Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IOM materials and suppliers question  (Read 6586 times)

andrewa

IOM materials and suppliers question
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:31:17 am »

Hi,

Having just finished the hull planking on my first IOM yacht I am thinking about what I need to finish the build and two items still need to be resolved:

1> Bow Bumper

I was going to carve a plug and make a plaster mold then cast my own bumper (so I can make multiples). What is a good material to use for the casting? How do I colour it? Where can I buy it from? How do I attach it to my hull?

2> Deck Patches

What material is used to make the covers for the various holes in the deck, how does it attach and where can it be bought from?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

pasty

Re: IOM materials and suppliers question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:58:48 am »

First of all as this is my first post on this forum, hello to all of you and congratulations on a great informative forum. Have much admired some of the builds i have seen.

As to Andy's question, i am also involved in RC yacht racing including the iom and RM class.
   Tried the exact same method as you for making my own bumpers using pollyfilla as a mould. After days waiting the result wasn't brilliant. Used bathroom sealant amd made sure all the air is out before putting it into the airing cupboard.
   There are suppliers that sell bumpers, especailly if you built their own design.
   What design is it?
   I might be able to tell you the supplier of a compatible bumper.
   Kbits does a bumper that is sandable to your desired shape, as long as it ends up 13mm thick according to the rules. You stick it onto the boat then carefully blend into the hull shape.

As to deck patches, the really only real option if don't want to see your boat go to the bottom is self adhesive dacron. It is available in many colours, well proven and used by us that sail in all conditions. The stuff you but in DIY stores will go brittle and tear easily. Just make sure the area is clean and grease free and you will have a covering that will last for years if not removed. It can also be removed and reapplied, useful for airing out the boat after a days sail.

Just google the following names and have a look at their catalogues,

Kbits
    Sailsetc
    PJsails
    Nylet

There is also Housemartinsails and bgrcyachting, not sure if they sell the bits you require. But they do make goods sails and rigs.

Or to make it easier, click on this http://www.leicestershireradioyachtclub.co.uk/links.html.
    Its our clubs website and has the most popular suppliers (just click on their names).

Hope it is some use. Any more questions just ask away.
    Craig.

( ps, are you going to race it ?)

andrewa

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:16:29 pm »

Thanks for that Craig.

Im building a Nimbus 3 (still think it sounds like a broomstick from Harry Potter) and Sailsetc sell a premade bumper. I just wanted to have a go at making my own as this is my first boat and Im bound to hit lots of things and may get through quite a few bumpers :)

Top tip on the deck patches.

Thanks,
Andy

pasty

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:45:06 pm »

Forgot another option for bumpers, cheap pair of Flipflops ( new preferably ). Quite sure i have heard of people using them.
 Think you should be able to carve and sand it to shape. You will be able to make quite a few bumpers with them.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:27:20 pm »

If you have built a Nimbus, get a Bantock bumper for it. They don't come off that easily, use silicon or better still secoflex to glue them on, held in place with masking tape untill the silicon goes off, trouble with secoflex is the price, but silicon works very well. If you want to make your own, glue a piece of balsa on the bow, sand it to shape, use that as the mould in some plaster of paris. I used that method for Mini 40 multihulls and sold them to other owners.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 06:35:38 pm »

Hi All,
You can also use mousemats, Large pencil rubbers. Deck patches Fablon from Wilkinson's or self stick sola trim from model aircraft shops.

Destroyer42
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.