Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: "Northumbrian"  (Read 113318 times)

sentry

Re: "Northumbrian"
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2009, 09:04:53 pm »

Bryan you have brought part of the Tyne back to life thank you Sentry.

madrob

« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2009, 11:02:56 pm »

The on the water shots are superb, and unusual subject but what a fantastic one, i take my hat of to you bryan

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2009, 11:17:24 pm »

Bryan,
Looking at that all-up weight, this is a rupture-inducing bit of (beautiful) kit. Is the ballast portable - to be fitted once afloat or do you have a fork-lift truck?

Regards

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2009, 05:34:37 pm »

Bryan,
Looking at that all-up weight, this is a rupture-inducing bit of (beautiful) kit. Is the ballast portable - to be fitted once afloat or do you have a fork-lift truck?

Regards

Barry M
Ah,Barry.....I presume you didn't read the preamble before viewing the pics! The whole caboodle is reasonably easily taken from wherever and put in the water. Most of my models are pretty heavy (ranging from 20lb to 110lb), so I've used what I call "handbags" to carry and place the ballast and batteries in place once the hull is in the water. The only (slight) problem with the ferry is the beam of the thing (23"), so I have to be extra careful not to clobber the side ramps when carrying/lifting it. I've found that the easiest way to carry it is, after lifting out of the trailer, just to twist the hull so the keel points outwards and the stbd side points towards the ground. Better balance for both me and the boat that way. By the way, can you recall what "Flora" looked like? I'll put her in as well....during an "off-duty" period. Cheers. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2009, 06:03:18 pm »

Bryan,

So little time and too many tasks! This plus finally admitting to myself what I had been trying hard to ignore; that an almost completed plug is just not right and will have to be remodelled.  Drat and double drat - or something like that  <:(

However, all is now clear and I am left with the mental picture of you and your handbags!

Flora, as  I recall, was a sweet girl filling in time as Resident Flower Arranger at the Jungle while awaiting the call to the Low Street Nunnery. She drank Newcastle Broon out of seaboots and was always ready to do Good Works for passing matelots.

Surely you remember her?  %)

Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2009, 06:51:00 pm »

I do hope we are not sliding into Actresses and Bishops here..... :P

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2009, 07:07:37 pm »

Bryan,

So little time and too many tasks! This plus finally admitting to myself what I had been trying hard to ignore; that an almost completed plug is just not right and will have to be remodelled.  Drat and double drat - or something like that  <:(

However, all is now clear and I am left with the mental picture of you and your handbags!

Flora, as  I recall, was a sweet girl filling in time as Resident Flower Arranger at the Jungle while awaiting the call to the Low Street Nunnery. She drank Newcastle Broon out of seaboots and was always ready to do Good Works for passing matelots.

Surely you remember her?  %)

Barry M
I think so. but she was too old (and worn) for me....but I can't recall the seaboots. Just the nuns "habit". BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2009, 07:08:51 pm »

I do hope we are not sliding into Actresses and Bishops here..... :P
I suggest you choose your words more carefully......BY.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2009, 07:35:08 pm »

Oh yes!  "Surrey Man found committing double entendre in the Forum." . I can just see the headlines.  :o

Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2009, 07:49:05 pm »

Quadruple Barry, I don't do things by halves..... ;)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2009, 08:00:46 pm »

As the Actress said to the Bishop?

BM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: September 29, 2009, 08:03:34 pm »

:} :} :}

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2009, 06:07:14 am »

Bryan,

So little time and too many tasks! This plus finally admitting to myself what I had been trying hard to ignore; that an almost completed plug is just not right and will have to be remodelled.  Drat and double drat - or something like that  <:(

Flora, as  I recall, was a sweet girl filling in time as Resident Flower Arranger at the Jungle while awaiting the call to the Low Street Nunnery. She drank Newcastle Broon out of seaboots and was always ready to do Good Works for passing matelots.

Surely you remember her?  %)

Barry M

BE CAREFUL !! From the description you are talking about my Aunt Florrie, a fine upstanding friend of the Merchant Marine and not averse to taking pity on any unfortunate shipyard worker as well, may she rest in peace  %) %)

Mike

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: September 30, 2009, 02:03:11 pm »

Mike,

Never for a moment would I cast doubt on the reputation of your Aunt Florrie (the “Sailors’ Friend”) who was well known for her charitable works. Why even her away-days to Betty’s Bar in Glasgow are still spoken of with some affection and, indeed, awe.

No, the Flora of whom I write had a far darker past which has been obscured by time and the Demon Broon Ale. Few people know that she was actually Fraulein Flora, the daughter of  Helmut Von und Oanlie and Ilse Von Aloan, conceived in an experiment to produce Hitler’s Ultimate Terror Weapon.

Shipped as deck cargo and landed by submarine at Whitley Bay, it was intended that she would shorten the war by causing havoc amongst local matelots but, seduced by the Demon Broon Ale, she threw in her lot (and it was a big lot) with the Allies and elected to raise the matelots spirits with her charitable works instead.

An imposing figure, modelled on a cross between Giant Haystacks and a Sumo wrestler with Desperate Dan’s chin (and his stubble), her peroxide locks tamed by a hairnet donated by a grateful trawler crew, she could be relied upon to keep order in the bar with one imperious sweep of her handbag. The fact that her handbag was usually weighted with old pipe flanges could not but help.

Confronted by this figure and her demands, few could resist – even when they wanted to – and often they were later grateful - usually when they were put down again. 

There is a rumour that Flora did find True Love in the arms of an Irish stoker who lost his way in the fog of Demon Broon Ale and a child was the result. Unable to keep the child, it was left on the steps of the Broon Brewery and raised by a couple who nothing of his background. The child was sent to sea with the RFA to keep him innocent and away from the Demon Broon. Alas, he still fell to temptation and was found in bars from Stanley to Sydney and Portsmouth to Malta.  It is said that the child, now a broken-down former seaman returned and settled in North Shields to ensure a regular supply of Broon Ale.

And Flora – what happened to her? Nobody really knows; perhaps she did enter a nunnery, perhaps not. But it is said that when mist wraps Tyneside in its oily embrace and the smell of Demon Broon hangs heavy in the air, seamen still look fearfully over their shoulders in case a heavy phantom hand descends on their shoulder, a pipe flange is heard to rattle in a tattered handbag and a ghostly baritone sounds in their ear with the fateful words, “Want an ‘orrible time, sailor?” 

Be afraid, be very afraid,

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2009, 02:39:49 pm »

We really do diversify on this thread...and all the more fun because of it. I guess that now I'll have to model a bard...perhaps 2, as you made no reference to the poor mites coat of many colours as mentioned by "Bluebird". But you (both) are factually incorrect. I hate, and always have, the Demon Broon. (Except perhaps Oor Wullie). As for the "other" Broon, the less said the better. It's surprising that such large Teutonic figures should produce such an insignificant little runt. Perhaps mother wasn't concentrating, what with everything else she was involved in. I never met "dad"....but he could have been a Lascar from over the water for all I know. Alas, the imbibing over on the South Shore had to come to an end as I found the bars becoming higher as I got older, and toting mothers weighted handbags for so many years (her only legacy to me) meant that although I avoided rickets many were ther impolite queries regarding my long arms and short legs. However, after vainly searching the entire planet in the company of a mad Dutchman for a spiritual home, I finally arrived at the doors of "Model Boat Mayhem" and to my delight found so many like minded loopy ( I hesitate over this word) "people". Long may it last. B von Y.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2009, 03:20:31 pm »

BarryM please accept my apologies for thinking you were casting aspersions on my dear old aunt Florrie. The Florrie of your acquaintance sounds a much more formidable lady, did she once frequent the Mechanics Arms in Shields by any chance ? perhaps under an alias for she certainly sounds familiar  :o
To you both I lift my rug as no way can I join you on such flights of entertaining fancy  O0 %%

Mike

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2009, 04:40:49 pm »

Gentlemen,

I confess to feeling somewhat guilty; a) for revealing the secret of Flora and b) diverting Bryan's excellent thread on the Northumbrian.

My apologies,

Barry M

PS. We never got round to Fauna - now she was a girl (subject to medical confirmation).  %)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2009, 05:29:57 pm »

Life IS a diversion. and building models in any form (apart from a female Frankenstein) is just part of the diversion. I welcome diversions. So do most people, I suspect. I really cannot see the personal benefit (except in cash terms) of having the work ethic of say the USA,China....oh, probably the rest of the world really. After a working "life" it's rather nice to be free of all that and just enjoy whatever comes along....with a bit of a nudge here and there. Keep up the banter. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2009, 07:08:44 pm »

Gentlemen,

I confess to feeling somewhat guilty; a) for revealing the secret of Flora and b) diverting Bryan's excellent thread on the Northumbrian.

My apologies,

Barry M

PS. We never got round to Fauna - now she was a girl (subject to medical confirmation).  %)
I think someone once told me that I had had a sister. The history, as I was once told it by a female bulbous bow lifter, was that after she had gained her 1st class degree (from Hartlepool University) in Biological Stimulation she went on to become an unknown recluse in a town called Peeterheed. Where I believe she ate fish and succumbed to a disease that only enhanced her resemblance to a Haddock. I believe that she was sort of buried in the N.Sea from a certificated biologically clean transient oil-rig. There is still an exclusion zone around this rig extending for 200 miles (seawards) from the town that emits poisonous gasses . Some apologists blame this on the underlying rock, but I have my doubts. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2009, 04:07:40 pm »

Finally got the old girl fitted out with vehicles and passengers (including Flora who, in typical fashion is shown letting it all hang out whilst chatting up a young guy who doesn't want to know...but I enjoyed painting her). Alas all the vehicles are left-hand drive as it would appear the only manufacturers these days are non-British. Even the guy reading the paper is readind a German one.  Everyhing went well apart from the rudder linkage coming adrift, but with both screws running (both turning outwards ) she was just as easy to steer on the throttles alone. Easily "fixable". I still fervently wish that the makers of the cars wouldn't stamp them 1:24 when quite plainly they are not all to the same scale when plonked on the deck. All I could do to reduce the visual anomaly was to space the obvious ones as far apart as possible.
So, dear followers of this thread, I've more or less done the job I set out to do over a year ago, and treating the build as a more or less full time job. A lot of work, even more thought and planning (I can afford to forget the problems now), and..of course..not forgetting the comfort and resilience given by the Laughing Cavalier. ("To copy it is Forgery", as it says on the tin). I may take some close-ups of the passengers, but that's "sometime".
Thanks for the moral help and comments.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2009, 04:25:28 pm »

Bryan,

Beautiful job with a very realistic finish. You can be very proud of that one.

I bet Flora Von und Oanlie would hug her little Bryan to her Bazooms - as long as the platoon of DLI would move over to make space.  %)

Cheers and more of the Laughing Cavalier all round

Barry M

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2009, 05:05:46 pm »

Any chance of a close up of Auntie Flora then BY...

I'm not of a nervous disposition and wonder how well you have captured Von Und Oanlie at 1:24 plastic....???

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2009, 06:08:36 pm »

Greg,

Wake up at the back there! Check the thread again to find out the true relationship between Flora Von Und Oanlie and Herr Bryan.

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2009, 07:12:04 pm »

Any chance of a close up of Auntie Flora then BY...

I'm not of a nervous disposition and wonder how well you have captured Von Und Oanlie at 1:24 plastic....???

Greg
Wait. BY.

sentry

« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2009, 10:45:15 pm »

Bryan,
Thank you for a great build and sharing it with us as you went,A nice model to most but to me more then that so many memories of my childhood  and of when the Tyne was a great river and not just as a nice walk as it is now, With great model makers like your self it gives me inspiration to try and made my next one even better.
                                                  Regards , Sentry.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.