Masterclasses > Bryan's Northumbrian

"Northumbrian"

(1/45) > >>

Bryan Young:
This is a bit of an unexpected bonus for me. Around 10 years ago I built a glass hull of the old Tyne ferry "Northumbrian" for a fellow club member. The idea at the time was to build 2 of the old ferries (different, but on the same hull) and have them trotting across the lake passing each other in the middle. The other chap died not long after the 1st hull was done and the hull and mould sort of disappeared with him. It recently re-emerged and has been returned to me. Its condition is exactly how it was when it came out of the mould. Never been cleaned up or touched in any way. My then "partner" wanted the pair of them to be built at 1:24 (0.5" /ft) as he wished to have a couple of "Double Tens" installed, whereas I was going the electric route. After his death I discovered that he had destroyed the mould, but kept the hull...thereby preventing the 2nd hull being built. So I lost interest in the project. Now that I have the hull back, I am re-kindling my original interest. I have never been interested in having 2 projects on the go at the same time, but I may make an exception in this case.
In the first 2 pics the hull is sitting on one of those council recycling boxes, and I'm sure most of us know how big they are. The hull is 58" x 17" x 7" and will have a draught of around 2.5", which will give an all-up weight of around 87lb (gulp). That probably means somewhere in the region of 50lb ballast. I really do choose the simple options!

polobeer:
That's going to be one very interesting model there Bryan! Keep us posted with developments.

All the best
Simon  :o

Bryan Young:
Thanks, but I still think it looks like a turtle!. A question for you Londoners...does it resemble any of the old Woolwich ferries? I haven't done much research on this as yet, but I know she was built far away to the south of Geordieland in a strange country of which we know little but probably ends in "sex" as do most of these foreign lands.

Barry:
The Northumbrian was built in 1930 by Hawthorn, Leslie and Co., of Hebburn. for thr Tyne Improvement Commission. Last heard of as a floating restaurant in Gateshead in 1976. The Tyne and Wear archives have her plans. GA drawing is DS/HL/230/7.

Bryan Young:

--- Quote from: Barry on August 24, 2008, 02:28:12 am ---The Northumbrian was built in 1930 by Hawthorn, Leslie and Co., of Hebburn. for thr Tyne Improvement Commission. Last heard of as a floating restaurant in Gateshead in 1976. The Tyne and Wear archives have her plans. GA drawing is DS/HL/230/7.

--- End quote ---
Just got a more or less complete set of the drawings. But there is still a bit of a debate. My drawings sort of indicate the boat is "Tynemouth" and not "Northumbrian". It would appear that sometime during the lifespan of both ferries the vehicle "run-around" was removed and the foot passenger area enlarged. The funnel of "Tynemouth" was also shorter and squatter than my early drawings of "Northumbrian" show. So I guess the final model may well be a bit of a half-breed. Not to worry. There is still enough there to keep me happy for a while. I also think I made a dit of a horlix with regard to the final weight. The draught is not 2.5" but nearer 4" which puts the AUW nearer 110lb. Ah, well..... BY.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version