Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: "Northumbrian"  (Read 113303 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Northumbrian"
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2009, 10:49:08 pm »

Bryan,
Thank you for a great build and sharing it with us as you went,A nice model to most but to me more then that so many memories of my childhood  and of when the Tyne was a great river and not just as a nice walk as it is now, With great model makers like your self it gives me inspiration to try and made my next one even better.
                                                  Regards , Sentry.
Thanks for that. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

ZZ56

« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2009, 11:19:04 pm »

Care to give away your secret for that fantastic black finish?  It's not too dark nor too grey. 

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2009, 09:00:51 am »

Bryan,
Thank you for a great build and sharing it with us as you went,A nice model to most but to me more then that so many memories of my childhood  and of when the Tyne was a great river and not just as a nice walk as it is now, With great model makers like your self it gives me inspiration to try and made my next one even better.
                                                  Regards , Sentry.

Couldn't have said it better, thanks Bryan for the sharing  O0

Mike

PS Looks like some pretty posh passengers were taking their cars ower the watter, she must be coming North to South ??  %)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2009, 09:53:45 am »

Superb photograph Bryan.....'Northumbrian' 19.10.09 - just for interest....over the past day we have been talking about vessel displacement  O0 ...so what does your build of 'Northumbrian' ...displace? .....regards Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2009, 10:24:56 am »

OK....just reread ...........19th  August 2008 of .....which will give an all-up weight of around 87lb (gulp)...so how close is that weight?  {-)  %%................Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2009, 11:08:22 am »

Care to give away your secret for that fantastic black finish?  It's not too dark nor too grey. 
No secret at all. The vents are sprayed with Humbrol Satin Black...3 light coats.
The smaller black bits are either one coat of matt black coated with 1 of satin black (tinlets), but I think the best black of all is the Humbrol tinlet of "Coal Black"....i think they do an aerosol of it and I would have used that if I could have found any locally. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2009, 11:17:44 am »

OK....just reread ...........19th  August 2008 of .....which will give an all-up weight of around 87lb (gulp)...so how close is that weight?  {-)  %%................Derek
Actually I guessed it would be heavier that it is. I think I originally assumed (thought, guessed whatever) that the hull was more "brick-shaped" than is the case. Particularly around the aft third of the hull, so it comes in at around 74lb. Not such a bad guess really from way back when I just had a bare hull and guessed the CoF.
Mind if I go on a bit more?
The bare hull with motors in and deck removed for carrying is about 20lb. Easy to actually lift, but the width(beam) of the thing plus the height of the ramps (5" or so) makes it a bit awkward to carry unless I twist the hull so the top is facing me. The 2 batteries are standard 12v-20a/h things. Main ballast is the 22lb "handbag". I like this method of ballasting as I use the lead I borrow from various public buildings (after all, I am part of the public, so I already own part of it) Cut the lead into 6" squares and lay yhe squares into the ally box until it's about right. (this way I can adjust the ballast for more than one model. Secondary "trimming" sheets are made up for each model. The rest of the weight is made up by the top decks and "sundries". Cheers. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2009, 05:55:29 pm »

Hope I'm not boring you rigid, but being such a grotty afternoon up here I thought I'd do the passenger pics. Most of them are self explanatory. I particularly like Mr.Glum. And Flora taking full advantage of every opportunity. Hope you like them.
(The pics are probably 2x the actual size).

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2009, 09:14:35 pm »

Superb build, Brian. I watched every step of the way. Well done.  :-))  :-))  :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2009, 04:46:01 pm »

As long suffering passengers on this scruffy old tub, we would all like to thank you for your patience....as we had to do for nearly a year. We all got to know each other quite well during the long wait, but poor Flora (being "self-employed, as it were) was left quite denuded (of cash, that is). The baby in the pram is now in school, the Norton motorbike is now a collectors item. Alas. the elderly lady and the gentleman reading his book both passed away on the maiden voyage. The NUFC supporter missed the trauma of the relegation, but ias apparently quite happy with the present situation. The "Glums" (bottom right) seperated when she wandered off to buy another packet of fags and couldn't find her way back to the landing stage. He smiles more nowadays. The "runner" with the 2 bags was arrested and given a caution for having only 20kg of something or other as it was for his personal (ab)use. Apart from that they are all doing well, and wish you all a very happy Xmas and a happy next years boating.

Shipwrecked

Re: "Northumbrian ferry"
« Reply #185 on: April 11, 2010, 04:50:40 pm »

Beautifully model Bryan and saw it this weekend at the North East Model Boat Show at Temple Park and well done on a well deserved 2nd prize ...and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Barada (Best of Show and 1st in catagory) is yours as well and an outstanding bit of work. :-))

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: April 12, 2010, 06:33:58 pm »

"Shipwrecked"....nice comments, thank you.
I'll tell you a little story about the show....if your'e interested.
The 2009 show (the first) didn't supply as many tables to TMBC as had been promised, and so all our boats / ships were crammed up sisde by side with really only the bows of the models visible. Not very pleasing to either the entrants or the visiting spectators. On the "assumption" that the same thing would happen again this year many of us at TMBC reduced their entries to allow more space. For myself, I was only going to enter "Northumbrian" as opposed to the 4 or 5 models I generally send to shows. Other club members did the same. So on the friday before the show opened when we took the models it was more than a bit of an eye-opener to discover that we had been allocated a huge stand..so really we could have shown more models without them being crammed up.
In "normal" circumstances the club hires a big van to transport the entered models. For reasons that I won't go into, the van didn't materialise so club members had to transport their own boats in their own cars. This obviously put a bit of a limit as to what could be transported. As I said, I had only entered "Northumbrian", but as "Baroda" was already in the trailer where it lives I dragged that along as well. When I got to the venue I thought how sparse the stand looked...and so Brian (brian_c) sort of coerced me into putting "Baroda" on to the stand. Then (!) he said he was going to enter it into the "competition"...nothing to do with me 'guv. So now the same ship has got 2 "best in show" awards that were totally unexpected. I'm quite sure that if some of our other "ship-builders" had known that our stand was to be so large, there would have been more models shown that are equally as good as "Baroda".
When I went back to collect my boats at the end of the show I was approached by a fellow modeller who was quite adamant that the "Northumbrian" should have all the vehicles and passengers removed as they were not part of "the model". I disagreed. After all, it is a model of a river ferry, and its stock in trade was to transport people and vehicles from one side of the Tyne to the other...so as far as I'm concerned they all remain where they are. Anyway, I don't build models to go "cup-hunting", I just do it to please myself.
The "Northumbrian" very nearly didn't make it to the stand at all. About half a mile from the venue the trailer dropped into a huge pothole...in the rear view car mirror I saw the model lift violently out of its cradle and my heart sank. With good reason. Without going into details a lot of work was needed with the aid of some superglue kindly loaned by a member of another club. (Green jersey, you know who you are, thanks, you were a life-saver!). BY.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: April 12, 2010, 06:52:18 pm »

Hi ya there Bryan

Let's explain why I said the figures should be removed from your model.   In my eyes - its like putting furry dice in a Rolls Royce - just a thing not to be done.

Your standard of build is of a very very high quality and the standard of vehicles and figures look a bit of a low quality - so therefore not matching your high standards of workmanship.

However, mind, my wife Margaret, disagrees completely with me - and she thinks they add a good deal of character.

What you must do Bryan, is leave the model the way you feel - take a pic of her on the water and show the photo in black and white - it will look smashing.   I have a pic of her illustrated on an 'old' postcard (black and white) and it does look authentic.

Keep on building - whats next.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2010, 06:56:58 pm »

Bryan,

Tell Flora to get off? It would take a brave man to do that.

Congratulations and well done. Wish I could have made it this year.

Regards

Barry M

yorkiej

« Reply #189 on: April 13, 2010, 12:23:12 am »

I saw your 'Northumbrian' at South Shields on Sunday.
I must say that I thought it was superb. The attention to detail was second to none for such an unusual subject.
My pal, who does not model, but appreciates the finer points as a critic, thought that it was first class. He used to see the real thing and thinks that he 'cruised' on it a few times along with his motor bike and moll !!!
Very well done.
Did you win a prize? If not, why not!
Cheers
John  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-) :-) :}

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: April 13, 2010, 11:43:00 am »

Hi ya there Bryan

Let's explain why I said the figures should be removed from your model.   In my eyes - its like putting furry dice in a Rolls Royce - just a thing not to be done.

Your standard of build is of a very very high quality and the standard of vehicles and figures look a bit of a low quality - so therefore not matching your high standards of workmanship.

However, mind, my wife Margaret, disagrees completely with me - and she thinks they add a good deal of character.

What you must do Bryan, is leave the model the way you feel - take a pic of her on the water and show the photo in black and white - it will look smashing.   I have a pic of her illustrated on an 'old' postcard (black and white) and it does look authentic.

Keep on building - whats next.

John

John...I like the idea of doing a "black and white" version. Why didn't I think of that first!
I disagree with you re the quality of the vehicles, but I'll meet you half way about the figures. Two reasons for this. The first is that I didn't really want the figures to overshadow the model, perhaps I wasn't as successful there as I wished. Secondly, (and this isn't an excuse), this ARMD in my right eye makes modelling (especially painting of small bits) almost impossible. This second reason is why I'll probably not be able to build another model, much as I would like to. I'm attempting a "rebuild" / refurbishment / repairs on c/s "Norseman" but find that doing perhaps an hour at a time is my eyesights limit. All a bit of a b....r really.
Cheers. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: April 13, 2010, 01:11:04 pm »

Like these any better,John?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #192 on: April 13, 2010, 01:42:29 pm »

:-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #193 on: April 13, 2010, 05:27:04 pm »

My offering, hope it evokes some memories in thanks for such a wonderful build.

Greg

PS- just to let you know-

-smoke from the funnel and soot marks to it's rear
-steam from the whistle
-land rover exhaust choking the other passengers
-marker bouy and black headed gull
-black headed gulls floating
-water at bow and stern 'chopped' a bit as scale speed never produces scale waves.
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: April 13, 2010, 05:40:50 pm »

I love it! Anyone else wanting a go? Love the smoke.....only wish I could doit for "real".....Thanks, Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: April 13, 2010, 05:49:07 pm »

I saw your 'Northumbrian' at South Shields on Sunday.
I must say that I thought it was superb. The attention to detail was second to none for such an unusual subject.
My pal, who does not model, but appreciates the finer points as a critic, thought that it was first class. He used to see the real thing and thinks that he 'cruised' on it a few times along with his motor bike and moll !!!
Very well done.
Did you win a prize? If not, why not!
Cheers
John  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-) :-) :}
Yorkie..thanks for your comments. The model only came in 3rd in its class....I say "only", but without regrets. I'm pleased that Tynesiders and others who recall these grotty, ancient but loveable things were reminded of days gone by. As I've said before, I build for my own amusement and hopefully to engender interest from others......matters not one jot if I "win" or not. Check out Gondoliers take on it. Lovely. BY.

bubbles

« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2010, 06:58:31 pm »

hi brian nice to see you at the lake today with your model,looking good, are you looking to do anything else mate or is the age thing keeping you from doing anymore builds :-)) >>:-( <*<

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2010, 08:27:55 pm »

The Northumbrian is so much more than an unusual model subject.  I also visited the show and enjoyed the wonderful display of model boats yet this ferry was unequivocally my favourite........ I'm not usually a fan of commercial subjects.  :-))

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2010, 06:28:15 pm »

Perkasaman: Thank you. Building the ferry seems to be a sort of fitting epitaph to my model ship/building "career"...but never say never. Perhaps the pic can transport you back awhile, when travel was so much more simple.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #199 on: April 20, 2010, 08:04:55 am »

Now that has to be the North Shields landing, judging by the luxury limo's coming off from Sandancer country ! Thanks for the picture Bryan (and the memories it evokes )

Mike
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.