Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lulonga  (Read 12907 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Lulonga
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:51:42 pm »

I've been threatening to build this stern quarter wheeler for some time now, but was stuck on the paddle wheels. I tried several methods of cutting the rings, but didn't get any I was happy with. The other alternative are the Graupner wheels, but I don't think they look right. Then I saw someone's model where instead of circular rings to hold the spokes, he had used straight strips. A quick try and the wheels are made.

I have now completed the hull - not quite as the plan, but as most of it will be below the water its near enough (for me ;D) I tried using resin and fibreglass tissue to cover the hull, after resin inside. It didn't leave me with the finish I expected, but after some filling and sanding, and again its good enough to go underwater.

I have started the superstructure, which again is not exactly according to the original build instructions from Dave Metcalfe, but he used a styrene hull. I couldn't see how he made access to the interior for fitting the electrics, so I have done my own thing :)

Pics show the wheels, the hull and progress to date.

Barrie

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lulonga
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:11:54 pm »

Nice solution to the wheel Barrie. Hope somebody from the Springer pages sees this ! Keep the pictures coming please. O0
..well can you land on this?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 08:16:07 pm »

Very nice, Barrie. An excellent solution. Keep the pictures coming.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:55:12 pm »

Almost finished the bows section today. Since taking the photos I added a 5mm wide strip of very thin (<0.5mm) card to disguise the joint between the bow plates and the hull. Bulwark supports are cut, waiting for fitting. The main deck is probably going to be in three sections to allow access to batteries and electronics midships and the motors and drives at the stern.

Still struggling a bit with motors - I have a 50:1 reduction MFA which will give the correct speed, but its a very tight fit. I need two as I am not fitting a rudder and will use the two wheels for steering. I also have a Beuhler which would need gearing up on 6volts, but that is even longer. At Leamington last year Proops had some obviously surplus motors that were just right, BUT I hadn't decided to go ahead with Lulonga then >:( I don't suppose they will have them this year ::)

Barrie

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:01:40 pm »

I enclose a pic of the ship/boat built by a member of Tynemouth MB club. He seems to have solved your problem....want me to ask how he did it? Bryan Y.
Notes from a simple seaman

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:06:25 pm »

Yes please Bryan - a photo of his 'engine room' would be very useful if that is possible. I have seen two others, but they both opted for a single motor driving both wheels and using a rudder for steering.

Its not impossible to get two MFA's in, but very tight.

Barrie

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 08:24:51 pm »

Yes please Bryan - a photo of his 'engine room' would be very useful if that is possible. I have seen two others, but they both opted for a single motor driving both wheels and using a rudder for steering.

Its not impossible to get two MFA's in, but very tight.

Barrie
Had a chat with the guy who built this one today. He says that he just followed the plans in most respects, but he fitted 2 "Maguchi"(?) 540s (means nothing to me ). Apparently he also fitted plastic (perhaps he means nylon?) gears and chains. He got these from Squires. It was the PCS 150 chain and sprocket set. It was also recommended that you use the 10 tooth to 30 tooth ratio. The paddles were built as per plan. The builder also asked me to warn you about water build up in the paddle boxes.
From my own visual standpoint I would agree that this is a "fair-weather" boat (it is a river boat after all), but on a calm day looks very nice. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

nick_75au

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 09:06:43 am »

I built mine about 10 years ago, Its geting a makover at the moment. I put a hatch under the wheelhouse and a hatch under the smoke stacks . It only uses a Tamiya twin gearbox except I replaced the 3 volt motors with 12 volt versions and it runs nicely on 6 volts, the final drive is plastic chain and sprockets. Ive beefed up the hubs with metal collars. I originally used Hitec goldbrick speedys but they died when the speed bug hit :embarrassed:
Regards
Nick 

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 09:46:55 am »

Bryan & Nick

Thanks for that information. I think I am going ahead with 2 x MFA 50:1 motors on 6volts to start with. I will be using one of those amazing P94 contraptions that a certain member of the forum sells ( and another member designed)  :)

I have the whole centre section removable, plus the area over the motors and under the funnels as per Dave Metcalfe's original, so plenty of access. I also have 2 x 6volt 7Ah batteries from a UPS which should give plenty of run time, and help the ballast.

When I originally thought about building this, a couple of years ago, I tried to find the ABS hull originally available from MB, but of course, that was when they were in handover, and the plans service didn't seem to be functioning, so I scratch built the hull. Last night I was looking at the MB plans web site, and what do I find, the Lulonga plastic hull >:(

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 03:51:38 pm »

I've been working on installing the paddle wheels and a motor (need to buy another), but there's not much to see yet, so these photos show the model before this work. I think I need to do some painting, and fix the mesh to the windows of the 'engine room'  before I do much more.
Barrie

nick_75au

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 07:49:08 am »

Is your last shot how you are having the fwd hatch. If it is I would recommend that you seal that level and make the hatch through the wheelhouse. Mine would cop water on the lower deck all the time. The aft is exactly like I built mine.
Regards
Nick

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 09:34:49 am »

Nick,

Yes, that's how I plan to have it, with a coaming across the forward end of the opening. It will only be sailed in flat calm, I know how tender all paddlers are ;)

If I seal that level I wont be able to get my batteries in. I am following this model to some extent. I know this was 'dry' so hope mine will be OK.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 04:35:22 pm »

A couple more photos to show progress to date. I've started painting, and built the cabin more or less. Its not fixed yet as I want to build some furniture for it. I have now moved to the stern and started the structures there.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 04:36:21 pm »

A couple more photos to show the current position. I've started painting and now moved to the stern. The cabin is almost finished, but want some furniture for it.

Barrie

Sorry - it took so long to post I thought it had gone astray!

nick_75au

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 11:55:12 am »

Hi Barry,
Have you sorted out your motors yet?, It takes very little power to drive this model. Im using a Tamiya dual gearbox and Tamiya plastic chain set. I did swap out the standard 3 volt motors for 12 volt motors of the same dimensions. Your build is much superior to mine, im fairly rough :embarrassed:

Im looking for a dual speed control for it now, how is the ACTion unit?
Regards
Nick

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 05:15:23 pm »

Nick,

I dropped a bit of a clanger with the motors - I already had an MFA 950D 50:1 so decided to buy another, although they are a bit tight in the 'engine room'. However, I got myself rather confused looking at all the MFA model numbers on a web site and ordered a 919D instead - still 50:1 and giving, I hope, adequate revs on 6volts. (comes of having the shed and computer at the opposite ends of the garden, and our appalling 'summer' discouraging moving between them ???) The 919 is smaller therefore easier to fit, so I am now undecided whether to buy another 950 or 919 ::) They are the same price, so it seems a better bet to buy the 950, but the 919 fits more easily ;) However, I wont get to the stage where I have to make the decision for a while as I don't have too many modeling days before I go on holiday ;D

I have just costed out the cost of buying all the stanchions and decided I would make my own - the fittings were going to cost more that the rest of the model.

I am not sure my model is all that good - as I have said before on this forum, I build models to look good when sailing, not under a microscope :D

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 03:24:10 pm »

Final update before I go off on a holiday tomorrow - cruising from Venice to Istanbul :)

Its coming on - I hope to have it finished in time for the Leamington show, although the electrics may not be complete. I ran out of stripwood for planking the deck, so need to order some more when I return, also have decided to buy stanchions after making the 6 for the lower deck. I don't have suitable equipment for mass producing them.

Most of the items in the photos are not fixed - just placed to see how it will look ::)

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 06:22:02 pm »

Back from the cruise and work has progressed. Having been daunted by the cost of stanchions I compromised and bought the 3 holes and made the 2 hole. I'm aiming to finish before the IBMS, but it might not have any electrics.

Barrie

kno3

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 02:03:24 am »

Looking better and better!

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 09:35:06 am »

Thanks for the comment.

One thing I haven't attempted yet are the louvres at the stern. Its not clear from the plans if these are just decorative, or if the serve some purpose. Has anyone built and sailed Lulonga? What about the louvres - It seems to me that if I cut a hole on the stern and fill it with them, then water is going to spill out of them. Not sure what purpose this will serve.

Barrie

papa

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 12:27:16 pm »

Kind Barrie

This is a very beautiful ship. Only to congratulate I am top notch to it. :-))
I like the paddle wheel ones very much, mainly the curiosity ships going into a number.
The alligator is my pusher belonging to a class so for example.

I would like to build this ship, but to this I would need your help.
If you would be able to send his drawing e-mail  c.szilveszter@freemail.hu, I would say thanks for it.

With a greeting elf Daddy.  :-)

kno3

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 03:50:38 pm »

Thanks for the comment.

One thing I haven't attempted yet are the louvres at the stern. Its not clear from the plans if these are just decorative, or if the serve some purpose. Has anyone built and sailed Lulonga? What about the louvres - It seems to me that if I cut a hole on the stern and fill it with them, then water is going to spill out of them. Not sure what purpose this will serve.

Barrie

Could zou post a picture of the drawing showing those louvres? I'm not sure I understand what the problem is.

nick_75au

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 08:57:06 pm »

When I first built mine i didnt do them either, water does build up a little inside the paddle boxes, I have since built them out of too thin styrene and a quick trial at the pond revealed that they do let out water. My electrics are going to be 2 Action 1 amp controllers as the motors only draw 0.2 amp each.
Looks really good mine looks rough in comparison.
 I built all my rails from scratch.
Regards
Nick   

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 01:29:50 pm »

Nick,

Thanks for that - as I'm short of time I think I will leave them off for now. If I can get it finished this week I may have chance to give it a trial sail at the boat show on November 8th in an indoor pool.  I have already used filler to remove the ledges in the paddle boxes to try to stop water accumulating.

I am using the P94 light from Action - 2 ESCs and a mixer. Haven't built it yet so can't say how it will work, but Wombat (who designed it) is in our club so any trouble and I know who to chase {-)

Barrie

nick_75au

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 07:48:35 am »

I looked at the ACTion website at that mixer, is the "light" one available and is it cheaper than the one listed?
The Aussie dollar has taken a hammering recently making importing anything hideously expensive.
Nick
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.