Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Seaport morphs to Lady Jo  (Read 23787 times)

Damien

Seaport morphs to Lady Jo
« on: August 12, 2008, 01:32:10 pm »

Finally took some pic's of the rebuild so far, as stated elsewhere I decided to base the build loosely on the Queensland Tug "Lorraine" in 1/26 th.
First I raised the coaming to restrick water ingress from under the superstructure.

With the nifty clamp extensions i made the cabin structure went together easily.

The walk way behind the cabin had to be extended after i received the sailors i'd ordered from Redbank Models, extension seen in this pic.

This was my first attempt using styrene it was a learning curve &  my junk box has lots of styrene bits in it, the next few pic's are of the cabin with bridge waiting on detail and dimensions from Brian  "chingdevil" the pic's he posted in my post requesting bridge detail pic's suit as i had decidedon a wooden ships wheel.

I liked the look of the stabilisers in 6705russell's thread so added similar to my tug.

I'll continue with the bridge using Brian's pics, i'll change it if the dimensions Brian provides prove i was wrong lol

Damien

Re: Seaport morphs to Lady Jo
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:02:36 am »

Using the pic's posted by Brian, i made 4 items of furnitutre
1/ the helm & control panel .
2/ Power board/computer desk.
3/ Drawers for books charts etc (with chart on top)
4/ Storage drawers/seat (real leather seat cover)
Using PhotoBase 3, I cut & pasted parts of Brian's pic's to get control panel & Power board details & the radar ? plus depth sounder ? screens, the computer is a photo of my own, with  MS Publisher i shrank them to appropriate scale size.
Slow progress but 30 mins is all i get looking down before blurred/double vision sets in.
Here's some pic's
The 4 units

The next few are the units in place in the yet to be painted bridge.

I'm still trying to work out how to glue the window glasing in, nothing i've tried will stick to the clear sheet i'm hoping to avoid messy contact glues.
I've tried Plasti-weld, CA's,  epoxy, plumbers PVC pipe glue, any clues appreciated.
Damien.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:11:18 am »

RC Modelers glue - it seems to be a type of PVA that sticks well and dries clear

andrew

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:24:21 am »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Damien

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:05:22 pm »

Andrew & Richard thanks for the info ontracks takes paypal so i'll order some in a couple of weeks, we are going 1200km for our sons wedding on Oct 5th leaving this thursday the 2nd, home on the 7th or 8th.
Damien.

bigford

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:30:43 pm »

what no coffee pot :D  looking good O0

Damien

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 12:21:54 pm »

Never thought of coffee machine in the bridge. Thought the Capt'n would have a thermos with his lunch or a galley for ocean going tugs.

Weeds

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 04:01:57 am »

Never thought of coffee machine in the bridge. Thought the Capt'n would have a thermos with his lunch or a galley for ocean going tugs.

Are you thinking about adding LED lights to you seaport tug?

Damien

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 12:22:30 pm »

Weeds, i'll definately add Led's I have several thousand 3mm Leds on hand that i sell on ebay.au, I plan on port/starboard lights deck, cabin/bridge and mast lights.
Damien

Weeds

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 04:23:09 am »

Weeds, i'll definately add Led's I have several thousand 3mm Leds on hand that i sell on ebay.au, I plan on port/starboard lights deck, cabin/bridge and mast lights.
Damien

Someone shared this through youtube; it's a good lights and coloring guide for the Dickie, don't you think? The port/starboard lights deck, cabin/bridge and mast lights you mentioned are all there.

Damien

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 03:40:49 am »

Weeda, sorry for the delay i've been across country to central coast NSW for my son's wedding for the past week, home now exhausted 14 hours by car.
That pic looks great will definately work on a Seaport tug, the yellow looks good i'll have to order them i don't currently stock them,
I currently stock 3mm super bright whites, red/blue flashing and red/green bi-polar for the model train enthusiasts.
Damien

Damien

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 11:26:26 am »

Two pic's of brass stanchions, railings & ladder

Next is running lights, mast lights & deck lighting.

TugCowboy

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 01:09:52 pm »

She's looking good Damien! love the railings there.

Alex

Damien

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 02:15:20 am »

Thanks Alex

Damien

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 01:41:55 am »

Weeds, in your twilight pic are the light white & look orange in the pic or are the orange for night vision ?
I'm working on light fixtures with 3mm Led's and would like to get them right first time.
Another Q. What is used on floors in the bridge on modern Tug's, is it checker plate, Lino ,Timber  or what please ? At the moment i have appropriate scale timber flooring printed & cut to shape.
Look forward to any and all replies.
Damien.

Damien

Lady Jo to be Deep Dive Support vessel
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 12:28:09 pm »

I have a notion to use my Lady Jo, Seaport as a Deep  Dive Support vessel using a crane to lift a submersible off the deck.
I got the idea while eating a small plum pudding, the plastic container looks perfect for the base section.
it is 75mm at the top and 55mm deep i have some clear acetate sheet to mould a lid with.
Pic of pudding tub. It should look great with 2 thrusters and various Air tanks grabbers etc.

As my Seaport came as Hull and Deck only does anyone with a paypal account ( so I can pay outside Aust ) have a crane from a seaport they would like to sell me and post to Australia Pretty Please......
Or suggest where i might buy one.Damien

craftysod

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 01:54:38 pm »

With the work your putting in,the original crane would look to toyish,a proper model crane would look better.
Nice build,chucked my crane in bin sorry
Mark

Damien

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 12:05:41 pm »

Basic paint complete, Hull in Enamel, deck and superstructure in Auto Acrylic (because i had it left over from race car build), just waiting on 6mm masking tape bought on ebay to put the stripes on the living quarters.

Roof & mast sitting in place.
The Bulwark locate & screw posts need reamingto remove several layers of paint to let them fit.

Also made a start on the Submersible made a GRP Plug to mould 1mm styrene & Acetate to make the 2 halves,
ready for trimming.

Do any of you talented folks have pic's or know of plans of ships hydraulic cranes Please?

craftysod, no probs, can't get a crane ay any shops in Aust. i'll email Float a boat but none in online cattledog.
Thanks for the comment.
I showed Jo (wife) a sample of the name decal "Lady Jo" in sweet big time she thrilled to bits.

Damien.

Damien

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 06:15:01 am »

I Googled ships cranes and found telescopic boom cranes by Noreq & Jo Mac among others that look easy enough to model in 1/30 scale.
My head is swirling with ideas for the mini sub, i found my ancient heat shrink gun  (30yo) from past model glider hobby is not hot enough to soften styrene enough to mould there's a few paint strip heat guns on ebay cheap enough. but with Christmas upon us I doubt one could arrive before new year.
Problem solved my neighbour gave us a ride to the Kmart store & i got a 2000W heat gun.

After researching Kort nozzles on the net, i found the Seaport nozzle shap could be improved the leading edge being 2mm thick was shaved to an airfoil like shape with a Dremel & sanding drum, this will remove drag & improve flow characteristics into the Kort, i've done considerable work with airfoil shapes for race car & model aircraft which came in handy.
pic shows shape.

This pic also of Kort plus the plug for thr mini-sub trimmed to size.

mor pics as i start the mouldin trials soon.
Damien.

Damien

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 08:54:12 am »

Looking at the typo's in the last post perhaps i should have had a rest instead of traipsing all over a large shopping centre for a heat gun, my feet & knees feel like they're on fire.
Then after dinner ran to the shed (well ok a faster than usual waddle) eager to try moulding with plug & styrene.
the pic shows a promising first try just need a few more hands  and to decure the styrene more firmly.
Method was 1/ To fix the 1mm styrene over a hole 2mm larger than the plug cut in some 5/16 plywood, 2/ Heat the styrene to a floppy jelly state. 3/ Quickly plunge the plug through styrene and hole in plywood 4/ remove plug from styrene 5/ remove styrene from plywood & 6/ admire first efforts.  7/ Tell self next one WILL BE BETTER.

Anyone with tips on a better way to do this please speak up, I used this method years ago for moulding aircraft canopies in acetate, first try in 30 years and first with styrene, so i'm happy with it.
Damien.

hama

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 02:17:55 pm »

Know absolutely nothing about styrene moulding, just wanted to drop in and say that I think your boat looks fantastic. And that kort looks ten times better than the original, well done! As for the crane, I have one and would gladly give it to you for free if it wasn't that I live on the other side of the globe and seeing your building skills I think you will produce a much better one yourself. Good luck, and keep up the good work!
Hama.

Damien

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

hama, Thanks for the kind words I have decided on a crane to model.
This is it,  i'll use round styrene tube only because rectangle is not available, making the boom and the hydraulic ram movable.

Damien.

tugs46

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 03:29:41 pm »

Very ingenious!!
She's going to be awesome!!

Well Done!!

...Best Wishes for the Holiday Season!!!...
...Cheers...

Mike

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 05:09:13 pm »

Great work! I really like the wheelhouse interior detailing.

Damien

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 12:12:04 pm »

Thanks guys I try to be a bit different with my hobbies,
Pic,  Wheel house/cabin masked ready for stripes to be sprayed tomorrow.
Got a little heavy handed applying the masking a split one of the welded seams about 20mm long did you heare me curse at 2030hrs aussie EDT Chrissy day.

The blue under the masking is a 6mm plastic masking tape that i bought along with 3mm mask tape, from a motor bike shop with an ebay store. Not sheap at $23 for one of each with postage but they weren't available in Melbourne, bike shop was in QLD. Excellent product though.

Damien.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.