Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: "Northumbrian"  (Read 114093 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Northumbrian"
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 03:52:49 pm »

Just a quick update on the superstructure progress. Got a bit fed up with the ramps etc. so went off in a different direction for awhile. The next posting will hopefully show how intend to maintain access to the interior. The curved bulkheads at the back are quadrants of 5" dia. "plastic" drainpipe. Rotten stuff to glue anything to but 24hr. Araldite seems to have done the job. But even if it is a "weak point" it will all be locked together eventually.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 07:36:20 pm »

I've been wanting to do an update for ages now, but the foggy, damp and generally miserable weather on the NE coast hasn't been all that good for getting the beast outside to photograph. So I bit the bullet and took these with flash inside the "shed". Not the best, but hopefully will give an idea on how it's going. All the exterior painted surfaces are 20 or 40 though plasticard pre-painted and affixed to 1.5mm or 0.75mm ply (as appropriate) with my favourite double sided tape. I KNOW I keep banging on about this stuff, and am still totally bemused why so many modellers turn their noses up at its use. Even got brian_c using it now and again!
Before anyone asks, the window frames are just simple 1/8" plasticard strips carefully fitted so they are flush on the inside and project a little bit on the outside. The inner frames are 40 thou square sections fitted the same way. Getting everything to be a neat sliding fit was a long job....but I think that is what modelling is all bout anyway, so no complaints.
Pic 2418 is just a general view of the superstructure lay-out. The aft section lid (top deck) will lift off to give access to the main lifting handle for removing the big deck. The rest of the superstructure will lift off with the main-deck.
Pic 2420
The aft section is now araldited in place. The "slots" are to locate the removeable upper aft deck.
2420a
Just showing my way of fixing the large curved forward bulkhead. When fitting the angle brackets I clamped the vertical parts to the bulkhead, so when the screws are loosened the brackets move back a little so freeing the bulkhead for removal and further work.
A view along the main deck. The bit on top is the removable part. I think I'm going to have to put some lighting under the deckhead otherwise it will be in permanent semi-darkness.
The removeable deck from above. Just started planking the deck. As this deck was used only by people and not vehicles there were no oil stains and so on, but the planking was weathered and old.to get the "grey" shade of weathered wood I used Obeche (the main deck is Spruce), sprayed two 4" x 36" planks with a fairly light coat of matt black and then sanded most of the paint off, leaving a sort of blotchy grey. Then cut the whole thig up into 3/16" planks, mixed them up a bit to avoid repitition and got ready to glue them down. The "caulking" is, as usual, black insulating tape. The 4 "squares" are where the main cowl vents will sit (all guide holes are already drilled and visible from undeneath, so no need for more marking out). The big hole is to take the Engine Room skylight, and the 2 smaller ones will be for gratings. The 50p shaped thing is where the funnel goes.
This just shows the size and style of the stanchions. Obviously this is just a "mock-up" . You can get away with all the rails being the same diameter at 1:48 scale, but at 1:24 the larger dia. top rail has to be shown. Jim Lane re-jigged and made me the 70 that I need.
On the "recommendation" of another Mayhemmer I bought the Proxxon torch. I'd been humming and haahing about it for awhile but it really is a nice bit of kit and worth the £37 price. Unfortunately the little "Instruction Book" is printed in script about the size of the small print on the back of a credit card. So I couldn't read it without scanning and re-printing. As I have been diagnosed with the "dry" version of ARMD (Age Related Macular Degeneration) for which there is no cure perhaps I will be the 1st "one eyed" modeller on the Forum. Not nice. Makes modellig very slow and drillilling little hole very difficult. But just have to accept it.

craftysod

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 08:32:45 pm »

Nice work,looking good
Mark

sentry

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 01:38:01 am »

Hello Bryan.
May I ask how differant is from the Jarrow ferry, coz as a lad i saw it most days.
                                             Regards, Sentry

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 06:41:16 pm »

Hello Bryan.
May I ask how differant is from the Jarrow ferry, coz as a lad i saw it most days.
                                             Regards, Sentry
A bit difficult to answer that one,Sentry. But I think that the larger and newer ferries ("Tynemouth" and "Northumbrian") were kept on the N.Shields - S.Shields trot and the older (replaced) boats were shunted off onto the "minor" routes. Have a little browse through the "Old Tyne Ferries" website and some odd-ball boats will appear. Until I started building "Northumbrian" I didn't even know that there had been a Jarrow Ferry! And to be really honest, I still don't 100% know if I'm building "Northumbrian" or "Tynemouth"! The "lounge" windows on "Tynemouth" were smaller, but the funnels seem to be interchangeable depending on what set of plans and photos one is looking at. But work proceeds...slowly. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 07:20:10 pm »

I've done lots of work since the last posting, but much of it is not really evident. The upper passenger deck planking seemed never ending. Although the main (vehicle) deck is of spruce and coloured a rather nasty shade of something unmentionable, the upper deck is Obeche. The reason for this is that while the vehicle deck got all the muck and oil worked into it, the upper deck was foot passengers only, but it was well weathered. I lightly sprayed 2 planks (3ft x 4") with matt black in an uneven pattern then rubbed it all down to a lightish shade of grey. Then cut it all up into 3/16" planks and laid them just as my hand fell to get a random effect. Looks better than the pics would indicate.
The E/Rm skylights are still under construction. The octagonal thing is where the funnel will go ( 4" dia x 7.5" tall). The "lounge" seats are under way and being fitted.
Both of the upper decks will be removable seperately. The bit with the funnel on will be quite "loose" as it has to come off to give me access to the main deck lifting handles...the front part over the lounge will be "fixed" but removable.
The stanchions are of brass, but the rails are aluminium tubing (the top rail being a bit larger in dia than the others. Still a long way to go, so I'll keep plodding along. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 07:56:48 pm »

As I'm still pondering the best way to make cowl vents at 2" dia with a 3/4" shaft, for some light relief I've gon the "easy" route and decided to build the 16 or so seats that ringed the upper deck. These "seats" were in fact steel boxes fitted on top of each other and were the equivelant of "lifeboats". Most of them were 10' long. (5" at this scale).
I first tried building a framework skeleton but although it worked it was very laborious and the idea of making 16 of the blessed things was just too much. Life is too short! But, as everyone of advancing age knows too well, being awake at 4am with nothing to do but lie there and ponder; I hit on a solution. Many of you will have had double-glazing fitted...and years ago I kept the high density foam bars (about 5" x 2") that the units were transported in. A "Eureka" moment. Then went back to sleep.
This foam cuts pretty well in the bandsaw, so a few hours cutting the stuff up into seat sized blocks was as enjoyable as building a model gets. Of course the final shape is not just a rectangular box. Shaping is needed. But thats the next one. Nice to be making some progress. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 08:15:15 pm »

Plodding along with the "Bandstand" sort of wheelhouse. Everything yo can see on these pics is "loose" and can be re-alighned.

nhp651

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 09:35:31 pm »

it's a lovely and very unusual model bryan.
i enjoy your progress immensley. :-))

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 09:43:54 pm »

Hi Bryan,

Loving this build a really interesting boat to model- although I can imagine teduim breaking you down on that planking on a deck that size- I thought I was fairly patient but I think you get the medal mate!

Just need those D10's you mentioned at the beginning......... :}

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 10:55:30 pm »

Hi Bryan,

Loving this build a really interesting boat to model- although I can imagine teduim breaking you down on that planking on a deck that size- I thought I was fairly patient but I think you get the medal mate!

Greg
Sorry Greg. Thanks for your comments, but what on earth is a D10? I must be missing something or other!. Bryan.

Proteus

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2009, 05:29:47 am »

Hi Bryan,

Greg
Sorry Greg. Thanks for your comments, but what on earth is a D10? I must be missing something or other!. Bryan.

Double Tens steam plants

Proteus

nhp651

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2009, 08:05:20 am »

Stuart Turner Double Ten twin cylinder steam engines to be  precise...........they'd be abble to tow you behind, water skiing if you fitted them, they're so powerful in a model your size.
Lovely engines but need a lot of steam to run.

Proteus

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2009, 08:25:18 am »

Stuart Turner Double Ten twin cylinder steam engines to be  precise...........they'd be abble to tow you behind, water skiing if you fitted them, they're so powerful in a model your size.
Lovely engines but need a lot of steam to run.

I was just repeating what Brian had put in his first post , it must be hard work being perfect
all the time
Proteus

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2009, 09:45:36 am »

Hi Bryan,

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I assumed you knew as you said in your very first post "My then "partner" wanted the pair of them to be built at 1:24 (0.5" /ft) as he wished to have a couple of "Double Tens" installed, whereas I was going the electric route."

Never mind- heres what a D10 looks like anyway.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

madrob

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2009, 11:38:54 am »

This is got to be one of the oddest looking ships ive ever seen, superb build tho Bryan.
looking forward to the rest

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2009, 06:35:32 pm »

Hi Bryan,

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I assumed you knew as you said in your very first post "My then "partner" wanted the pair of them to be built at 1:24 (0.5" /ft) as he wished to have a couple of "Double Tens" installed, whereas I was going the electric route."

Never mind- heres what a D10 looks like anyway.

Greg
Sorry! I would prefer to forget some of the past history of this model and concentrate on the present. This version will be all electric. Partly because I know nowt about "steam", b, life is too short to spend another lifetime making a steam Engine Room, c, Steam is far too expensive and time consuming. d, I can't find any 3" tall engineers to run the thing. So electric it is! Cheers. B.Y.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2009, 07:01:50 pm »

This is got to be one of the oddest looking ships ive ever seen, superb build tho Bryan.
looking forward to the rest
Thank you! But the boats were not really very odd. Dirty and always in need of som non-existent TLC. Untill the Tyne Tunnel opened the ferry was the quickest way to get across the Tyne if you were coming from the coastal area. Two Ferries, departing every 15 minutes. The only other way across the Tyne (with a vehicle) was to drive up to Newcastle and choose which bridge suited you best.
With the volume of traffic nowadays this system would be impossible. But this all has a long history. Goes back to the 1300s or maybe earlier. Newcastle basically wanted to maintain its pre-eminent position as the Premier port on the Tyne. And so for centuries all ideas for building a bridge over the river were knocked back. Still are, to an extent. So with the growth of traffic the Tyne tunnel was grudgingly built. Killed the vehicle ferry, but it would'nt have lasted much longer anyway. They had a good innings, from the early part of the 20th century until around 1973(ish). But they should not be forgotten as they were a great symbol of their times. BY.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2009, 09:07:45 pm »

hi ya there

they may have been 'dirty old ferries' but by gum they were a source of great entertainment - due to the fact there were stable doors around the top of the engine room - these were sometimes open.   You could look over the top and watch the triple expansions working - doubt that would be allowed now - also, one could go up on the top deck and the engine room skylights were always open - and from there you could look down onto the engine room.....it was many a time I used to get shouted at because as we were coming into the ferry landings we used to watch the engineers operating all of the valves, reversing geat etc., the rest of my family were away making their way off the ferry landing and my brother and I were still peering over the top.

oh that smell......like standing next to a steam train engine....  :-)) :-)) happy days.

I recall one of the ferries was purchased by McNulty's on the Tyne - and then it was converted into a restaurant - moved to Gateshead - not sure where she is now....possibly good quality BMW motor.  :}

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2009, 09:14:27 pm »

I must be one of a very few people still around to have steered the Northumbrian ! To be truthful I was around 5 years old and the skipper was behind me with his hands on the wheel as well (No hello sailor jokes please !) My mam knew him and on a trip 'owa the watter' he invited us into the wheelhouse, I also have a mental picture of a stool with a small white enamel dish on it filled with an untouched rice pudding that was far more interesting at the time !

Know what you mean about the sights and smells of the engine room John, brings the memories flooding back !

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2009, 05:30:44 pm »

Just a quickie on the wheelhouse. Yesterdays pics showed all the uprights as being anything but upright. This is an interim pic of what it should look like.
Also, to my shame, I have made a serious boo-boo with my geometry. The doors were of the sliding sort..and I've made the entrance too small. Shoot...and further expletives would be deleted. So I'm going to have to make the doors in a more conventional manner. And keep them shut! A bit of a downer, but my fault.

ronkh

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2009, 09:03:54 pm »

Mistakes happen don't they?
Still a very nice model and an interesting build. Thank you for it.

Ron.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2009, 08:13:18 pm »

Today. Bad news. After ordering 4 packets of the smallest "eye-bolts" that Billings produce I find that Billings have stopped producing them!  Disaster! I need 4 packets  (each of about 100) to complete the seat/liferaft items.
In days of yore, before the eyesight went a bit wonky I could make them...now I can't even buy them! Rats!. Suppose I'm going to have to dream up another solution to the problem. BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2009, 08:29:03 pm »

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2009, 11:02:13 pm »

Are these of any use Bryan?

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/amati_eyebolts.html

Colin
Thank you Colin. I'll measure up tomorrow, and if theyr'e the same as the ones I have an order will be placed. I need 400 of them!!! BY.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.