Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: "Northumbrian"  (Read 113309 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Northumbrian"
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 10:14:53 am »

Bryan,

I have been using the Amati part 4703 eyebolts and found them very handy. Although the external dimension is a nominal 2mm the interior dimension is near enough 1mm. At under £3 for 100 they won't entirely break the bank although I won't say the same for your eyesight!

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2009, 06:04:50 pm »

Bryan,

I have been using the Amati part 4703 eyebolts and found them very handy. Although the external dimension is a nominal 2mm the interior dimension is near enough 1mm. At under £3 for 100 they won't entirely break the bank although I won't say the same for your eyesight!

Colin
Thanks a million Colin. I 'phoned Cornwall Models this morning and was "dealt with" by a very nice lady. As the items are the same size and shape as the Billings offerings but less than half the price I'm not surprised that Billings have stopped production. But then, I've always considered Billings to be way over priced anyway.Now all I have to do is fit 400 little eyebolts, reeve one at a time fitting a little tubular glass bead (to be painted black) and continue (off and on) for the next half century!. Thanks again. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 06:42:53 pm »

BY, Squires may have what you require, nice to see the funnel,
                                   Nemesis

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 07:01:19 pm »

Glad to be of assistance Bryan. I find they come in useful for all sorts of things including rigging attachments.

Nemesis, yes Squires do sell them which is where I got mine but I think Cornwall Models are a bit cheaper.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2009, 08:28:12 pm »

Nemesis
Yeah, the funnel looks about right, but I'm now having second thoughts about the material. Perhaps not too hapy with aluminium. Perhaps "plastic" would be a better choice. One lives and learns.. BY.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 08:39:10 am »

Nemesis
Yeah, the funnel looks about right, but I'm now having second thoughts about the material. Perhaps not too hapy with aluminium. Perhaps "plastic" would be a better choice. One lives and learns.. BY.

Would agree with you there Bryan, if the photo is giving the true impression it looks a bit too smooth and perfect, but hey I should be able to build that good  O0

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 05:49:17 pm »

Mike, re the funnel. I got the aluminium tube accurately chopped and when I plonked it into position I found that it being a big and shiny lump, I had no visual reference as to how it would actually look. So 5 minutes with an aerosol gave what you see in the pics. There is a shed load of attachments to put on the thing, and drilling so many small holes through the ally might prove counter-productive.
There is an "inner" funnel to make and fit. So my present thinking is to make the outer one out of "plastic", and the much smaller inner one out of ally....there's also the "top-hat" to make, with any luck my geometry may hold up for that bit!. BY.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 06:05:11 pm »

You are right Bryan, it is probably just seeing the funnel as a plain yellow and black tube without all the extras - top hat, whistle, ladders, stays etc etc to draw the eye away from the expanse to the detail. Just me jumping to the end before the job is finished - engaging mouth before brain or whatever ! O0

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2009, 08:16:31 pm »

You are right Bryan, it is probably just seeing the funnel as a plain yellow and black tube without all the extras - top hat, whistle, ladders, stays etc etc to draw the eye away from the expanse to the detail. Just me jumping to the end before the job is finished - engaging mouth before brain or whatever ! O0

Mike
Don't fret about it! Your comments and observation are always welcome. As always, making a model of a ship/boat about which there is sparse information is a bit difficult. OK, I know I have "builders" plans. But they are of 1930. The vessel changed over the years and I would really like to build it the way I remembered it during the long dark days (and nights) trogging my weary way to South Shields Marine College (as it was then).
It's just a pity that we all took the "thing" for granted. I guess we all had other things on our minds. Real serious stuff like "Where are we going for a pint tonight?" or "What on earth is this "Deviation Board" all about?" ( Nothing, I hasten to add, that SSMTC had anything whatsoever to do with the present alliteration of "deviation"....this one is about magnetism and compasses!). I'm still enjoying the build,sort of...but the end result may be OK..Cheers. Bryan.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2009, 08:08:23 am »

Now you've spoilt my day, dragging up memories of that evil surf board, coefficient B etc etc and the pleasant hours spent up at the Newcastle exam centre. I'm off to do some 'swinging' with an Asda trolley - much more mind numbing.  ;)

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2009, 07:41:11 pm »

Now you've spoilt my day, dragging up memories of that evil surf board, coefficient B etc etc and the pleasant hours spent up at the Newcastle exam centre. I'm off to do some 'swinging' with an Asda trolley - much more mind numbing.  ;)

Mike
I'm sure I didn't spoil your day. Perhaps brought back some long lost memories of thinking how pointless the whole thing was, as no-one ever touched the compass no matter where you were or what hemisphere you were in. Exam boards were (in those days) stuck in the 1920s when most of the examiners were last at sea.
Remember the "Board of Trade" ration scale for seafarers? "One Egg Per Day Perhaps" sort of thing. "Seven-bell" fritters? "Field Days"? God, I loved them! (!!!!). Cooks who couldn't cook. I could go on forever but Bunkerbarge might take offence. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2009, 07:50:05 pm »

Todays little offering is just about the development of the wheelhouse. An enjoyable if at times a bit frustrating thing to make.
There is still a long way to go ....but that's what modelling is about. The stbd door is sort of fitted but lacks "furniture" at the moment.
But here's where I am as of today.

ZZ56

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:25 pm »

Looks superb, Brian!  No doubt she'll be a steady sailer.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2009, 10:52:03 pm »

ZZ:- not altogether sure about the "steady" sailing. If you look at some of the early pics of the build you'll notice that the actual hull is about 4" less in beam than that over the deck. This may cause a few problems. Cheers. BY.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2009, 05:39:08 am »

Looking great (including the funnel  %) ) Don't forget the cracket with the rice pudding on top, it was tucked into that space to stbd of the console fwd. !

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2009, 05:41:44 pm »

Looking great (including the funnel  %) ) Don't forget the cracket with the rice pudding on top, it was tucked into that space to stbd of the console fwd. !

Mike
I suppose the rice pudding would be easy enough, as would the cracket. Perusing the original plans (1930), I can see that there is (was) space on the port side, but since the radar was fitted that space is not available. However....just for you....I'll put it beside the steering gear box cover at the back end. Send me a model of a 5 or 6 year old at 1:24 painted in the old school uniform and I'll put you in it. (seriously). BY.

mackem1946

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2009, 03:02:22 pm »

Great stuff , Bryan, these ferries were an integral part of my life as a young kid. I lived in the Garricks head pub in Soo Shields and uesd to go to my aunts house in Monkseaton every weekend . and can still smell the oily engineroom. Many a run down the pontoon , when I was older to catch the last ferry, across ,after being to W,Bay Ice Rink. then becoming older , rolling out of the "Jungle" onto the ferry across to the "Cellar Club" in Shields.All this couldn't have happened without the great old ferries.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2009, 09:19:44 am »

Mike
I suppose the rice pudding would be easy enough, as would the cracket. Perusing the original plans (1930), I can see that there is (was) space on the port side, but since the radar was fitted that space is not available. However....just for you....I'll put it beside the steering gear box cover at the back end. Send me a model of a 5 or 6 year old at 1:24 painted in the old school uniform and I'll put you in it. (seriously). BY.

That would be an honour Bryan, but I doubt if I could find a good looking enough model at that scale  :} also in this sad Big Brother age we are in I would probably be had up for wanting to buy a model of a 5 year old boy. !

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2009, 08:51:17 pm »

Mike

That would be an honour Bryan, but I doubt if I could find a good looking enough model at that scale  :} also in this sad Big Brother age we are in I would probably be had up for wanting to buy a model of a 5 year old boy. !

Mike
Shame on you!  So I'll have to do it myself then. So much for "commitment". Disappointingly yours., BY.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2009, 07:48:02 am »

Not fair !! Now you have made me feel all guilty and I haven't done anything !
I'm sure you would do a better job than my artistic talents would produce. No school uniform by the way - only posh schools in South Shields dressed their pupils in pretty uniforms - it made it easier for us tykes to pick out targets ! Mortimer Road Infants only required kids to be scrubbed up and 'decent' on arrival, what state you were in at home time was another matter !
Shamedly yours,  Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2009, 08:08:34 pm »

A couple of little problems have arisen since the last post.
1.  Searching through my pretty large pic library, and having used them often enough, I cannot find a decent pic of the faces of an Engine Room Telegraph. I guess familiarity does breed contempt. I have pics of very old ones, and quite new ones...but none of the "traditional" sort.....especially for a twin screw ship.
2..I-ve made the "structure" of the telegraph, but I'm blowed if I can work out a way of making the control handles. (apologies to our US readers...some things get lost in translation). As the model is 1:24 scale and the telegraph itself (minus handles) is 2" tall (actually, a bit less), I wonder if anyone has any ideas? BY.

ZZ56

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2009, 10:57:00 pm »

Bryan,

What about cutting this shape from thin shim brass and attaching a piece of rod for a handle, then bending it to fit over the round part of the telegraph?  The curvature should make both the 'legs' touch.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2009, 06:18:16 pm »

Bryan,

What about cutting this shape from thin shim brass and attaching a piece of rod for a handle, then bending it to fit over the round part of the telegraph?  The curvature should make both the 'legs' touch.

ZZ, thanks for the idea....I'll mull over it for awhile. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2009, 07:36:11 pm »

Still plodding along with the wheelhouse. Nearly 3 weeks now. Started the glazing but am having a bit of difficulty putting the glue where I want it to go. The main body of the telegraph has been turned up in 2 bits (obviously). The compass was 3 layers of close fitting brass tubing stuck together with 24hr Araldite with a centre core of teak. I didn't want to use solder as I might well finish up with silvery "streaks" on the thing. Then it was all carefully turned down to get the profile. The compass rose is simply a scanned pic of one and reduced to size on the printer. The radar is a vague copy of a 1950s Kelvin Hughes item. The cowl is simply a chopped top from an expired Loctite container. In real life I imagine that the radar Magnetron would have played havoc with the compass but I guess a compass wasn't really necessary to get from N to S.Shields. When the "roof" is on it's a bit difficult to pick out the details so I've decided to leave it more or less as it is.
Withe the exception of a cracket, a bowl of rice pudding and a (modern) copy of a Daily Mail front page! BY.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2009, 08:08:28 pm »

Hi Bryan,

At risk of sounding like a southern fairy, what or who is cracket and why do they like rice pudding?!?!? :o :embarrassed: ;)

Build is looking great, I know what it's like to spend ages in one part- got so bored of planking this week I painted the hull instead- inspiration restored!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.