :D

amdaylight

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 06:33:30 am »

I like it, I like it {-) O0
Andre

amdaylight

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 10:08:28 pm »

Well as promised here are my "Stumptown" springers  :D , these are based very loosely on the steam tow boat we haver here in Portland name appropriately "Portland". The name "Stumptown"  was given to Portland in the 1800's when there were stumps every where from the logging and tree removal so that you could build a city, well a town at that time. And since this is loosely, well very loosely based on the Portland the name suggested bu Mogogear "Stumptown" fits this project quite well and I liked it a whole lot. Thanks Mogogear. O0

Andre :) O0

amdaylight

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 10:15:28 pm »

Yea . .  O0 . . I got the drawings so they sit right on the forum. And if any one is interested I like the top one  O0 better that the lower one due to the fact that the supper structure is a little longer and looks better to my eye but the wheel hangs out just a little bit  :(. The lower one the wheel is flush with the stern  :) but I don't like the way it looks over all  >:( . So I think I will build the first one  O0.

Andre :)

mogogear

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 06:35:02 pm »

Portland will be proud--You will have to put her in the water near the full size tug and get a "sisters" shot - that would be pretty cool! Ok - get to building!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.