Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: London Model Shop  (Read 6791 times)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
London Model Shop
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:16:36 pm »

I was out for a lunchtime walk, when i stumbled across this little gem of a shop tucked away under a railway arch. They stock lots of useful building materials. Their address is:
4D modelshop Ltd
         The Arches
         120 Leman Street
         London E1 8EU
http://modelshop.co.uk/

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: London Model Shop
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:15:33 pm »

Ordered from them a number of times, always a good service

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

inertia

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:31:36 pm »

What are "bespoke trees", chaps?
DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 03:40:17 pm »

One offs for model railways I would imagine!

Colin

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 03:46:17 pm »

DM

They specialize in supplies for commercial model makers, if an architectural model requires a specific type of tree for a planning model then they'll make it for you.

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 04:02:24 pm »

Do they do bespoke dogs for the aforementioned trees??

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:22:41 pm »

Ned, I worry about you, I really do...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 04:29:47 pm »

We used to use 4D a lot back in the early 90s.  They had a much bigger shop then up by Moorfields Eye Hospital then.  Do they still do custom Photoetch? They also used to print custom transfers but they were fairly pricey!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 04:33:33 pm »

DM

Their "Bespoke Trees" were shockingly expensive, especially the photo-etched one with individual leaves.  We used to buy "off the shelf trees" that were more than adequate, but you'd charge the client for the bespoke ones anyway. :embarrassed:   
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 05:26:23 pm »

Leman Street is quite famous.

For those that don't know it is where the police station that investigated the Whitechapel murders (jack the Ripper) used to be.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 05:35:25 pm »

As someone who used to work in a local authority architect's department which once had a model making section, (yes, a long time ago!), the shady looking trees on the model rarely made it into the final development. Handy for getting planning permission though.

Colin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 05:42:41 pm »

Leman Street is quite famous.

For those that don't know it is where the police station that investigated the Whitechapel murders (jack the Ripper) used to be.

Leman Street was the cop shop featured in the Victorian crime drama "Ripper Street"  or as it's sometimes known "CSI: Dickens"  The interesting part for me was the portrayal of the lead character Inspector Edmund Reid.  Reid was known as a "thief taker"  and worked on the Whitechapel murders.  He was also a record breaking Aeronaut with 50 balloon ascents to his credit and became the first man in the world to descend by parachute from over 1000 feet.  He didn't catch jack the Ripper though!

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 05:43:50 pm »

I use them a lot for Brass plate, strip, Brass tube wood and plastic card and a lot more.
And what's handy it's only 5 mins walk out of my way to work.

Destroyer42

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 06:02:48 pm »

We used to use 4D a lot back in the early 90s.  They had a much bigger shop then up by Moorfields Eye Hospital then.  Do they still do custom Photoetch? They also used to print custom transfers but they were fairly pricey!

They do custom photo etching ,custom transfers ,3d printing and a tone of other stuff. Its not cheep

john

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 07:07:06 pm »

Leman Street was the cop shop featured in the Victorian crime drama "Ripper Street"  or as it's sometimes known "CSI: Dickens"  The interesting part for me was the portrayal of the lead character Inspector Edmund Reid.  Reid was known as a "thief taker"  and worked on the Whitechapel murders.  He was also a record breaking Aeronaut with 50 balloon ascents to his credit and became the first man in the world to descend by parachute from over 1000 feet.  He didn't catch jack the Ripper though!

Yes that is where the series was based. Edmund Reid supposedly followed on from Inspector Abberline (investigator on the Ripper murders) when he left/retired from the station.

A bit of artistic license by the BBC. Has anyone seen the latest series that has been airing on Amazon Prime? hopefully the bbc will show it later this year.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 12:02:25 am »

One of our offices was just up the road from there :)
Used to pop in for a nose regularly.
As for ripper street, a most excellent show.... Proof that we can still make a good drama when we're not too busy making britains got piles or whatever it is this week

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 10:43:57 am »

Yes that is where the series was based. Edmund Reid supposedly followed on from Inspector Abberline (investigator on the Ripper murders) when he left/retired from the station.

A bit of artistic license by the BBC. Has anyone seen the latest series that has been airing on Amazon Prime? hopefully the bbc will show it later this year.

I usually don't have a lot of time for Amazon Prime but bless them for saving Ripper Street.  If anything the third series was better than the first two.  A good running storyline and great characterisations.  Well worth a watch!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 09:08:11 am »

Proof that we can still make a good drama when we're not too busy making britains got piles or whatever it is this week
Darn it to heck, you've let the words out into the ether.  I fully expect a show of that name on channel 4 before the year is out.  Probably involving the return of Clarkson.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 23 queries.