Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things that go wrong when shopping...  (Read 3352 times)

andyn

Things that go wrong when shopping...
« on: August 20, 2008, 06:13:55 pm »

One word - AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just bought a NVidia GeForce graphics card online last Friday.

Came today after lunch.

Has a PCIE Interface, I need a plain PCI

Bare with me if you don't understand the last bit.

Phoned Currys, the man told me to take it into the store, two girls were at the customer service desk, who didn't have a brain cell between the pair of them. Once they eventually noticed me standing in front of their desk, they told me the store could do nothing about it. I then went home and phoned up again.

Spent nearly two and a half hours on the phone, being given about twenty different numbers to try. My nan had ordered the card for me last friday. The last number I was given said that Currys needed my Nan's permission for me to talk to them. After explaining all she had to say to them (she can use a computer quite well but doesn't know the first thing about them), she rang them up and allowed me to talk to them.

It is all resolved now, but to get the interface I need, I had to go down on spec.

I then retreated to a darkened room for a lie down.

Point of story, DO NOT BUY FROM CURRYS ONLINE UNLESS YOU HAVE FULL EXACTING DETAILS OF WHAT YOU WANT, AND THE DESCRIPTION ONLINE MATCHES IT. I am quite patient, but even this tested me.

Evening all, rant over

Andyn

Topic name changed - Admin.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Things that go wrong when shopping...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:34:46 pm »

I bought a graphics card recently as the on board graphics on my PC was acting up. I only needed a low spec card as you need to be careful about overloading your power supply if you get a high end one. When I was checking out the specs I realised that there are quite a few different options in terms of motherboard slots and output connections etc. and you have to ensure that the card will be compatible with your PC.

I got mine from PC World (same group as Currys) but having done rather a lot of homework I was able to tell whether the card I was offered was likely to be OK - it was!

I agree the whole area is a bit of a minefield though. On the plus side the card seems to work fine and it's on board memory has really speeded up the PC.

Colin

andyn

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:12:27 pm »

All I want it for is to run Lock On (a russian fighter sim) and Microsoft Flight Sim 2004.

May get Ship Simulator 2008/9, we'll see

Captain Povey

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 10:01:51 am »

Hi All, After some of my experiences with Curry's 'after sales service' I avoid buying anything from them on line or in the shop. Graham

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:46:06 am »

There seams to be some bad points about buying on line Andy but i had my probs in store with Curry's.
I bought a laptop ,and the salesman told me what it had ,full vista bloototh etcand i also bought the extended warranty which ,his words "if anything goes wrong or you spill anything on it  :) or drop it if we cant fix it in store we will replace it  :)" in other words its covered. Ha yeah right first thing the vista works is only a 28 day trial   :(, and after a word with them and Acer whose the laptop is i find that this new model only has a trial version of works ,so they fix it with a full version of home office  :) then the screen starts playing up ,all pastally ,painty and a quick phone call to their 24hr help line (Top tip don't ring the 0870 number go to saynoto0870.com and get the cheaper number 01482)and all they can tell me is take it to the store ,oh every time i go to the store its a 40 mile trip. So its into the store where they tell me i can have it back within 28days  {-)  {-)  {-) and the fix or replace in store bull shi$ ,and the send it to manufacturers .
Later that day they ring me up and tell me that as the fault is intermittent the (acer)manufacturer wont accept it back and when it goes faulty bring it back to store  >:( ,now i am getting cheesed off by now .
At home when i use the laptop the fault is still there so i give acer a ring (on the cheapy line) give them the serial number and arrange to have it returned via DHL, 2 days later i have a working laptop ,and Curry's have a nice letter in the post (registered of course) to customer complaints asking for my (well some of it) money back to which i get a letter saying that i had sent it to the wrong place  ??? and it has been forwarded to head office .
and a few days later a phone call with loads of apologies and some money back  ;D me happy now
the result yes buy from Curry's ,commet etc but either know what you want or take someone with you who does as they will say anything for a sale.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:33:34 am »

I've found ebuyer.com Ok on prices, nothing I've bought from them has gone wrong so don't know about after service ;D

I ordered a laptop of them a bit ago, at 7.45 in the evening, it came the next morning.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 11:52:46 am »

I would endorse eBuyer as an excellent online supplier. I rarely use their express delivery, as quite often you get it pretty quickly on their 'Super Saver' service. I also understand that their after sales service is pretty good, but never had to use it. I do usually know what I want after 40 years in IT :D

Barrie

Proteus

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 12:58:22 pm »

just a bit of ino about ebuyer , they no longer do Pay Pal although it shows it does on the site (pain)  >>:-(   >>:-(

but still a good place to buy from

Proteus

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 01:58:59 pm »

I would only consider buying the alleged warranty for a really top end item, and if I was doing that, I wouldn't be in Currys.  Which Mag have shown time and again that the extended warranties are a profit cow for the stores offering them, and usually there are real insurance companies out there that will do the same job, more efficiently and at lower cost.
Looking for computer bits, I usually wind up at CCLonline or saverstore, never had a problem with anything I've bought from either of them that wasn't my fault in the first place, and CCL at least seem to be knowledgeable and not just box shifters.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 05:01:13 pm »

I love E-Buyer, brilliant products ,only one thing the wharehouse/distribution center is literaly across the river from goole and they wont let me collect .costs me the same in postage over 5 miles as it does over 205 miles  >:( .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 05:58:49 pm »

.costs me the same in postage over 5 miles as it does over 205 miles  >:( .
daz

Thats the customs duties levied by the Republic of South Yorkshire when City Link take your purchase to their Sheffield depot and then back out {-) Incidentally, City Link are another of the reasons I like Ebuyer. About the only courier that doesn't have to ring me to find where my house is - I live on a main road :D

Barrie

das boot

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 10:56:48 am »

You wanna try shopping with my Sue.

Or maybe you don't.... >>:-(

Rich

RipSlider

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 09:40:37 am »

To be fair though, isn't some part of the problem that you purchased the wrong part in the first place?

If you specifically asked advice "I need PCI, rather than AGP or PCI-E, please can you tell me which one to buy?" and the curries staff gave you the wrong information, then this is a significant problem.

If on the other hand you purhased a PCI-E card without advice, and got it becuase the three letters at the start looked the same, then this isn't entirely Curry's fault. They could have made it a bit easier for you to return it, but they didn't cause the initial problem in this case.

Steve

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 10:26:07 am »

I have had exactly the opposite experience with Currys:-

We bought a posh Freeview box a couple of years ago which had a card slot for some extra services. After a while we decided we didn't want to pay eight quid a month for kids' cartoons etc so this facility became redundant. This is probably as well because the whole thing packed up after about ten months. It was duly returned under warranty and replaced without question with an identical box.

This new box went crook after another eight months (same fault), so I took it back. The item had been discontinued so I was offered a lower spec Freeview box and a credit note for the difference; don't forget I'd already had over a year's viewing out of the previous ones.

Six months down the line and Box #3 went pear-shaped. I returned it and it was replaced with a (now) cheaper model and we got a further credit note.

Finally, when Box #4 went the way of all freeview boxes, I took it back and was given a full refund for the balance.

Now it may be it's because I'm big and ugly and I was a Customs Officer for over 30 years that I somehow intimidated the poor souls at Currys. If so, then I apologise unreservedly but, hey..........over three years' Freeviewing for free is OK by me  O0

FLJ

FLJ

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 11:19:24 am »

I have had exactly the opposite experience with Currys:-
FLJ

Me too !!

A few years ago I purchased an answerphone from them. At 9 months it went wrong - took it back ( to a different branch !) - they had not got the same model so gave me a more expensive replacement - no charge.  10 months later this one failed - took it back - the model had now been reduced in price so they replaced it AND gave me a credit note for the difference between the original price, (which was of course more than I had originally paid),  and the current price.

10 months later this too failed - took it back and exchanged it for a even better model using the credit note for the extra cost !  This one is still working perfectly !

I quite like Currys  O0

Don B.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 02:43:22 pm »

Now it may be it's because I'm big and ugly
Not THAT big  :)
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Captain Povey

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 03:40:08 pm »

Not exactly shopping I know but incredibly poor service from yet another public body. I have waited for over 13 months for a renewal of my Firearms certificate. It arrived today - joy.  O0 No when I read it it was completely wrong.  :( I got on the phone and eventually spoke to the young lady who had processed my application.  >:( After explaining the errors she investigated two different computer systems and then cheerfully announced that she had forgotton to read a note she had posted to herself to update some of my details.  ::) She then decided to trust me to tear up what I had just received  :'( and she would send me another certificate. I wonder if that will take 13 months to arrive. If it does I will be close to the time for applying for another new certificate. And we are organising the next Olympics, oh dear. Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.