Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer software?  (Read 2409 times)

BlazingPenguin

Computer software?
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:37:53 pm »

Some here will be aware of the application 'ScaleCale' available free on the Edinburgh MBC website, very handy for estimates of size at different scales & reproduction percentages for sizes in PhotoShop etc.

Having recently acquired a new phone/PDA with Pocket PC capabilities, Ithought it would be fantastic to use this at my leisure and quicklly tried to install it on the PDA. Only to find that 'Pocket Pc's' require a different kind of program and will not run the application 'as is'....

Does anyone here have the capabilities to write this sort of thing, or convert the existing for use on a Pocket PC or PDA thats running standard Windows Mobile operating system?

Long shot? :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Computer software?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:04:07 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TugCowboy

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:12:13 pm »

Sadly I worked for the past 8 years as a computer programmer so yes I could do the coding. However I'm hardly a master modeller. Would somebody be able to give me the required calculations for the program to work out?
If so I'd be more than happy to give it a go, and stick a MBM logo on it etc should the Admins feel its something that the members might like?

Alex

Roger in France

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 06:27:42 pm »

Alex,

It would be good if you had a go.

May I suggest that when you get it done you send it to Martin (Admin) in a PM. Then he can take a decision about how best it should be presented on the site and if it should be "graced" with the Mayhem logo!

If you want any help or advice about getting it to martin, just ask.

Roger in France
Moderator.

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 07:29:38 pm »

Cheers 'TC' & Roger...

I had thought of a simple formula in Excel, but that would require a different worksheet for each 'scale' as I see it and very messy too.

The reproduction factor for Photoshop etc was previously found by: What you want, divided by what you have, multiplied by a 100 or something like that, I have it written down somewhere, so I can find that easily enough if we need that.

Like I said, being gadget mad, like most model boaters, I would have thought that such an application would be very handy in the workshop/desk at home, or at the pondside when considering that new project.

I know the ScaleCalc is royalty free and free to download, but I personally would have no problems with making a donation to the website if it ever became available for a copy of the application. Over to Martin on that one.

It would be great if you could pull this off Cowboy!  O0

TugCowboy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 07:42:52 pm »

I'm just having a play with ScaleCalc now and will see what functionality it has. I don't want to rip off their idea as thats just not cricket. But I'll see what is possible on a PDA.

Could be a fun project, as I said, I will need a help with the calculations but I'm sure MBM members can work on that while I do the geek stuff.

Alex

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 10:00:57 pm »

Perhaps contacting the original writer may prove helpful ?
Its free to download and distribute, but not available for PDA's or pocket pc's, even if was stated on the wrapper 'based on ScaleCalc' by "The mans name" for 'Model Boat Mayhem'...does that look like it will float?

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 09:59:31 am »

Hi Alex - do PDA's run Flash .swf applications?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

TugCowboy

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 11:01:11 am »

Some PDA's will run .swf but not all - Which is a shame :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.