Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Seaport morphs to Lady Jo  (Read 23790 times)

Damien

Re: Seaport morphs to Lady Jo
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 12:08:42 pm »

All paint now complete,

Glazing is cut, floor coverings ready for laying.

PC board strips  on the inside of the crew quarters for +ve and _ve conections of the Deck, Wheelhouse, Mast and rear Deck lights (Led's)
bit messy but who's gunna look at the ceiling of the crew quarters.

Damien

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 09:19:31 pm »

i'll use round styrene tube only because rectangle is not available, making the boom and the hydraulic ram movable.

Damien.

See here (others sources available):

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Store/Craft-Materials/Plastruct

HTH

doug
Don't Assume Check

Damien

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 10:41:24 pm »

Thanks for the link Doug, unfortunately the site states they take all major credit cards and i don't use credit, i'll email them and ask if they'll take an international money order, they cost $10AUD though, a bit high for 2 lengths of plastruct me thinks.
Damien.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 11:00:02 pm »

Hi all.......Damian ..if you are in OZ [Australia].........Plasticard/Plastistrut...is available at most Hobby Shops in all States.............Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Damien

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 12:17:45 am »

Hi Derek, I got what i could at Hearns Hobbies in Melbourne been a customer of theirs 45yrs only had a quarter of the range in stock & said it was very slow moving  the had Plastruct & Ever green. From what i've found the rectangle sizes are not a slide fit within each other like the round section stock though.

Damien.

Damien

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 12:51:16 pm »

Sometimes i surprise myself with flashes of brilliance, walking through a shopping center the answer to the clear moulding for my minisub came to me, 2 cut down plastic wine glasses. Jo my other half said buy 3 incase you stuff one lol smart Gal, first thing i did when home was to test styrene glue and plastic weld, both work fine. 

trimmed off at the 4 black marks the joined will form the basis for the sub.

The stern on left will be trimmed close and drilled in centre for prop shaft, I have a 30mm 3 blade prop that will do for drive prow will be trimmed longer and tapered for nose. Rudder and diving planes will be styrene sheet.
I'll alter my standing 1/25th sailor to sitting position for sub crew.

Thoughts and suggestions most welcome.
Damien.

Damien

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 11:43:56 am »

Got some quality time in shed today, Dremel, flex shaft and a Diamond cutoff wheel and i went to work.
The result a capsule measuring 155mmtip to tip of prop and a Diameter of 75mm
pic 1

40mm 3 blade looks ok for size. I should get 2 sailors side by side inside
pic 2

pic 3

Shows the off cuts of the wine glasses, seeing them i thought Wow they'd make cheap Kort nozzles for 65mm props, dimensions are Tapered inner dia 67 & 70mm max outer dia 77.6 Length 40mm. The trailing edge of the nozzle would need trimming the reduce the blunt 5mm flat edge causing turbulence and slowing water flow.

More pic's soon.

Damien.

Damien

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 05:17:30 am »

The name decals were applied yesterday no grog in the house so i sprinkled some water on the bow.a series of picks with details added Ladder, port holes, furniture added to wheel house.

Damien

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 11:20:53 am »

After 6 months doing other thing i got back to the Seaport, finished the wiring of the cabin mast and deck lights.
I fitted motor, kort, ballast and tried the radio all sitting in my test tank.
I was called away and got back to it 24hrs later, there was enough water to just wet the bottom of the motor can subsequent checks found water dripping from the  prop shaft, using a tip from earlier posts i chucked the outer shaft in my cordless drill and easily removed it  from the hull.
I had a 4mm shaft and outer on hand and it was easy to shorten it and swap the bearing over, i bought a 45mm 3 blade prop on ebay for a ggod price once it arrives i'll centre the prop in the kort and bog the shaft in place and try again.

Damien.

andygh

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 08:11:07 am »

This is the best conversion I've seen, I'm tempted to buy one now O0

hollowhornbear

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 11:34:55 am »

hope the mini sub won't be painted yellow, it'll look lke a manned lemon.  :} :} %% seriously though excellent idea. I like it and it has me thinking.

Damien

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 06:51:35 am »

Definately not yellow  lol

The submersible need a crew and i had some 0-gauge figures, the females were some what shorter than the men who were all in overcoats, not appropriate for crew nor sightseers so with the help of my dremel some auto putty and weld it glue i did some gender re-assignment and plastic surgery to get the shapes i need in this pic. Only one on the left is the only one to remain intact arms and legs changed and chest alterations to make men.

Damien

ralphhager

• Ralph1937
  • Shipmate
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2009, 08:14:20 pm »

Hi Damiem:
Reply #34 by andygh I agree this is a very good build.  :-))  But what about showing us a couple of pictures of the new shaft and 45mm prop? %)

Damien

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2009, 05:26:28 am »

Ok ralph i'll take some pic's tomorrow rather weary after 5 hours to and from the lake today.

Damien.

Damien

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 04:50:40 am »

As requested Ralph 3 pic's of the new shaft and prop.

Not much to see on the inside just lots of auto body filler.

A dremel with diamond burr easily opened up the opening to allow the larger diameter prop tube.

I left the motor/shaft in the same position even though the prop isn't central in the Kort nozzle as was the original but changeing would put the motor/shaft out of alignment.

Damien

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 12:27:37 pm »

The last few weeks i've been stewing over how to do the rudder/diving planes, numerous times to i tried to build a fin above and below the prop and gave up in frustration i had planned the dive planes horizontal to the rudder double trouble, I  gave up and thought about it for a few weeks finally decided on a kort for rudder with forward mounted dive planes, (the kort was cut from a used liquid nails cartridge) as the pic shows a good fit for a 35mm prop.
Dosen't matter whether it would work or not it is My Fantasy build. lol 
A few pic's

The hatch will be the top 8mm of a Berocca vitamin tin, cut at the black line on the tin it's a good fit to the access hole in the top of the sub i've removed the logo of  the lid, thinking on what to use for the hatch lock screw next.

Tomorrow i'll fit the instrument cluster & a joystick for sub control.

Damien.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 06:19:27 pm »

Looking good!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Damien

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 11:01:26 am »

Sub progressing the Captain, passengers, dash and control joystick added two halves joined.
Braces were needed for the kort arms as one broke off, next was the hatch ring epoxied in place I found a small metal button just the right size for the hatch lock down screw handle. ? Oxygen and hydrogen bottles  were then added for the propulsion engine and air mix bottles for the folks on board to breath it is now masked ready to paint tomorrow hopefully.
4 more pic's.

Damien.

Damien

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 10:56:35 am »

Almost done just 2 attachment points for attaching the crane cable to lift it on and off the deck,
3 more pic's.

The gas bottles colour codes are
Black with white ends = Oxygen
1/2 black 1/2 red      = Hydrogen
Black with green end  = Air

Damien

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2009, 07:59:10 am »

Work crane to lift Sub on and off deck.
1 Berocca vitamin can , 2 plastic lids, various round 1/2 round and flat styrene, and a crane is made.
First pic is parts so far.

this pic is the crane so far working on motor and winch

Damien

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 06:05:58 am »

time to finalize the ballast and finish the wiring.
She's a tad top heavy and bobs around in the test tank, but stays relatively upright with a 80psi blast from my air duster at 1 metre from cabin i also tipped her over until the bullwark was under water and she popped upright ok.
2 pic's

Damien

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2009, 05:31:56 am »

I just had to do a test float on the Sub lol

The pic is a little fuzzy but it's now screwed to the deck so another pic isn't possible.

Hmmmm seems it has a little too much positive boyancy.

Damien

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 10:04:00 am »

My undersea explorer is now ready for the lake, i've taken some pic's in my darkened lounge room to show the lights, our club holds a couple of friday night sail events throughout the year but it's not safe to travel on Melbournes public transport at night so i'll stick to sundays.

Damien.

Davenotdone

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2010, 04:31:05 pm »

Hi! like the look of your conversion but please be wary of just adding a larger prop. I have recently done a conversion myself on the same tug and put in a larger shaft and prop.Off to the local lake i went and after running for approx 45mins i checked the inside for leaks etc. As soon as i removed the upper wheel house you could smell the motor and it was too hot to touch!!! Allso, you might notice on the original motor that the heat sink unfortunately covers up the motor cooling slots and the engine mount at the front has no slots in it making the motor run hot. It may be ok spinning the original prop but seems to struggle with anything bigger. I took my motor out, cut slots in both the engine mount and the heat sink. On my second run of the tug the motor still ran hot and i am now in the process of fitting a larger motor.

Damien

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 09:06:21 am »

The prop should be ok it's only 3mm bigger hardly notice the difference in the kort nozzle, i've done some amps testing in the test tank and the current draw is not excessive. the only problem power wise is the flood lights on the rear deck i wired 2 sets of 2 led's in series they require 7.2v when the 9.6v battery starts to drop off these leds go out not a problen as  i'll never be night sailing.

Damien.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.