Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best paper to mask a paint job?  (Read 2617 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
What's the best paper to mask a paint job?
« on: August 19, 2006, 08:06:54 pm »

Hi all.

Can anyone tell me the best paper to use for masking and, what tape to use to hold it in place?

Previously, I've uses a couple of layers of newspaper but this seems to let paint bleed through. Also, I'm aware masking tape isnt really good enough fot masking off (if you know what I mean!) as its uneven edges dont give a sharp line.

Any info gratefull accepted!  ;D

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
Re: What's the best paper to mask a paint job?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 08:12:39 pm »

I use ordinary brown paper, the sort sold for packaging. The best tape is the yellow Tamiya stuff, but you can get something just as good and much cheaper from any motor factors like Brown Brothers.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 08:33:47 pm »

I use note pad paper (because I've got a load). Any clean paper will do, preferably glazed. Unglazed paper will absorb the paint as you have found with newspaper. The other problem with newspaper is that it can leave black smudges from the newsprint - avoid it like the plague.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 11:26:56 pm »

A word of explanation on my earlier post, by ordinary brown paper I mean the fairly thin rather crackly stuff with a shiny surface, not the softer stuff with a slightly hairy finish. The tape I referred to is sold by motor factors for masking edges, it's usually about a quarter of an inch wide and smooth. It isn't crepe and stretchy like ordinary masking tape, which is usually much wider, and is fine for covering small areas, just don't try to use the ordinary stuff for masking the edges unless you want them a bit rough and uneven.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 01:16:12 am »

I use Tamia for masking and use old plastic bags for masking, free and non-porous.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 07:17:22 am »

I was about to suggest used poly. sheeting when shipmate beat me to it ! There is plenty of it about and free. Supermaket bags ( though many French supermarkets are not gving them out as readily thes days) and all kinds of packaging. The thinner grade stuff is good if you need to stretch it or mould it around a curve etc. It is impervious (you can cover any breather holes with sticky tape) and most stiky tape will hold it in place firmly.

I tend to mask with a good quality masking tape and then add the poly sheeting overlapping with Sellotape (or "Scotch" as we call it in France). This is cheaper than using masking tape to secure large areas of poly. sheet.

The only slight downside of using poly. sheet is that any waste paint dries more slowly on it than on paper, so be careful when you move it or work alongside it for a few minutes.

Roger in France.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 12:03:54 pm »

Again Tamiya masking tape, the widest available is 40mm across (£3.50 a roll) and has a clean crisp edge and will not bleed....remember you only get what you pay for!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 12:27:59 pm »

Sorry Roger, but you have further to travel, lol

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Roger in France

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 07:01:18 pm »

Well shipmate60 I posted a reply but it never seemed to register - I pressed "Post" twice, so I will try again...

"...further to travel..." ! Why would I want to travel? Here I have a longer boating season and when there is no boating there is always plenty of wine!

Roger in France.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.