Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: "Northumbrian"  (Read 113306 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Northumbrian"
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2009, 07:22:41 pm »

Just a couple of record shots.  Interior 'cos it's wet outside and I don't want to get the boat wet (yet).
They really show how big a difference they make to the overall aspect of the model. Still some way to go yet!
Notes from a simple seaman

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2009, 07:39:10 am »

Thanks Bryan  :-)) Tip duly stored away in brainbox, hopefully in a recoverable compartment !  :-X

Mike

PS That shade of yellow looks just about right (Now tell me you havn't changed it !!) The green sidelight box seems to stand out a bit in the picture if I may be so bold ?  :embarrassed:

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2009, 08:58:18 am »

It has been bugging me since I wrote the above ! (The sidelights) How dare I criticize someone who obviously has forgotten more about model making than I have learned so far. O0  On looking again it probably was the flash bounce giving a false shade of green ? No offence meant Bryan !

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2009, 06:14:56 pm »

It has been bugging me since I wrote the above ! (The sidelights) How dare I criticize someone who obviously has forgotten more about model making than I have learned so far. O0  On looking again it probably was the flash bounce giving a false shade of green ? No offence meant Bryan !

Mike
Mike, criticise away, all you like. Consructive (or even "destructive") criticism is always welcome to me. Unless it's of the "carping and trivial" sort. I always take note of what is said, and either accept or reject...but always consider. The "green" was indeed due to the flash....but now I think the funnel is too pale! "xxxxx" it. It's staying the way it is! Finished the vents off today (the spindle turning gear). Now to do the electrical bit, unless I find some odds and ends to do on the upperworks. Cheers. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2009, 06:20:27 pm »

Mike, criticise away, all you like. Consructive (or even "destructive") criticism is always welcome to me. Unless it's of the "carping and trivial" sort. I always take note of what is said, and either accept or reject...but always consider. The "green" was indeed due to the flash....but now I think the funnel is too pale! "xxxxx" it. It's staying the way it is! Finished the vents off today (the spindle turning gear). Now to do the electrical bit, unless I find some odds and ends to do on the upperworks. Cheers. Bryan.
As a rider to the above, if you enlarge the page you will see that your rice bowl has sort of pride of place!. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2009, 07:15:29 pm »

Rats and all the other expletives that come to mind. After posting the last answer I had another look at an old colour photo. And the funnel is definitely darker than I have it at the moment. Feeling a bit stymied at the present time...and more than a bit annoyed. Still, needs must, and so another search begins! Not a happy bunny at the moment. BY.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2009, 07:47:38 am »

Just blown up the pic and checked out my bowl !Quite chuffed at being a tiny part of a great model  O0 Hope you finally get the colours to your satisfaction. With only the doubtful aid of memory the funnel was a pale yellow as opposed to a 'buttery' hue, Must have a look at pictures of E.D ships and see if there is a resemblance
Cheers

Mike

Never thought it was so long ago that black and white was the norm ! Finally found one in colour and it might be near what I was imagining :  http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=25751

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2009, 06:49:20 pm »

At last had a day when the sun wasn't either too bright or too dull. So the following pics are of today (12 sept '09).
2579a:- A pretty standard layout. The "tray" is 1/4" perspex. "On and Off" switches are marked. Wiring needs a bit more tidying up.
2582a:- "Main" deck in place. Shows main lifting handle for deck removal.
2586a and 2587a:- "Funnel deck" plonked in place and ready to go. But not yet.
Might take it to the lake tomorrow and give it a first ballast check. Depends on the weather.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2009, 07:49:40 am »

She's beautiful Bryan ! Bon voyage if the weather is favourable. Eventualy are you going to stick the vehicles down or just scatter them a la cushions ?  %) I would imagine she will be so stable that nothing is going to slide around !

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2009, 12:58:28 pm »

Went down to the lake this morning and the weed is back thick enough to play cricket on. What a dreadful year for us this has been. I think I've only had a boat out twice.
As far as the vehicles are concerned I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've got some from manufacturers in Mexico, China and "Europe". And they all seem to have their own idea what constitutes 1:24 scale!. They look ridiculous when placed together. However, once I get sorted out I'll have to come up with some way of fastening them down, otherwise they'll get nicked. But also, I'd like to be able to "ring the changes" now and again. The same applies to people. I've ordered some so called 1:24 jobs, but the "catalogue" states that they are approx 3.4" tall, which makes them nearer 7ft tall in "real" life! So a bit of "cutting and shutting" will be called for! Really, how on earth can manufacturers get it so damned wrong! Bryan.
PS....I thought the only bright lights showing on Teeside came from whatever industry down there is still working. Be even dimmer when they all have to fit "energy saving" lamps. Now I see that "they" want to ban "spotlights" and so on. Where will it all end? In tears and rage I expect.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2009, 03:04:28 pm »

Surely a "Beetle" isn't that much larger than a Moggie? And is a Beetle really almost the size of a Camper Van? But all sold as being 1:24!

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2009, 07:41:00 pm »

See what you mean about the 'elastic' 1/24th vehicles ! Agree with you that a Beetle was never as big as a VW Camper and the Traveller must have been around the same size as the Beetle !
Nice (and sad) to see what's left of Smith's and the surrounds, I bet the apartments in the old 'Jungle' building are worth a few bob now, even more so when they don't have to put up with Jolly Jack and that bird Flora and all their pals making merry  ok2 . Now I see why the Crane pub was boarded up, an unusual idea but at least it preserved a bit of the atmosphere of the area.

If the weed problem persists, you could always visit the Shiels Club  %) I'm sure John would love to see you. Come to think of it I havn't seen him on the forum for a while. Hope he is ok.
Are you reading this John ? You ok ?

We're off to Cyprus in the morning for three weeks house-sitting - tough eh ! I'm not sure if their computer is working, so I might have some catching up on here in three weeks time.

Regards

Mike

ZZ56

« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2009, 10:24:30 pm »

Went down to the lake this morning and the weed is back thick enough to play cricket on. What a dreadful year for us this has been. I think I've only had a boat out twice.
As far as the vehicles are concerned I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've got some from manufacturers in Mexico, China and "Europe". And they all seem to have their own idea what constitutes 1:24 scale!. They look ridiculous when placed together. However, once I get sorted out I'll have to come up with some way of fastening them down, otherwise they'll get nicked. But also, I'd like to be able to "ring the changes" now and again. The same applies to people. I've ordered some so called 1:24 jobs, but the "catalogue" states that they are approx 3.4" tall, which makes them nearer 7ft tall in "real" life! So a bit of "cutting and shutting" will be called for! Really, how on earth can manufacturers get it so damned wrong! Bryan.
PS....I thought the only bright lights showing on Teeside came from whatever industry down there is still working. Be even dimmer when they all have to fit "energy saving" lamps. Now I see that "they" want to ban "spotlights" and so on. Where will it all end? In tears and rage I expect.

Brian,

Have you looked into Revell's 1:25th scale car kit lineup?  The difference would be negligeable and from what I've seen, they are true-to-scale. 

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2009, 10:58:37 pm »

Brian,

Have you looked into Revell's 1:25th scale car kit lineup?  The difference would be negligeable and from what I've seen, they are true-to-scale. 
Ta for that. I'll give it a swing and see what comes up.  Cheers. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2009, 05:34:48 pm »

What a great day at the lake! The weed has retreated a bit and so I could finally do a ballast check on the ferry. As always I find these first trials/checks a bit nerve wracking, especially when done in public....and under the friendly but somewhat jaundiced eye of our friend "Nemesis" (he didn't half choose his pen name well!). Actually, he's always a great help when it's needed.
But to my absolute delight "she" settled beautifully, and is absolutely stable. The square "box" in the middle of the boat weighs 26lb (I use it in "Baroda") and the front as yet unboxed lump at the front is about 12lb. So including the 2 batteries that will all come to around 50lb. The full hull and upperworks at roughly 30lb will therefore give me an AUW of perhaps 80lb. A bit under my original guestimate (although I could make it a bit deeper in the water if I need to).
Now to spend a few weeks wiring the it up correctly, and making "cradles" for the batteries and ballast blocks (to prevent them sliding around, and to make placement easier).
Honestly, I'm really chuffed now. It's been a bit of a slog at times, and it's so nice to see the model actually floating the way I imagined. The cars and passengers will soon be embarking, and some interior lights will come on as son as I can find a club member who knows how to wire up LEDs (me and electronics have a mutual antipathy).

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2009, 05:52:56 pm »

Well done Bryan, that second picture could almost be the real thing except for the lack of people!

Looking very good indeed.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2009, 06:00:18 pm »

Well done Bryan, that second picture could almost be the real thing except for the lack of people!

Looking very good indeed.

Colin
Just give me a little more time (a song title?). After that post, I think I'll make one of the passengers into a Bishop....any particular denomination? Perhaps a mullah me be more suitable! Thanks anyway. Bryan.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2009, 06:54:11 pm »

No need to represent me Bryan, I'm sure there are enough mitre joints in the model already....

Colin

hama

« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2009, 07:27:05 pm »

Congratulations! She looks super, I agree with Colin that she looks like the real one in that second pic ( OK, I haven't seen the real one but anyway ). Now some pictures of her decks full of "cargo" and her underway would be great!
All the best.
Hama

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2009, 07:29:31 pm »

No need to represent me Bryan, I'm sure there are enough mitre joints in the model already....

Colin
Colin, not quite the response I anticipated...but all the more welcome for it.
A touch more seriosly though, a guy I know in Barcelona with a huge model railway layout models and sort of names on people on people he has known. Nice ones and nasty ones. I intend to follow his example. At 1:24 scale I think I can do it. During my long and still ongoing cataloguing of ancient MB mags I have come across an early 1980s pic of you doing some judging. So the model may be of a "young" version. Hope you don't mind. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2009, 07:41:12 pm »

Congratulations! She looks super, I agree with Colin that she looks like the real one in that second pic ( OK, I haven't seen the real one but anyway ). Now some pictures of her decks full of "cargo" and her underway would be great!
All the best.
Hama
Thanks Hama. As I said, these were taken during initial ballasting trials. I do have some vehicles to place. But my idea is to have a "stock" of them so I can "ring the changes" as I feel fit. At the moment I'm musing over the idea of putting fixed fastening bolts upwards through the deck and make the corresponding fittings in the vehicles. But it (the ferry) is not a motor museum. I want it to be a ship model. Alas, I do acknowledge that "viewers" will pick up more on the cars, vans and people and ignore the boat. I'll have to learn to live with that. Unhappily.
Thanks for your reply. BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2009, 07:46:42 pm »

Immortalised on a Tyne ferry - who could ask for more?

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2009, 10:47:38 pm »

Immortalised on a Tyne ferry - who could ask for more?

Colin
maybe more like immorlised? Mortifed? or even immotrilised. Who knows. A bit like wriring a book and the characters just keep on leading you in. BY.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2009, 06:44:09 am »

Just caught up on your latest submissions and she looks absolutely great.  :-)) As has been said, that second picture could have been the real thing (and I have seen it !) I'm dying to make some silly pun about bishops and bashing them too much but I'll bite my tongue !
At the her weight and beam, she must have a 'presence' on the water. I bet she hardly moves to the waves.
Lovely stuff !

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2009, 04:34:14 pm »

Just caught up on your latest submissions and she looks absolutely great.  :-)) As has been said, that second picture could have been the real thing (and I have seen it !) I'm dying to make some silly pun about bishops and bashing them too much but I'll bite my tongue !
At the her weight and beam, she must have a 'presence' on the water. I bet she hardly moves to the waves.
Lovely stuff !

Mike
Mike, nice to hear from you again. I was really pleased with how easily she ballasted down. But I was completely surprised at how difficult it is to get the thing to "roll". Very hard pushing down on a side doesn't seem to make much difference to her "stance". Being a more or less "round" hull with no bilge keels I expected a certain amount of rolling and recovery...nope, she just wants to sit upright. All the time. I'll see what happens when I put the vehicles on the deck. Bryan.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.