Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rainbow J-Class Yacht Build  (Read 8898 times)

ronkh

Rainbow J-Class Yacht Build
« on: August 14, 2008, 03:31:10 pm »

A space in the lounge that I managed to find. Wifes comment was, "That's very nice, last one is it?"
Took the hint and am now putting them up in my garage, where a few more are under way!! (Last one my b#tt) O0
Some more photos furthet down this page. None from when I started as didn't find this site until almost completed yacht, and didn't think to photo from when I started.
Next one will do and that will be the Rainbow.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Rainbow J-Class Yacht Build
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 08:31:47 pm »

Nice work Ron.

Will she be getting her bottom wet, or is she a static model?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

ronkh

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:26:58 am »

Afraid this one will be static. Hopefully soon should be getting a tug (my first) which will be wet, but I am not sure what one to get though have got plans somewhere for one which is scratch built, Frederic Mistral. If I do this - scratch build -  then I should think that I will be on here quite a bit for advice!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:20:26 am »

Hi Ron

Consider doing a build log. This way others can enjoy following your build and you will be able to get advice as you go.

Best regards
Mark

ronkh

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 11:26:50 am »

Taken on-board. Have already started log on next model. Download soon.

Ron.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:09:23 pm »

Taken on-board. Have already started log on next model. Download soon.

Ron.

Brilliant

ronkh

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 08:56:26 pm »

As promised, have now started to keep a record of my builds. From a kit, the Rainbow. Lovely parts included with kit, made from brass and, for a change, some decent white meyal fittings. Have not had to file down much at all. This lot are taken of the first planking and second will be in mahogany - .5 x 3 m/m. She is only going to be a static display to go with my Britannia and I hope to eventually, I hope to get as many of thr J-Class yachts as possible.

Ron.

ronkh

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 01:48:12 pm »

Been a while since updated but truth be known, I simply forgot. I had been keeping photos and a log of sorts but with me, when I start building I tend to carry on and don't think about putting any of the progress on here! I have also been making a few other models in between and other stuff, more of another time.
I now thought that this would be the best time to upload the build so far, especially as I have been of work for over a week due to falling a##e over top down the stairs and doing my right arm in (which was rather painful as 16 stone of blubber was enough to make me say "Oooh, that hurt")!!
The yacht is a kit of the Rainbow J-class - static - and if I am happy with the results, I will then attempt an R/C yacht. Needless to say, I will be on here for tips and pointers in the right direction when I start that project, but it will not be straight away or for quite a while.
The build so far has involved a plank on frame - out of lime wood - and a final layer of mahogany and the kit - from Amati and to a scale of 1:80 500 long x 90 wide x 685 height was supplied with Italin instructions and, thankfully, a very well translated set as well, though I did have to get some translations from some Italians who work at my place.
The majority of the parts were in brass, both turned and brass etched, and some quite clean white metal fittings, which were very well made though the wood was altogether a different story. Decking was only enough to cover half the deck while the hull planking had plenty to spare! This was just as well as there were some rather shoddy planks supplied. Sails were supplied and it said that for best results, to dip them in a half and half solution of white glue and water, cut, sew, iron and then thread rope through. Have yet to try that (!) but I will have to do this fairly soon as I can then make a start on the final rigging.
I decided to varnish the hull instead of painting (which should be a white top and a mahogany colour under the waterline, with a red stripe for the waterline) and also wanted to keep all the brass bits and bobs as such.
Anyway, here is the rest of the build so far and any comments - good or bad - appreciated.

ronkh

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 01:55:36 pm »

Some photos. Unfortunately, some of the photos form part way through planking, were of very poor quality to post so left them out.

ronkh

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 01:59:52 pm »

More pics. Have yet to attach the rudder.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 02:03:49 pm »

Beautiful workmanship Ron..... don't fancy a go at my Bismarck hull do you?  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ronkh

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 02:06:17 pm »

Some more. This time with rudder on.

ronkh

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 02:08:21 pm »

Beautiful workmanship Ron..... don't fancy a go at my Bismarck hull do you?  O0
Not if I have to pay for it and the rest of the magazines Martin!! Have been following your build to a degree. Glad you like the yacht. Cheers.
PS. Who won that picture caption of you? The one that looked like bird-droppings on your head???

ronkh

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 02:22:35 pm »

The main mast was constructed out of 10 pieces of wood, which then had to be shaped by hand and seemed to take forever. The boom was out of 1 piece and I think the shape is called a "Broadwalk boom". So called because two people could walk past each other! (Only what I have learned)! Could be wrong.
If anyone comes up with suggestions as to the sails, I would really appreciate ideas as I am not sure if the glue method is correct.
I'm afraid thats it for now as it's really painful to carry on with the yacht. Bad enough typing. (Its also extremely frustrating as I have a few weeks off for my arm to get [a bit] better and can I look but I can't' touch - yet)!!

Ron.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 02:43:44 pm »

Stunning.

O0

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 02:45:32 pm »

PS. Who won that picture caption of you? The one that looked like bird-droppings on your head???
.... yes, I better sort that out hadn't I  :P 
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ronkh

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 03:01:47 pm »

Will send you my address. O0 {-) :D ::)

ronkh

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 03:59:33 pm »

Meant to put in earlier that the dark line, hopefully, represents the waterline. Have not got it 100% but I think as near as d##n it.

Ron.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 08:21:10 pm »

Topic renamed on request.
Martin

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

Hello,

The triangular Boom was called a "Park Avenue Boom " it was 4 feet wide at its widest point.
Two men could walk abreast down its entire length, hence its name !.

Flush with the top of the Boom were metal tracks, set  18 inches apart, to hold the Foot of the sail to the required curve.
The curve was set by fitting stop pins into the tracks, to set the curve to suit the prevailing wind.
In addition to its aerodynamic efficiency, the width of the Boom when going to windward, stopped the downdraft of the wind, or end spill as its called,
Very similar to the Wing tips on modern airliners !.

Owners used to have tables and chairs set on the Boom and drink Champagne !!!

John.  O0
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

ronkh

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 11:03:47 am »

Cheers John,

Knew it was named after some street (avenue), in the states.
elf n safety would of had a field day :D >>:-(

Ron.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 10:18:10 pm »

Great effort Ron, wish mine was going to be that good! I am building a 48" J which will get wet often but I would still like it to have at least a semi-scale resemblance to one of the "real" J's. Were the plans in the kit good enough to get dimensions of cabins, skylights etc and to work out where to put the wheel, winches etc? If so I will see if the NZ agent can get me a set or I might even look at buying the kit so I have a nice display boat as well. Thanks, Ian.

ronkh

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 04:26:24 pm »

Great effort Ron, wish mine was going to be that good! I am building a 48" J which will get wet often but I would still like it to have at least a semi-scale resemblance to one of the "real" J's. Were the plans in the kit good enough to get dimensions of cabins, skylights etc and to work out where to put the wheel, winches etc? If so I will see if the NZ agent can get me a set or I might even look at buying the kit so I have a nice display boat as well. Thanks, Ian.
Ian,

Plans were very good. Unfortunately, as for dimensions, the cabins were laser-cut but if you do get the kit, I am sure you would work out what you need for the 48" J.
Don't forget though that I had a couple of problems with the wood. I relied on the plans to situate the wheel etc.
Can we see pictures of your build please?
Best of luck.

Ron.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 08:54:46 pm »

Thanks for that. I bought a hull and the cast lead keel from the Christchurch Model Yacht Club who race them as a class and supply details of mast position, rig and sail sizes etc plus basic build instructions which should be enough for a builder with a little experience. I have managed to do O K so far and have got gunwales and deck beams in place plus the keel and rudder. As they just use a flush deck with a pot for radio gear they do not provide deck details and although there are a few photos of various J's on the net it is proving a little difficult to pin down cabin dimensions and position etc. I am not worried about being 100% accurate, more looking at just a semi-scale replica which might combine features of more than one J. I have had some good ideas from the forum on sealing a hatch which is flush with the deck surface and am just incorporating those now. I think I have figured the winch installation so all the workings will be under the deck. Will take some photos before I put the deck on and post them as a new post. Cheers, Ian.

ronkh

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 01:28:39 pm »

Ian,

Have taken some photos of the plans. I could not copy them as my scanner is up the shoot, but hopefully they will give you an indication of where things go.
I checked the positioning against a couple of real pictures of the Rainbow, and they are fairly accurate as far as can be for a model.
The blacks marks on the hull represent 25m/m

Ron.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.