Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reference material for Round Table-class minesweepers?  (Read 4585 times)

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
Reference material for Round Table-class minesweepers?
« on: August 28, 2009, 12:39:17 pm »

I'ill soon be starting work on Caldercraft's "Sir Kay" 1/48 scale Round Table-class armed trawler/minesweeper kit. I've been looking for reference material, particularly photos, online, but have not managed to find much; virtually everything I can find online related to this class of ships appears to be about the Caldercraft or Mountfleet models. All I've managed to find, other than some text data and a few very low-resolution photos, is John Lambert's plan set.

I'm particularly looking for any photos showing the ships painted in "Western Approaches" camouflage, as I plan to paint my model this way; also detail closeups, and anything clearly showing the "pennant number" on the hull, as the lettering style of the decal supplied in the kit doesn't look right to my eye (I could be wrong, though)

Also, for anyone who has John Lambert's plans (a set including plans of both HMS Sir Galahad and Sir Kay), how good are they compared to the ones supplied in the Caldercraft kit, in terms of detail - in particular, the smaller details of the superstructure, bulkheads and fittings? I'm considering buying the set, but do not want to spend £30 on them if they don't provide much more information than the ones I already have.

I plan to post my build online on MBM, as there seems to be very little online coverage of this kit compared to the Mountfleet Sir Lancelot, and it might be useful for other modellers to see how the kit goes together.

(BTW, I'm aware of this kit's tendency to be top-heavy, and will make sure to get the hull correctly ballasted before I start work on building the rest of the model! I have a fairly recent issue of the kit, which replaces some of the metal structural parts with ply, which should help reduce the topweight; I'll also probably replace some of the metal parts, such as the gun shields, with scratchbuilt styrene ones, which will be more in-scale in thickness as well as lighter)

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
Re: Reference material for Round Table-class minesweepers?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:16:00 pm »

If anyone else is looking for Round Table-class reference, this site has plans of them all (along with many more ships, merchant and naval) including the trawler "Star of Orkney" on which the design was based:

http://www.aberdeenships.com/browse.asp?searchFor=star+of+orkney

(Thanks to a member of Black Park MBC who told me about this site)

Still looking for camouflage photos, though!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.