Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Winston S Churchill  (Read 28715 times)

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
Winston S Churchill
« on: August 19, 2006, 12:15:25 pm »

I have started construction of the Arliegh Burke class destroyer Winston S Churchill. This is quite different from my previous model the Type 42 Gloucester:

1/ Much more modern and clean
2/ The plans are less detailed so much more work needs to be done on planning
3/ The fittings kits are tailored to the model and contain some usefull parts that remove the need for scratchbuilding

The semi kit was bought from PSShips, I believe that I was Paul's first customer for a Sirmar model. I didn't get any champaign but a lot of help and support. The Sirmar fittings are as you would expect, very high quality but Paul's fittings make the model. These include a complete mast kit, bilge keels and replacement parts that are more in line with the Flight IIa version.

Here are some photos so far.

The darker blue packs are PSShip fittings.

I will put a more comprehensive account on the Mayhem site soon

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Winston S Churchill
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 06:37:09 pm »

I will probably wire up the battery at some stage, it tends to improve performance. This was the first time on the water to give me an idea of where to put the batteries. The black things behind the motors are spring clips holding the servo mount while the fixing glue sets!!!!!.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 08:24:17 pm »

Heres the latest update on the build. I built up the hanger sides as the early PS hulls are slightlly out. The bilge keels come as a casting and they saved loads of time. Took me about a week on Gloucester. A bit of P38 to fill and strengthen and they will be great. The next stage is the false hanger. It's temporary at the moment. Lots of racks, vents, pipes and doors to go in yet. Th electrics actually work and it would sail if I put some props on.

Spent loads at Ellesmere Port on Saturday.

Great show, many thanks.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 12:34:48 pm »

Latest News
Hanger structure is complete, the hatch on the flight deck is sealed with silicone and screwed down. The hanger interior is constucted and fitted. The On/Off and charge sockets fitted and then the 02 deck fitted. As Paul says the hull is not wrong but needs careful allignment with the decks and structures. At each stage it is important to measure and check the look by eye.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 12:40:31 pm »

First sail
Yesterday the model sailed in the Basingstoke Canal!!!!

Wow does it shift!!!!
She is very stable and maneuvers well. The batteries are fitted and basic balancing done. She does not roll much but there is no top weight yet. This model is going to look very good on the water.

Slight leak but I Did not lube the rudder shafts.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 08:25:37 pm »

Latest update.

The decks are on and filled. About 4 layers of P38 and a lot of wet and dry. The wiring has been marked up and logged on a spreadsheet for later refference. THe deck has had its first coat of paint to try and spot any blemishers. Next stage is to build the coamings for the deck openings. Note the bower ancher bay on the port bow, this is cut into a block of wood bonded to the hull.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 01:41:26 pm »

Latest Pics of Winston Churchill

The hull is painted and awaiting varnish and decals. The motors and electronics were put in for a sail at Black Park today. She sailed well and was very stable. The superstructure is slowly being built, both funnels now basically done, I am trying to source some 5 rail stantions from James Lane who says he can supply them. I will let you know if they look right. Next stage is deck painting and markings and then the fittings.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 07:09:41 pm »

I varnished one side of the hull and applied some of the markings. The pennant numbers are Carpena decals for aircraft. The grey (Gray) shdow is there but very subtle!!!!.
The funnels and superstructure are under construction. There's a lot of thinking involved in these with all the angles to be worked out.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 06:40:00 pm »

Another beautifull day at Black Park Lake!!!!!

Winston S Churchill goes for a sail with the superstructure in place. The forestructure is very complicated with lots of angles. Each panel has to be thought out carefully because they all affect the one next to it.

She rolls much more realistically now with the extra topweight.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 10:09:59 pm »

More on the Winston S Churchill

Here's a couple of pictures of the foredeck and the James Lane stanchions he made for me. They match the 5 rung design used by the USN. The cable handeling gear and anchors are done. The deck needs a couple more spots of paint and varnishing and then it's done. Thanks to Gary I have found some low vis decals by Hawk Graphics from Loyalhanna Dockyard in The USA. Pictures to be posted soon. The hull has had a repaint in fs 36270, this is the modern Haze Gray. I used Hannants Xtra Colour Neutral Gray.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 02:07:54 pm »

The latest update on DDG81
The foredeck is done except for some machine gun mounts. There is some more work to be done on the flightdeck and I have started the mid deck details.
The decals are on again and the hull is varnished with Johnsons Clear and Tamya flat base.
I think the balloon shaped things I have made are fenders.

Do you like the torpedo tubes and 25mm? Does anyone know why these ships only carry one Bushmaster mount? It makes no sense to me.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 11:22:25 pm »

The switch for the motor power supply and battery charging has a fault. It needs replacing. Had to be pushed ashore by a Type 23 today!!!!

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 12:18:10 pm »

A few pics of the aft funnel area of Winston S Churchill. The torpedo tubes and 25mm gun are scratch built. The ribs are yet to be built and detailed and the padeyes are to be fitted between the funnels. There is still a lot more work to be done around the whole area.
Happy New Year to all!!!!!!!!

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »

Latest update on Winston S Churchill

The rear superstructure is just about done. Just needs the illuminators and the CIWS and some varnish. The receiver aerial goes around the inside of funnel and up the inside of the mast!
The stanchions around the hanger deck are being done and some more work on the flight deck has to be done as well. If you can paint flight deck markings they look better than decals.

The photos were taken at Basingstoke today. Black Park was apparantly closed due to bad weather!!

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 06:34:50 pm »

Update on Winston S Churchill
I have fitted the flight deck safety netting. Made of brass rod and covered in some netting I got from a habberdashery shop. (Gary R, this is the shop that replaced Books International in North Camp, I knew it would come in handy!!!!)
The nets are fixed onto the hull with some split pins from James lane and allow the nets to fold down. Just a few more details and some varnish and it's all done at the back end.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 08:49:03 pm »

Hi All
Update on Winston S Churchill
The bridge windows were going to be a challenge. I built them up of strip plastic and put in the windows. The bridge wings are detailed and there are gratings to go on the deck.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 10:47:50 pm »

Hi all
A coup;e of shots from a very rough Black Park yesterday. The blue one thanks to Gary R. WSC didn't let too much water in and rode the waves well. Shame I didn't get there in time to see you sailing Gary

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 02:16:39 pm »

Some photos of the mast build. This has taken a lot of thought and checking pictures and plans but I think I have got it correct. The split pins are for the signal and ensign halliards. The radars will revolve when fitted, I have planned for wire shafts to go down through the decks to motors.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 09:49:40 pm »

Hi guys
I havn't posted for a while, been out on a propper boat but I have still been quietly building. I am begining to see the end now. Here are the latest pictures of the fwd superstructure and mast.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 08:37:30 pm »

I restocked on stanchions this weekend and managed to get a few on!!!

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 11:13:32 pm »

I use an air brush for all the neutral gray and touch up with a brush, the decks are brush painted. They look better if they are rough in most cases.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 11:51:20 pm »

The fwd structure is now complete, the brass is primed and tomorrow it gets the undercoat!!!!!

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 02:16:26 pm »

And now the base coat of Halfords Grey primer is on. It's starting to look warshiplike.

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 12:54:11 pm »

Thanks for your comments guys!!!
The primer is only that. The main paint will be Xtracolour from Hannants. This is a gloss colour. The shade I use will be 16270 Neutral Gray. This can be used with Humbrol Medium Sea Grey which is the same FS number. The US Navy use 36270 and call it Haze Gray. The decks are in Humbrol 127. (The navy use 36008) The anti foul is Halfords primer!!!!
The whole model will be varnished with Johnsons Clear with Tamya flat mixed in.
More photos of top coat later.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 03:02:26 pm »

The top coat of "Haze Gray" now on. There is some touching up and detail painting to be done and also the decks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.