Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: boat transport case  (Read 15961 times)

dan

boat transport case
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:11:20 pm »

hi guys,
i was thinking about making a wooden transpost case for my frigate, so i was wondering if anyone else has made one and if they could share some ideas with me. i need to make it strong because it is going to be a rather heavy boat, and i need it so i can easily get the boat in and out of it, and ideally i need it to be made so i can carry it as well, so any ideas guys?

many thanks,

Dan

barryfoote

Re: boat transport case
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:21:28 am »

Dan,

I have made several, both for transportation and storage. They need to be be strong but yu don't need to go mad about it. Mine all have doors, either single and hinged at the bottom or double and hinged at the sides. It largely depends on the size you are going to need. What size and approximate weight is the boat you will be putting in it?

I could then post a couple of photos of 3 of mine if you wish, together with more advise.

Barry

Philipsparker

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:12:26 am »

dan

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:41:40 pm »

thaks guys,

barry - the boat is a model of HMS campbeltown, it is roughly 5 foot long and im not sure what weight it will be over all but i know its not going to be light   ::), if you could share those photos with me that would be a great help,

and thanks phil those pictures are a great help thanks.

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 03:46:48 pm »

Dan,

Leave it with me and I will take a few piccies for you.

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 04:28:56 pm »

Okay done. Photos are attached. First two show the case for my Lady T, a steam tug of 37 inches long. The second two are the case for my Talacre, which is over 20 years old. The third two, are for my HMS Blandford, which is obviously an unfinished three masted 20 gunner from 1719. The first two cases were finished with varnish, but the third as it is purely for storage was left un finished.

All were cheap to produce, the latest one cosing a little over a tenner all in.

If you need to use the case to carry the model, ensure that it is made from a strong wood, thick enough to take its weight, when being carried. Also make sure you have a good solid carrying handle. The front and rear panels can be made of much thinner material, like ply as it is not load bearing. An internal frame is not necessary if you use a good strong wood.

If I can be of any more help.....Just ask.

Sorry about a couple of the photos, but they do give you an idea.

Barry

dan

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 05:28:31 pm »

thanks for going to all the effort Barry, much appreciated O0

Dan

Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 07:39:21 pm »

Footski, Your boxes are nice pieces of furniture rather than mere transport boxes. Have you considered  having interchangable glass doors to make them showcases?

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:59:58 pm »

Now there is a thought. It had never struck me, but when we move, I will have more room so may well go down that path. Thanks for the idea.

Barry

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 06:23:33 pm »

Yonks ago (early 1980s) I had the same problem with "Recorder". 7' long and weighed a ton. Only place I could carry it was on a car roof rack. So I built a "coffin" out of light and cheap 1/4" ply. The main structure was 1" aluminium angle pop rivetted to the ply. Not much weight at all, and lasted many years including trips from "up here" to "down there". BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

dan

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 07:31:43 pm »

thats a idea thanks bryan. where did u get your aluminium from and how did you connect all the sides together was it ply inside the aluminium?

cheers, dan

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 09:09:45 pm »

Just think about it. Imagine building an aquarium. But with wood and not glass. The ally angle is available in all my local shops/main suppliers and so on. Shouldn't be a problem. If your cornering isn't up to scratch you can always put another bit of angle on the inside. Get the "long" shank pop rivets, and use washers on both sides. This prevents crushing the ply and gives a good grip.
I polished my ally angle, and varnished the wood. Looked great. Up to you where you want access, but mine was a lid on the top and held down with "over-centre" catches.. Not difficult nor too expensive, and although strong, quite light. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

dan

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:14:27 pm »

o right, thanks for the help bryan  O0

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 09:45:04 pm »

Dan,
With the boat in the box how are you going to transport it ?
on a roof rack or inside a car

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 09:55:59 pm »

Was in B&Q depot to day to pick up some strip wood, they have a large selection of ally forms including angle.

Look for the aisle marked chain and rod.

Yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 10:03:03 pm »

The problem is I need a transport case like the tardis.....

I have a 63" long paddler, and if I remove the funnel and bridge I can just squeeze it into my Volvo S80 saloon with the rear seat down - If it was just 1" taller it wouldn't fit, so a carrying case would be too large.....

Anyone know of a source for TARDIS cases?  {-)

Eddy

dan

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 10:23:06 pm »

hi guys,

ill be transporting it inside the car as we dont have a roof rack. and thanks for the info colin ill go and have alook in my local B&Q asap.
and im pritty sure i would fill up a tardis with all the stuff i travel with    ::)

cheers dan

Proteus

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 10:56:20 pm »

I have been looking at this sort of thing, depends on how much you want to spend

http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=2828-2575

Proteus

dan

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 11:03:28 pm »

its very tempting but i don't fink its big enough an it has go a rather large price tag, but thanks for the info thought O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 11:21:00 pm »

The problem is I need a transport case like the tardis.....

I have a 63" long paddler, and if I remove the funnel and bridge I can just squeeze it into my Volvo S80 saloon with the rear seat down - If it was just 1" taller it wouldn't fit, so a carrying case would be too large.....

Anyone know of a source for TARDIS cases?  {-)

Eddy

There is a nice man working down at Iveco
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 11:32:55 pm »

I built a perspex fronted case for my Model Slipway Sentinel, photo attached. The front is held in place by 4 magnetic catches. The big box underneath holds my Artesania Amsterdam.

Peter.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 10:56:20 am »

A great advantage of the perspex front is that the kids (of all ages) can look and see but cannot touch.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Damien

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 12:53:08 pm »

I have been looking at this sort of thing, depends on how much you want to spend

http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=2828-2575

Proteus
Having worked in the electronics side of the music industry I can tell you these cases are extremely heavy EMPTY, though they would protect your models.
Damien

Aydemir

Hello Eddy About Oheka II
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 06:23:26 pm »

Hello Eddy Please if you have some info, plan, etc for Oheka II . I want to study for make one. I find some articles and drawings
but if you have some more pictures  or other info Thank you very much and regards. Aydemir.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 01:14:07 am »

hi guys,
i was thinking about making a wooden transpost case for my frigate, so I was wondering if anyone else has made one and if they could share some ideas with me. i need to make it strong because it is going to be a rather heavy boat, and i need it so i can easily get the boat in and out of it, and ideally i need it to be made so i can carry it as well, so any ideas guys?

many thanks,

Dan

how big is the boat ?

I cut down a helicopter case
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.